Tandem Nursing Tribe - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 462 Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chiming in here a month after DD was born but my older babe who weaned during my pregnancy is now successfully nursing again! Yay!
I can't nurse them both at the same time though.
#362 of 462 Old 03-13-2007, 07:58 AM

Hello!
I am NOT pregnant! Yey! Being preggo w/number 3, having a new 2yo and a 4mo would have been a little...challenging to say the least while I finish my coursework for my Master's degree! Tandeming is going a lot better now that I am remembering to eat and drink a lot of water...it makes pumping smoother too. I have learned the fine art of distraction after both kiddos have nursed in the am so I can pup my little heart out...I also "power pump" after each feed when I can becasue any little ounce of "liquid gold" helps. Moo...
#363 of 462 Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 AM

I forgot to say congrats and welcome to the new tandem Mamas!
#364 of 462 Old 03-13-2007, 11:45 AM

I can relate sooooo much to the HUGE TODDLER syndrome! She seems bigger and so much more mature compared to my 2 mo old! It is nice to nurse her and remember she is still my little girl.

I also can't seem to nurse them both at the same time for more than a minute or so, it's just too overstimulating. Does this stay like this or does it get easier? I have to be VERY distracted to be able to stand it for very long. I wuld just like to be able to nurse both at once for convenience sake and I hate telling DD no and seeing her sad face She seems to understand, though, that the baby needs the milk and she can have snacks.
#365 of 462 Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Hello! I am a tandem momma of two...one is three and the other is 2.5 M. So far, it has been great. I felt much more touched out when I was pregnant and nursing. My older dd nurses a lot and has gained almost 10 lbs, which worried me slightly, but I do think she will even out again. It seems that she gained a big part of that during the first month of the adjustment.

the hardest part of tandem for me is when the girls need to go to bed and the baby is fussy. We have been fighting colds here so that has been a bit rough.

we do a lot of nursing together...and, it is quite nice.
#366 of 462 Old 03-13-2007, 11:56 AM

I know other mommas have had different experiences but I wanted to say that I never really enjoyed nursing the two at the same time. The only times I tried after a while were out and about as strange as that sounds. I have one very vivid memory of sitting in the quiet room at the children's museum, ready to cry, nursing both babies to calm them from all the craziness, my older two sitting with me reading and waiting. People kept coming into the room, staring and leaving all except for one woman who stayed and asked so many questions. I then went on to change the cloth diaper and put the baby in the sling. Oh my, that was my bit of activism for the day.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#367 of 462 Old 03-13-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Chiming in here a month after DD was born but my older babe who weaned during my pregnancy is now successfully nursing again! Yay!
I can't nurse them both at the same time though.
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugchild77 View Post
Hello!
I am NOT pregnant! Yey! Being preggo w/number 3, having a new 2yo and a 4mo would have been a little...challenging to say the least while I finish my coursework for my Master's degree! Tandeming is going a lot better now that I am remembering to eat and drink a lot of water...it makes pumping smoother too. I have learned the fine art of distraction after both kiddos have nursed in the am so I can pup my little heart out...I also "power pump" after each feed when I can becasue any little ounce of "liquid gold" helps. Moo...
YAY! That would have been really tough! I must remember to drink more water. I try but it seems like I need 2 gallons a day to feel good. LOL (nursing 2 and pregnant, and plus sized!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenRayne View Post
I can relate sooooo much to the HUGE TODDLER syndrome! She seems bigger and so much more mature compared to my 2 mo old! It is nice to nurse her and remember she is still my little girl.

I also can't seem to nurse them both at the same time for more than a minute or so, it's just too overstimulating. Does this stay like this or does it get easier? I have to be VERY distracted to be able to stand it for very long. I wuld just like to be able to nurse both at once for convenience sake and I hate telling DD no and seeing her sad face She seems to understand, though, that the baby needs the milk and she can have snacks.
Awww...you know there are times I can do it and times I absolutely can not. The only time that it didn't really bother me much was with my first two, and they were only 16 months apart...my older ds was not very into food at all, so breastmilk was the majority of his nutrition. It was also the only time my milk suplly didn't drop...

