Tandem Nursing Tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 462 Old 08-19-2006, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
My 18 month old is noticeably skinnier these days, too... I'm hoping he'll fatten up a little once the milky comes back. Seems like all he wants to eat now is banana and pancakes.
DS seemed like he was gaining weight at least as fast as his sister the first couple of months. Great health-wise for him, but MAN did it get hard to carry both kids around really quickly!
#62 of 462 Old 08-20-2006, 04:29 AM

Me

I've tandemed now twice, and for a short period of time, triandemed

I'm currently constantly nursing an almost two yr. old and an almost four yr. old. I'm so happy to have found y'all

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#63 of 462 Old 08-20-2006, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Peace.
#64 of 462 Old 08-20-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
My 18 month old is noticeably skinnier these days, too... I'm hoping he'll fatten up a little once the milky comes back. Seems like all he wants to eat now is banana and pancakes.

I do give cow's milk, though, as un-MDC as that is. He enjoys it, and it's one of the few sources of fat he'll regularly take.
This sounds like my son too. I'm 15 weeks pg now and he LOVES bananas and pancakes... and pb&j's too! Thank goodness for them! LOL He gets cows milk too, but we are a cow's milk drinking kind of family. It seems like even colostrum is a long way off for me... *sigh* But he still wants to nurse 4-6 times per day so that's cool for now!

If you get Adventures in Tandem Nursing, there are a lot of good pictures in there if you're having trouble visualizing how to nurse two at once...
#65 of 462 Old 08-20-2006, 07:21 PM

So my ds is officially night weaned. DH tried to help but ds wanted nothing to do with him. I slept out on the couch for one night and it was horrible listening to him cry for his "mamas". I ended up having to cuddle him for about 5 nights when he would wake up and then the last three nights he has been just sleeping right through. Yesterday ds even slept in until 7:45! That was a treat. I have noticed that he has been taking a better nap for me during the day too, which is really nice. Before I could only get him to sleep for a hour if I was lucky and so I would give him two naps. Now he is taking one 90 minute nap and then waking up for some nursies and then sleeping/cuddling with me for another 30 minutes. It has been really nice and I've been enjoying all the extra cuddle time with him.
#66 of 462 Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM

I'm a strong supporter of bfip with my babies, but I have to admit I don't bfip with my 2-year-old (let alone tandem) unless absolutely necessary. He just kind of grew out of asking somewhere around 18 mos - 2 yrs. Now he asks sometimes, but I just don't feel comfortable doing so. I just don't want to deal with the comments. Maybe I'll be more progressive when ds2 gets older.

There was a nurse-in in my town last year, and one of my friends got her picture in the paper tandem nursing her two girls. You can imagine the letters-to-the-editor that caused! She wrote a great response to a particularly nasty one. She's my heroine!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#67 of 462 Old 08-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Hi ladies...
I have an 8 mo baby... and I am about 6 weeks pg with the next one.... Lots of questions, of course.
I plan on continuing nursing with DS ... he's not on solids yet, so will he get enough? I read all this about milk drying up at 4 mos pg. Yikes!
#68 of 462 Old 08-21-2006, 11:51 AM

my 1st was 7 months when i became pregnant with #2. we had just introduced solids, but when i confirmed i was pregnant #1 went on a food strike and continued to exclusively bf for the next few months. i looked up tandeming as soon as i found out i was preg and the most important thing i read was to make sure i drank extra water. i did. and i did not have any problems with supply or nipple sensitivity. that was a perfect pregnancy to nurse through.
my other pregnancy did not go that well as far as supply and sensitivity. despite the amount of water i drank. in my 3rd preg, i had much morning sickness and my supply dwindled. but, the boys nursed throughout the pregnancy. one was already 3, and the other was turning 2, so i didn't worry about them getting nutrition. and the colustrum came in at the end of 2nd tri so they welcomed that! they even gained a little weigth. of course, nothing like when the milk comes in!
the 4th preg, and lost a majority of milk after 1st tri. that's when #3 started showing an interest in solids again. the older boys went from nursing 3x's a day to a lot less (especially duration) as they noticed there wasn't much and they weren't patient enough to work the flow. but, they were 4 and 5 so it was more of knowing they could have it if they wanted. #3 was already 1 1/2 when i got preg with #4, but she kept nursing throughout at any time. and i know she was getting some milk. she self nightweaned within a few months after her 2nd bday. the colustrum came in again at the end of the 2nd tri.

