Tandem Nursing Tribe - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2007, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... tandem-nursing in public? How did you handle it? My dd will be 19.5 months or so when this babe is born and I don't think that's old enough to understand "you need to wait a bit."

I'll be slinging the new babe more than not so maybe I can hide the fact that I'm bfing the baby from dd most of the time we're out and about?

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya View Post
I'll be slinging the new babe more than not so maybe I can hide the fact that I'm bfing the baby from dd most of the time we're out and about?

love and peace.
You got it

I've usually just had them take turns. Like at a restaurant where dh can entertain/hold the other one. A lot of places i go to that are public are parks and hiking trails and i can sit down and nursing while the older one stands next to me and nurses. For me it's harder to be discreet when nursing two and i'm shy so while i'm an avid public nurser it's hard to tell that i'm doing it.
In a more narrow confine (a chair) nursing at the same time you can lay the baby on top of the toddler in opposite direction.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:24 PM

tandem bump
Old 06-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

I,too,find it kind of hard to tandem nurse in public. I do find it easier to use 2 slings to tandem nurse.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:37 PM

When I had my first two tandemers I was a brazen nurser. I have gotten much more aware, or shy or something over the years, and my tandemers are so much older now anyway. But I tend to prefer nursing them one at a time while out too. Sam(my 4.5 yr old) doesn't usually ask, unless he gets really hurt or something, and Violet(2.5) is too busy for nursing while out anymore. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 06-03-2007, 12:55 AM

I am new to this tribe. I am nursing my son (to be 3 in Sept) and my 9 month old daughter.
How much "parallel" nursing do you ladies do, and how much is "sequencial"? I find I mostly nurse them one at a time, with an average of 1-2 times a month when they nurse at once for a few minutes...

Chanda, it took about 2 months for my son to reach an equilibrium after my daughter was born and the milk came in.

Oana
Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM

:

Just noticed this tribe and can't remember if I've joined before

I have tandem nursing 2 year-old and 2-month-old daughters.

It's going great so far although I was SOOOOO worried and full of questions and doubts while I was pregnant...

Great seeing others here!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:16 PM

always nice to see more tandem mama's:

also regarding nursing in public...seems like (to me anyways) that the older nursling (toddler and beyond) isn't as interested in nursing when your out in public. there's always something else to see (not always the case, but mostly...at swim practice the other day for my older boys, my dd who is 3 needed to nurse and she usually doesn't...so she nursed while her little brother was occupied with my feet and the fence i was leaning against. it was a morning practice and she isn't much of a morning person).
seems like at home is when i get nursed out many times i take my kids somewhere just to give my nipples a break.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM

As far as NIP with 2 nurlings....I almost never nurse my 2.5 yo DD anywhere but at home. Exceptions are if she is upset or hurt and needs to comfort herself for a few SECONDS (I count to 10). I know she is older than 18 mos, but I just tell her that it is not time to nurse right now, but she CAN xyz (give othoer options eat/play/whatever) and she usually gets distracted/accepts it. I also almost never nurse them both at the same time as I find it overstimluating. I think that distraction can work really well with older nurslings, and nursing baby in a sling will probably help them not even to notice! GL...
Old 06-05-2007, 12:24 PM

I am willing to be the odd one out.

I rarely nurse(d) my two simultaneously. The few occasions that I did so we were very much in public. I think being in the crazy environments (The Children's Museum with all the excess stimuli and such) made us all need to settle down and reconnect. I wasn't very accomplished at knowing just what I wanted the nurslings to do so I would find a spot where I was comfortable sitting down for a while, position the littler one and then invite (or let) the older nursling find her spot.

Who knows how I'll handle it this next time around. The more older children I have to keep an eye on in public the harder it feels like everything is.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:47 PM

I don't think I have joined this yet!!

I am tandeming my 3.5month old and my almost 2.5 year old! We do sequention nursing most of the time, but I have nursed them at the same time about a dozen times but never in public. DS rarely asks when we are out and about any more.