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#368 of 462 Old 03-13-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnviolet View Post
I felt much more touched out when I was pregnant and nursing. My older dd nurses a lot and has gained almost 10 lbs, which worried me slightly, but I do think she will even out again. It seems that she gained a big part of that during the first month of the adjustment.

the hardest part of tandem for me is when the girls need to go to bed and the baby is fussy.
I felt more touched out while, pg as well. And I also noticed my 2.5yo gained some weight in the month after DS was born, but it's evening out now, I think she was just excited to have milk again!

I also struggle with nap time when DH isn't here to hold the baby and DD needs to get to sleep but DS wants to be held....we are slowly finding a routine!
#369 of 462 Old 03-16-2007, 11:51 PM

I am pretty new to the world of Tandem: ds1 is 2.5 yo and ds2 is 1 mo. We are enjoying the experience. Ds1 is dealing with sharing his boobies much better than I expected. He is nursing primarily at nap time, bed time, and through the night. Iwill nurse him at other times, but I do ask him to wait more frequently than I realized. Ds2 just goes with the flow of it all!
One thing that surprised me the most was ds1's diaper. I wasn't expecting to see massive quantities of newborn poop! Ds1 is hardly eating any solid foods right now, over 80% of what he's taking in is bm. He's just really excited to have milk after 7 months of dry nursing.
I'm glad this tribe is here. I don't really know many people who have tandem nursed, let alone anyone who is currently.
#370 of 462 Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM

Just bumping this

I have been tandem nursing for about 5 1/2 weeks now! It is not at all like I'd expected... when I was pg, all I wanted was to give DS my milk again! But now that the baby is here, he has gotten pretty possessive of nursing (he is possessive of everything else too though...) and I have had to put some limits on how long he nurses because he sucks SO hard and his teeth leave little indentations in my areola!! He has accepted the limits but it was hard for him in the beginning...

It is really great, though, to have a toddler help me with my oversupply and it was wonderful for engorgement in the beginning... I think he helped my milk come in faster too!
#371 of 462 Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Good to hear that the mom's new to tandeming are having a good experience.
#372 of 462 Old 04-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Well...we have made it 5 months and are still going strong! Kiera is only nursing 1-2 times a day now unless she has a needy day. Devin is still EBF and I plan to do so as long as she wants to; Kiera didn't really eat solids until a year or so because she just wasn't interested. Although I rarely nurse them together I do love it when I do since Kiera is so gentle with the baby and Devin LOVES LOVES LOVES to play with her sister while nursing. My beautiful girls...I will have to post a recent pic of them nursing together. And I am taking the comments about weaning from people like my Mom and MIL in stride...I am certainly a master at chaging the subject now! Hugs and big glasses of water to all you tandem/triandem ladies!
#373 of 462 Old 04-15-2007, 03:20 PM

Yay! SOunds liek it's going well! I am getting nervous about nursing three, but Sam has really cut back so much, that part is nice...I am actually worried about him gaining a lot of weight when my milk comes in though(is is very overweight already)...we'll see.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#374 of 462 Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Just wanted to bump this... I still would love to have a pregnant/tandem nursing subforum... been asking for one for a while!
#375 of 462 Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 PM

I'm checking in... going on 4 months of Tandeming!

DD 2.5 years still asks to nurse a LOT and would probably go back to being EBF if I let her. I usually end up nursing her 2-5 times a day depending on what we are doing. Her favorite times to nurse are right after waking and before nap and bed time, so that is when we usually nurse. She is also happy to relieve me when I get engorged b/c my DS 3 mo goes long stretches without nursing sometimes.

DS 3 months is doing great and already 18 lbs so I KNOW he is not lacking at ALL in the BFing dept. Sometimes he has trouble keeping up with my firehose letdown reflex and sometimes has trouble latching if I am too full, but is a champ nurser who will usually bounce easily between EBM in a bottle(to give me a little break!) and BFing pretty easily.
#376 of 462 Old 04-17-2007, 03:14 AM

