Tandem Nursing Tribe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 462 Old 12-31-2006, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haven't been around much - lots of stuff going on. Both kids have Rotavirus - yey for BF but my poor sore nipples want a break! And it's my birthday too - not how I pictured spending it - gotta go call the ped while I am not chaging sheets...take care Mamas and I will write more soon!!!
#302 of 462 Old 12-31-2006, 03:00 PM

can I join? my dd is 32 mos, and ds is 2 weeks. ds is nursing pretty well, he has a great latch. But the whole tandem thing is kind of annoying me right now cause dd wants to nurse more than ds. I mean all the time. Boobies are the answer to everything. And she's not just asking, she's demanding, and super persistant, won't take no for an answer and singing "i want a boobie" all the time. It's kind of making me batty.
#303 of 462 Old 12-31-2006, 03:12 PM

ing:
#304 of 462 Old 12-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Hi, another joining in. I posted a thread yesterday in Breastfeeding and got one response telling me to come here. LOL!

DS is 15.5 months. I am 16 weeks pregnant and my milk is just about gone, aside from a few drops here and there. I think DS is weaning and it's been really really hard to cope with that thought.

It's nice to read some children continue to nurse even when there is no milk. I'm still holding onto hope that DS won't wean, but I'm trying to prepare myself.
#305 of 462 Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 PM

Checking in to say I just found out week before last that I'm not only pregnant but I'm halfway through and due in May!: I think I might have to look up triandem nursing although there are some days when DS doesn't ask to nurse.
Gotta go and look at the old posts.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#306 of 462 Old 01-01-2007, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
supa, I would disagree with many of these moms. I think with a child only 20 months old, he is too young for you to TTC. Accidents happen, I know, but I think kids deserve to nurse at least until they're 2.5, and you never know if your milk will dry up during a pg. But then, my mom was a la leche league leader, so I remember my sister nursing till she was almost 4! My nipples hurt excruciatingly when I was pregnant, my daughter was 26 months old when I got pregnant, and less serious about comfort nursing by then. But I do think our relationship suffered because it was too painful for longer nursing sessions, and I think that would be traumatic for a younger kiddo who was really into nursing. Plus she also lost quite a bit of weight. DD1 turned 3 a couple weeks after dd2 was born. Now that she's 3.5 and very helpful, I wish I'd gotten pregnant just a few months later, so that I could have guided her over the 3 yo obstinancies with more focused attention (and more exercise, lol). Adventures in Tandem Nursing is the book you're looking for, though!
#307 of 462 Old 01-01-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugchild77 View Post
Haven't been around much - lots of stuff going on. Both kids have Rotavirus - yey for BF but my poor sore nipples want a break! And it's my birthday too - not how I pictured spending it - gotta go call the ped while I am not chaging sheets...take care Mamas and I will write more soon!!!
Hope you are well soon. Wehad rotovirus tice in the last few months, and it SUCKS! I'm sorry you are going through that now. On the bright side your milk will help them get over it so much faster! Health to you mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post
can I join? my dd is 32 mos, and ds is 2 weeks. ds is nursing pretty well, he has a great latch. But the whole tandem thing is kind of annoying me right now cause dd wants to nurse more than ds. I mean all the time. Boobies are the answer to everything. And she's not just asking, she's demanding, and super persistant, won't take no for an answer and singing "i want a boobie" all the time. It's kind of making me batty.
My 4 yr old had been doing this too. I finally just started counting nursing sessions to keep me sane. I am nursing a 2 yr old, 4 yr old, and pregnant, with milk going bye bye. When my 4 yr old wants to nurse I ask him how many drinks, he gives me a number, then I count while he nurses(usually to 10), then he usually"sneaks" a few more drinks which makes him laugh, and that uaually tides him over for a bit. I think he is finally almost nightweaned using this meathod too. He was waking frequently to nurse through the night, and now it's once(even slept throught he might a few times recently), we count to 10 once or twice then he is fine and goes back to sleep. I am in heaven with this method. Not sure if it'll work for you, but thought I'd mention it. Seems like the more I put SAm off the more crazy, and insistent he would get, and the more often he would ask. GOod luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
ing:
hey mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
Hi, another joining in. I posted a thread yesterday in Breastfeeding and got one response telling me to come here. LOL!