Does your older nursling seem to nurse objects more now that you are tandeming? Ours does and he even has to "pump" for them before we leave the house
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM

My DD 2.5 is always "borrowing" my breast pads and pretending to nurse things or pump now that I'm nursing a baby. It's so cute!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh boy. im so glad i found this thread. im tandem nursing my 2 youngest (at the moment too) sammy will be 3 in august and nat is 2.5 weeks old now. they nurse together alot. if i nurse them one after he other it feels like i never have a free moment!

on the plus side. when nate is sleeping and i want to lay down. i can offer sam "nunnies" and all is quiet

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Hey girls, count me in! I'm not tandeming yet, but I'm about 6 or 7 weeks pregnant (will find out more definitely tomorrow) and am nursing my 11.5-month-old daughter. I can tell that my milk supply is already starting to diminish, and my daughter is getting frustrated. She fusses and bites and smacks my breast with her hand because she still wants milk but there's no more coming out.

I know that she's not anywhere near ready to wean, but I also know that she's easily frustrated. When something is too frustrating for her, she'll just give up -- she wants things to work perfectly, and she wants it to work right now, and if it doesn't, well then just forget it. I do'nt want her to wean out of frustration. Is there anything I can do to help her stick with it? I don't want to force her to nurse if she doesn't want to, but I also don't want her to give up on it just because she is impatient.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 AM

Thank you for the NIP suggestions! Thankfully I should have my mom and sister here for about a month after the babe's born so that should help a bit while I'm getting the hang of nursing two I guess I'll just have to wait and see what works for all of us to really know what I'll do in public...

Queenbean - when my milk supply started to diminish, my dd was about 11.5 months as well. I started giving her water (in a sippy cup for convenience...) and she was MUCH less frustrated. I think she was so thirsty before I figured out to give her water and she couldn't communicate it any other way than by getting frustrated at the lack of milk and trying to communicate very similarly to how your dd is.

And, all you can really do to keep your dd nursing through your pg is to keep offering. That's what I did and now I'm almost 37 weeks along and dd is still nursing strong! I've yet to hear of any other way... but as long as she's nursing enough to remember HOW to nurse then she will probably start back up when your colostrum comes back in. She's young enough to not remember what your milk tasted like before pg so it's doubtful that she would wean due to taste differences.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 06-08-2007, 02:29 AM

Hi all!!

I'm tandeming my 3 year old and one year old sons, it is good, sometimes a bit wearing, and my 3 year old has recently been telling me that he wants just as much booby as his brother, he has decided that it is just not fair for me to be freer with the breast to his little bro, than to him.

Preschooler logic is funny sometimes..he is a sweetheart, but his dad is having issues about how often he feeds, probably thinks it is not 'manly' for his 3 year old to be still nursing.

Ah well, nothing is going to stop me letting them wean themselves, so what will be will be.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya View Post
Thank you for the NIP suggestions! Thankfully I should have my mom and sister here for about a month after the babe's born so that should help a bit while I'm getting the hang of nursing two I guess I'll just have to wait and see what works for all of us to really know what I'll do in public...

Queenbean - when my milk supply started to diminish, my dd was about 11.5 months as well. I started giving her water (in a sippy cup for convenience...) and she was MUCH less frustrated. I think she was so thirsty before I figured out to give her water and she couldn't communicate it any other way than by getting frustrated at the lack of milk and trying to communicate very similarly to how your dd is.

And, all you can really do to keep your dd nursing through your pg is to keep offering. That's what I did and now I'm almost 37 weeks along and dd is still nursing strong! I've yet to hear of any other way... but as long as she's nursing enough to remember HOW to nurse then she will probably start back up when your colostrum comes back in. She's young enough to not remember what your milk tasted like before pg so it's doubtful that she would wean due to taste differences.

love and peace.
nak

thanks! me dd drinks water now... my main concern is that she's already so tiny, i dont want to tke her boob juice away. i've heard about kids losing weight when their moms lost their supply due to pregnancy, and she doesn't have any to lose. she's not scrawny, just all-over little.

thanks for the advice on keping her nursing. i'll just continue to offer, and hope for the best.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 AM

I'm a tandem mama. I'm Denice, and I tandem nurse Sam (2) and Abigail (8 months). We really tend to do sequential nursing, and I've only nursed both kids at once 3 or 4 times. Sam asks to nurse all the time now. I found that the more I let him nurse, and if I'd let him nurse for as long as he wants, he's much less apt to be possessive of my breasts when Abigail nurses.