Hi Mamas. I posted when this thread first started and then couldn't find it for awhile and then forgot it was here . I have been trying to read through all that I've missed.
Hope it's okay for me to join in again.
I have been tandem nursing for 3 months now and it has been going pretty good. It has definitely made the transition for ds much easier. Lately though he has been wanting to nurse all the time. I am having a rough time with this because I just feel so drained. He has been throwing fits if I try and set any limits. If and I mean if I am able to distract him for a few minutes as soon as we are done with whatever we are doing he is immediately asking to nurse again. He has actually been picking on his sister if she is nursing and he wants to. I have nursed them together a few times, but it is really hard for me and not comfortable.
I guess I am wondering if I am wrong for wanting to set limits? I do not want to wean him I just want him to not nurse every time I sit down.
#377 of 462 Old 04-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Bigislandmama... you are NOT wrong at all in wanting, and needing to set limits!! I think nursing a toddler is something a mom needs to be OK with, and enjoy... and if you need to set limits, that's ok! Your toddler will come to accept them. It's not comfortable for me to nurse both mine together either so I nurse them separately. I regularly tell my DS that he can have pizza, ice cream, peanut butter and jelly, etc. but DD can't because she is too little... and I tell DS that I am very happy to be able to give him nursies still... and I reassure him that there will always be more chances to nurse when I have to stop him. He was not happy but he has accepted it. It's really the only way I could continue to nurse two.

Have you read Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flower? If not, please get yourself a copy! It's excellent, I have found it very helpful and reassuring! These feelings we are having are all normal!

Some moms find it helpful to have toys that only come out when you're nursing the babe... is this something that might help you?
#378 of 462 Old 04-17-2007, 12:54 PM

Hi all, I'd like to chime in, I've been tandem nursing for 6 months now with my twin daughters. It was really hard at first when I was just learning how to nurse and they were learning how to latch, but now it's second nature and makes nursing so fast so we can get on with our day and play! I do love nursing one at a time too, especially when laying in bed trying to get a few more minutes of sleep in the morning...

I haven't seen any twin moms on here... didn't read every post though.
#379 of 462 Old 04-20-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
Bigislandmama... you are NOT wrong at all in wanting, and needing to set limits!! I think nursing a toddler is something a mom needs to be OK with, and enjoy... and if you need to set limits, that's ok! Your toddler will come to accept them. It's not comfortable for me to nurse both mine together either so I nurse them separately. I regularly tell my DS that he can have pizza, ice cream, peanut butter and jelly, etc. but DD can't because she is too little... and I tell DS that I am very happy to be able to give him nursies still... and I reassure him that there will always be more chances to nurse when I have to stop him. He was not happy but he has accepted it. It's really the only way I could continue to nurse two.

Have you read Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flower? If not, please get yourself a copy! It's excellent, I have found it very helpful and reassuring! These feelings we are having are all normal!

Some moms find it helpful to have toys that only come out when you're nursing the babe... is this something that might help you?

Thank you for your kind words. The past two days have been a lot better. I have had the chance to do more activities with him and that really helps. I am starting to wonder if it is a growth spurt as well as just needing my comfort.
I do the same as you by reassuring him that he will have more chances to nurse and letting him know that I love nursing him and that it is special time for us.

I haven't been able to find a copy of the book. I would love to find one for a good price. Maybe I will look on the trading post. Thanks for the recommendation.
#380 of 462 Old 04-20-2007, 05:16 AM

Pleidas, fantastic job nursing 2 from the get go! You are very welcome here, but you should also check out the mulitiple subforum....and this link shows that there are lots of mama's EBFing twinshttp://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=643719

I agree about the subforum...it's desperately needed for pregnant while nursing and tandeming. And this thread gets buried so quickly lots of tandem mama's or to be don't know it's here. I've thought about asking if this could be a stickie but would that actually help?
#381 of 462 Old 04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
jkg

I found this thread at just the right time! I'm tandem nursing my 2 y/o ds and my 1 month-old ds. I am having a very hard time finding a comfortable position in which to nurse them simultaneously. I end up nursing them one after the other, but since ds2 needs to nurse so much more often, ds1 has been becoming resentful and impatient. I am also experiencing a huge decrease in supply in the evening, which poses a problem because I have two sleepy boys wanting to nurse. i do not have a supply problem during the day. Any suggestions are appreciated!
#382 of 462 Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM

nak

Some moms find it helpful to have activities/toys that ONLY come out when you're nursing the baby. It is hard on the older one to have to share nursing with the little one... but I think in time, he will see that he's still got his mama! It can be hard though... I felt the same way when DD was born.