DS is 15.5 months. I am 16 weeks pregnant and my milk is just about gone, aside from a few drops here and there. I think DS is weaning and it's been really really hard to cope with that thought.

It's nice to read some children continue to nurse even when there is no milk. I'm still holding onto hope that DS won't wean, but I'm trying to prepare myself.
All of my kids have nursed through with little to no milk. Even if your ds doesn't, he might start again once the baby comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
Checking in to say I just found out week before last that I'm not only pregnant but I'm halfway through and due in May!: I think I might have to look up triandem nursing although there are some days when DS doesn't ask to nurse.
Gotta go and look at the old posts.
WOW! That is so amazing! A lot to adjust to there! CONGRATULATIONS! We are on the road to triandeming I believe also, I can't wait to hear of your experience. LOL HOw old are your kiddos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
supa, I would disagree with many of these moms. I think with a child only 20 months old, he is too young for you to TTC. Accidents happen, I know, but I think kids deserve to nurse at least until they're 2.5, and you never know if your milk will dry up during a pg. But then, my mom was a la leche league leader, so I remember my sister nursing till she was almost 4! My nipples hurt excruciatingly when I was pregnant, my daughter was 26 months old when I got pregnant, and less serious about comfort nursing by then. But I do think our relationship suffered because it was too painful for longer nursing sessions, and I think that would be traumatic for a younger kiddo who was really into nursing. Plus she also lost quite a bit of weight. DD1 turned 3 a couple weeks after dd2 was born. Now that she's 3.5 and very helpful, I wish I'd gotten pregnant just a few months later, so that I could have guided her over the 3 yo obstinancies with more focused attention (and more exercise, lol). Adventures in Tandem Nursing is the book you're looking for, though!
You know that is a very personal decision, some moms may want thier kids close together, a LOT of kiddos do not wean, and a lot of moms only experience a little or no discomfort. I have a 9 yr old, 7.5 yr old, 4 yr old, and 2 yr old. My oldest weaned at 4(nursed him through pregnancy, he was 7 months old when I got pregnant), my dd weaned a month before she turned 5(nursed her through pregnancy, miscarriage, and pregnancy again), my 4 yr old was nursed through pregnancy, and is still nursing, and obvioulsy my 2 yr old is still nursing. Each one of my experiences was different in milk production, pain, and all of my kids nursedw throwugh with little to no difficulty. It is wonderful for kids to nurse for as long as possible, but even if a kiddo was to wean at 2 because of a pregnancy, that is still a WONDEFUL start to life.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#308 of 462 Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 PM

hey there--

for what it's worth, i'm not going to be ttc for at least a few months. probably not until the summer, actually, and it's really hard for me to think of ds not getting the nursing that he's used to! i love our nursing relationship and i'm not ready for it to stop. however, i am going to be turning 38 this summer and i don't want to wait too much longer to have our second. i'm hoping that my nipples don't get too sore, that he wants to continue to nurse even if there's not a lot of milk, that we all enjoy the addition to our family, and that the next pregnancy is extremely different from my first. i wish it were an "easier" decision.

--dara

p.s. i already have adventures in tandem nursing (haven't started reading it yet). i thought maybe there were kids books that addressed these issues.
#309 of 462 Old 01-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Oh, I wonder if there are. I would love a kids book on a nursling expecting a new baby! I might just hae to get my pen to paper.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#310 of 462 Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 PM

I am so excited to find this tribe! I think I may be pregnant again and I am nursing my 14 mo. old son. I hope to keep nursing throughout the pregnancy (if I am pregnant) and then tadem nurse.