We're actually doing really well with tandem nursing. I thought it would be much more difficult than it is.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 PM

tandem bump:

Hi to all the mama's new to this thread.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 AM

We've been tandeming over 4 months here now! DS pretty much nurses down for naps and bedtime but every so often he'll want to nurse at other times too. And of course DD is going to town, thunder thighs and all
Old 06-28-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
We've been tandeming over 4 months here now! DS pretty much nurses down for naps and bedtime but every so often he'll want to nurse at other times too. And of course DD is going to town, thunder thighs and all
have you nursed them together?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:42 AM

Just wanted to po in and say I have made it 8 MONTHS today tandem nursing my girls! I can't believe the tim ehas gone by so quickly...My 2yo only nurses a few times a day but there is no end in sight...
Old 07-04-2007, 04:53 AM

yay for all the tandem nursing mamas and babies It is exhausting at times but so worth it

We've made it three months and there are many days when I think my 2 yr old nurses more often than the baby. He drives me nuts sometimes but I am hoping he will slow down sometime soon. I almost never get to nurse only one at a time, they seem to both want it!

Oh and nursing both at night... I still haven't really mastered laying down and feeding both of them at the same time. I think in a few months when the baby is a little bigger it will be easier. I really do wish my two yr old would sleep thru the night, or at least not wake so often. He seriously nurses more at night than the 3 month old!!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:37 AM

Can I join too? I'm not currently tandam nursing and I'm not prego tey but we hope to have another babe next year and i'm really looking foward to tandam nursing! I only hope ds doesn't decide to go and self wean himself!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 PM

Katie, when I was tandeming in bed, I would put the new baby on lots of pillows, and the older babe on lots of pillows and lay on my back to nurse, or I would prop baby on pillows, and lay to that side, then toddler would kind of hang ofver my other side and dangle down to nurse. It sounds crazy, but it worked. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 PM

I've been tandeming for 13 mos. SOOOOOO glad I did it! I don't see an end in sight, however...

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 PM

I just found this thread & haven't read all 23! pages of posts, but count me in. I've never done anything but tandem nurse. My first babes are boy/girl twins--6 wks old today. gotta go-more later.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 PM

subbing...

2yo dd and a 4 week old dd. So far so good (despite a plugged duct hitting yesterday...ouch!)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-05-2007, 07:18 AM

mamamoo, thanks for the tip! My two year old does end up straddling me while I lay on my side nursing the baby about half of the time. He just falls off a lot when sleepy But propping him up on a bunch of pillows is a great idea... just need to go buy some more. Anyone else tandem nurse at night with a tiny bed? We really need a bigger one!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
yay for all the tandem nursing mamas and babies It is exhausting at times but so worth it

We've made it three months and there are many days when I think my 2 yr old nurses more often than the baby. He drives me nuts sometimes but I am hoping he will slow down sometime soon. I almost never get to nurse only one at a time, they seem to both want it!

Oh and nursing both at night... I still haven't really mastered laying down and feeding both of them at the same time. I think in a few months when the baby is a little bigger it will be easier. I really do wish my two yr old would sleep thru the night, or at least not wake so often. He seriously nurses more at night than the 3 month old!!

oh great!! i was wondering when my 2yo ds would chill out with the nursing.. looks like it could be a while.. my dd is only almost 3 weeks old and ds just cant seem to get enough.. although we did take steps to night wean him and he's been sleeping pretty good through the night so i guess i'll count my blessings.

User Tag List