It's normal to have a supply decrease in the evening... I found I had to think ahead about which breast to offer my son, so my daughter wouldn't get frustrated when my flow was slower than she's used to.
#383 of 462 Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 PM

i just wanted to chime in here, because i have recommended this thread to lots of mamas who have recently had number 2 and i haven't seen any of them. now, that might be because they haven't had the time, don't have the interest, or whatever, but it also might be because it gets really hard to find! i also know a number of people who are pregnant and nursing and who need support.

--dara
#384 of 462 Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Hi tandem mamas! Haven't been here since I was pg but now I am a full-fledged tandeming mama. I nurse both of my dds (3 and 11 weeks). The best position that has worked for us is both dds laying with their heads together and bodies to the outside. I don't like nursing them at the same time at all but if dd makes me that is our preferred position It really has been challenging for me to sit and nurse so much but I have really been trying to make an effort for Maren so that she doesn't feel slighted by her little sister. She wants to nurse now more often than before but I figured that would happen now that I have a ton of yummy milk!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#385 of 462 Old 04-21-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa View Post
i just wanted to chime in here, because i have recommended this thread to lots of mamas who have recently had number 2 and i haven't seen any of them. now, that might be because they haven't had the time, don't have the interest, or whatever, but it also might be because it gets really hard to find! i also know a number of people who are pregnant and nursing and who need support.

--dara
I have been asking for a pregnant and tandem nursing subforum but they keep ignoring me! I really think we should have one, with the number of us here who are in one or the other situation!!
#386 of 462 Old 04-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Just checking in to say that I am also tandem nursing DS (31 mos) and DD (7 mos) although I am not as generous as many of you-- I limit DS nursing to 2-3 times per day: naptime, bedtime, and maybe one other time. I also limit the amount of time DS nurses. Sometimes I feel like I am wasting away to nothing weightwise trying to keep up with both nurslings (I should mention both kids are very big: DD is already 24 lbs!) despite eating everything I can get my hands on!

Anyway, I agree it would be nice to have a subforum. I don't have any questions or concerns at the moment, it actually feels quite natural to be nursing them both, but it's a bit lonely since I don't personally know anyone else who has done it.

-dflanag2
#387 of 462 Old 04-21-2007, 01:18 PM

I'll join in! I'm tandem nursing my 7 week old and 3.5 year old. My big guy was nursing like crazy for a few weeks,and now has backed off to somewhere between once and 3 or 4 times a day.

the most comfortable position for nursing both of them right now is with baby Ford cradled in one arm and big Alexander either beside me or on my lap with my arm with baby in it resting on him. But God help me if my nose itches!
#388 of 462 Old 04-21-2007, 10:38 PM

well i went and sent a pm to the mod asking for this thread to be a sticky. maybe that'll stand out more for tandeming or tandem to be mama's. if the thread can show that enough mom's are interested in tandeming, maybe we can finally get a tandem subforum.
#389 of 462 Old 04-22-2007, 03:22 AM

I'd love a subforum too. I'm new to this and I'm sure I'll have many questions.

I'm nursing my 3 week old and 25 month old. My toddler nurses a ton lately, and almost always wants to when the baby is. He also wakes up a couple of times at night to nurse so I'm exhausted.

Has anyone had problems with the younger one gaining enough weight? My 3 week old is just now right back up to his birth weight. I was a little worried because my first 3 all were back to their birth weight a couple days after they were born and this one lost a pound and then took forever to gain.

I just worry that my 2 year old is getting most of the hind milk and of course it doesn't help that the baby falls asleep easily everytime he nurses.

But I do love tandem nursing and I know my toddler is not near ready to wean, I'm just trying to figure it all out and let my milk production regulate for two

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#390 of 462 Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 AM

Hi all,

I am nursing my 38 month old dd #1 and 4 month old dd#2. At first, dd#1 wanted to nurse every time my newborn was nursing and I let her. Later, however, I realized she was asking because it was a sort of a game for her, will mom let me or not. So I always first make sure she isn't hungry and offer her solids, very often she will eat instead of nursing. Also, she stopped asking all the time, I think, around 8 weeks or so. Now, with dd#1 we are down to 2 or 3 times a day, before sleep and once during the night.
I actually find it really difficult to nurse dd#1 as every time I do, I feel touched out or am agitated and that makes me very uncomfortable. I was always pro CLW but tandem nursing is completely new aspect of CLW. I could easily imagine nursing dd#1 for a long time if she didn't get a little sister, if you KWIM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page