I ovulated last Friday so I guess I will know for sure if I am pregnant soon. Can I join?
#311 of 462 Old 01-08-2007, 06:33 PM

Okay guys, I saw this and it kind of put tandeming into a better perspective!
#312 of 462 Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMommy View Post
that is so funny! ANd I am SO GLAD I only have 2 nipples!

#313 of 462 Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM

Mamamoo!!!

I LOVE your DDDDC!

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#314 of 462 Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
Oh, I wonder if there are. I would love a kids book on a nursling expecting a new baby! I might just hae to get my pen to paper.
There is a new book out called Near Mama's Heart
http://www.mybabyandmore.com/NearMamasHeart.html
or
http://www.amazon.com/Near-Mamas-Hea.../dp/1412079195

It has a variety of nursing situations in it, maybe preg?
It was favorably reviewed in Hip Mama

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#315 of 462 Old 01-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks.

That book looks really cute!

#316 of 462 Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMommy View Post

That's great! My momma cat is still nursing her one and only kitten and kitten is 14 weeks old! I guess I have set a good example!

I am new here. I am Lanie and nursing my 30 month old dd and I am 36 weeks pg so will be tandeming soon! It will be fun, I think. Dd is so excited about it! She talks all the time about how she will nurse like this and baby will be here and nursing like this, etc.

I do have a question for all of you that I can't seem to get many answers for. I have been having alot of strong contracts when I nurse and for awhle after. I am wondering if this might help labor come a bit earlier. Opinions?

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#317 of 462 Old 01-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Congratulations! It will be fun.

About the labor thing, I really think it depends on the person. I have nursed through a few times now, and each one was different. MY dd1 was 4 days "late", my ds was 2 weeks early, and my last little one was a day "late". I nursed a lot with all of them. I do know that some people have had problems with preterm labor though. So like I said it all just depends.

#318 of 462 Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 PM

Labor question...it did not make a difference for me. DS was born at 37 weeks, nursed all through pregnancy with DD, and she was born at 39 weeks.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#319 of 462 Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 PM

#320 of 462 Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 AM

Just checking in,
Still going strong, my DD sometimes is getting on my nerves nursing and I am trying not to let her know that.
She's all about "me too" when her baby brother nurses

Oh well.
I love them both and woul;dnt have it any other way

#321 of 462 Old 01-18-2007, 10:51 AM

any birth announcements?
#322 of 462 Old 01-18-2007, 02:30 PM

Hi ladies.....I have been subscribed to this thread for awhile and learning what I can from you ladies.

I just had my son, Oren, on Dec 27th and have officially been tandeming him and my 2yo DD since! So far things are going pretty well, although my nips are sore from so much use! We are working on boundaries with my DD b/c she wants to nurse everytime I nurse Oren, but she seems to be doing ok overall other than acting out more than usual. I try to have dedicated 1-on-1 time with ehr each day and it seems to help. She is mostly very loving and eager to help out with the little guy.

Anyway, I have my birth story with great pics a friend of mine took on my blog which can be found here:
http://blog.myspace.com/aspenraynedragon

I'm glad to now be officially part of this tribe!
#323 of 462 Old 01-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenRayne View Post
I just had my son, Oren, on Dec 27th and have officially been tandeming him and my 2yo DD since!

Congratulations! Welcome baby Oren. And welcome to the tandem nursing tribe mama! Have a blessed babymoon.
#324 of 462 Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 PM

ooh ooh can i join!!! i'm 17 weeks preggers and nursing my 20 mo. old.. he has definitely cut down a bit but i'm sure we'll make it through to the other side.

so please tell me there is hope for my sore.. sore nipples.. when the baby is born and the milk is replenished to the nipples get better???

please say yes ... please say yes
#325 of 462 Old 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Congrats Melissa on Oren's birth!
Am I reading correctly that he was born on his EDD?
Your birth story was beautiful.

Welcome to tandeming

#326 of 462 Old 01-20-2007, 11:40 AM

Melissa, what a beautiful birth story, and especially beautiful baby!

Kat, yes the sore nipples DO get better! I found that when nursing while pg that making sure I drank plenty of water made a difference too. I found that during the really newborn stage, my nipples got a little sore just because her latch was different from his, but quickly resolved once she figured things out better.

Last month I had the "joy" of getting my first PPAF back since the birth of DD, and now I have been feeling really PMSy the last few days, but no AF yet. It came back pretty regular after having DS, though with a short luteal phase that gradually lengthened. Did you find that tandeming made a difference in AF's regularity vs. just nursing one?

Also, I am officially now nursing two kids who can verbally ask for their milk! DD just started saying "muh? muh?" now as well as signing milk when she wants to nurse.

It is very interesting nursing a toddler and a preschooler. Sometimes they both lay quietly and hold hands and giggle at each other, other times he is pushing her away, and she is trying to kick him. She is definitely way more wiggly while nursing than he ever was, but she has been that way since in the womb, so it makes sense.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#327 of 462 Old 01-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmamma View Post
Last month I had the "joy" of getting my first PPAF back since the birth of DD, and now I have been feeling really PMSy the last few days, but no AF yet. It came back pretty regular after having DS, though with a short luteal phase that gradually lengthened. Did you find that tandeming made a difference in AF's regularity vs. just nursing one?

Also, I am officially now nursing two kids who can verbally ask for their milk! DD just started saying "muh? muh?" now as well as signing milk when she wants to nurse.

It is very interesting nursing a toddler and a preschooler. Sometimes they both lay quietly and hold hands and giggle at each other, other times he is pushing her away, and she is trying to kick him. She is definitely way more wiggly while nursing than he ever was, but she has been that way since in the womb, so it makes sense.
ONce I got my af back I was always very regular, never a missed period or anything. Sure you aren't pregnant?
I know what you mean about the toddler/preschooler thing. It is so sweet sometimes, and yet just so plain hard sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenRayne View Post
Hi ladies.....I have been subscribed to this thread for awhile and learning what I can from you ladies.

I just had my son, Oren, on Dec 27th and have officially been tandeming him and my 2yo DD since! So far things are going pretty well, although my nips are sore from so much use! We are working on boundaries with my DD b/c she wants to nurse everytime I nurse Oren, but she seems to be doing ok overall other than acting out more than usual. I try to have dedicated 1-on-1 time with ehr each day and it seems to help. She is mostly very loving and eager to help out with the little guy.

Anyway, I have my birth story with great pics a friend of mine took on my blog which can be found here:
http://blog.myspace.com/aspenraynedragon

WOW! WHat an amazing, inspiring birth story. You have a beautiful family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katarn View Post
ooh ooh can i join!!! i'm 17 weeks preggers and nursing my 20 mo. old.. he has definitely cut down a bit but i'm sure we'll make it through to the other side.

so please tell me there is hope for my sore.. sore nipples.. when the baby is born and the milk is replenished to the nipples get better???

please say yes ... please say yes
Oh, yes! It gets much better! I can't believe I forget about the pain of nursing while pregnant everytime. Mine is not unbearable, but it is definitely uncomfortable. Hang in there! I promise it gets better!

#328 of 462 Old 01-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
ONce I got my af back I was always very regular, never a missed period or anything. Sure you aren't pregnant?
Pretty sure... I am charting and I don't even think I have ovulated yet this cycle. Here is my chart if you are interested. Jill's Chart

#329 of 462 Old 01-20-2007, 05:29 PM

guess that is not it then. I have no clue how to read the charts, wish I did.

#330 of 462 Old 01-21-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes! It gets much better! I can't believe I forget about the pain of nursing while pregnant everytime. Mine is not unbearable, but it is definitely uncomfortable. Hang in there! I promise it gets better!

Quote:
Kat, yes the sore nipples DO get better! I found that when nursing while pg that making sure I drank plenty of water made a difference too. I found that during the really newborn stage, my nipples got a little sore just because her latch was different from his, but quickly resolved once she figured things out better.
thank you for responding.. and thanks for the tip about the water.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page