hopefully your pregnancy will be like my 2nd preg.

i wanted to add that in the 3rd preg, i did get dehyrated alot with the morning sickness which is what led to the supply drop and nipple sensitivity. but, in this last pregnancy, i did keep very well hydrated, but the nipple sensitivity was actually the worst of all pregnancy (still not as bad as what other's go through), but nursing my youngest nursling the sensitivity was at a minimum and usually could be solved by drinking a glass of water. i don't know if the older ones i had some natural psychological instinct to turn them away to protect the fetus while it didn't bother me as much with a younger nursling. i'm getting too deep now, and tandem naking is getting in the way of typing so i'm ending this.
water is definitely the key!
#69 of 462 Old 08-24-2006, 07:26 AM

I'm subbing here

I'm tandeming with dd#4 (4 next mth) and dd#5 (11mths). Actually dd#4 was totally weaned until a couple of mths ago and now she wants to nurse a LOT! : Not sure how I feel about it really

Anyways, I'm here and glad to see this tribe. :
#70 of 462 Old 08-25-2006, 12:01 AM

Hello all,

Well, this is getting really depressing. The past two days, DS has only nursed twice. He seems to be dropping his morning nursing session, I'm sure it's because I don't have milk anymore and he's just hungry and wants to get on with his day. : It just makes me so sad!! I was SO hoping I'd nurse two, I know he'd still be going if I wasn't pregnant and had milk. :

The nice thing was that he nursed himself straight to sleep tonight, when he was finally asleep, that's when he slipped off. Even if we can keep the nap/night sessions, hopefully he doesn't forget how and will get a nice surprise in February when I get milk again...
#71 of 462 Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 AM

i tandem in public

im glad to know that having the oldest outnurse the little one is normal...
mt almost 3 year old is just constantly chasing me signing 'milk' and saying 'boobyboobyboobybooby'

hello everyone

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#72 of 462 Old 08-26-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Sometimes I try to imagine how I'm going to nurse my newborn and my toddler at once. The logistics of where all these waving arms and legs are going to go boggles my mind. We shall see.
I had problems envisioning this one too. The two positions that worked best for us in the early days were DD (3) laying next to me and DS (newborn) laying on top of her side or back (a very common one for nights) or in a oversized rocker recliner (seriously huge, my feet don't touch the floor when I sit in it, so I sit cross-legged comfotably in it)) with him tucked into the space between her belly and mine. Now there are a lot more positions that will work because DS doesn't need as much help getting latched on. the most common at nights now is me flat on my back with a child in the crook of each arm, but that rocking chair is still more comfortable and I often will put DS in the "football hold" position - especially with the hot weather fewer sweaty bodies all in one pile is better sometimes
I generally avoid tandem nursing in public if at all possible though. I'll NIP either child alone with no problems, but the amount of my chst exposed to nurse 2 at onces makes me uncomfortable, my shirt seriously is usually around my neck, and only 2 of the handful of nursing tops I own are tandem friendly, : annoying since I bought thm with tandeming in mind, but not thinking enough about how it would actually work. Oh well, live and learn I guess

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#73 of 462 Old 08-27-2006, 01:41 AM

Peace.
#74 of 462 Old 08-27-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Baby was born on Thursday evening, and the milky came in this morning. Yowch!
Congratulation!! By the way if your DS is nursing a lot (my dd sure did at first) and then suddenly stops nursing for a while (ex. leaves the house with dad, a friend or relative for a few hours) you may suddenly be dealing with engorgement. No one mentioned it to me, and it took me a while to figgure out, so I thought I'd bring it up. I started always keeping a raw cabage in the house to deal with it.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#75 of 462 Old 08-29-2006, 01:03 PM

I am excited to say that as of tomorrow, I will be officially tandem extended nursing (as in tandem nursing for a year)! My little sweet Michelle turns one tomorrow, and she and her 3.5 year old brother are still going strong. It is getting easier as she and he get older, and has been so worth it!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#76 of 462 Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM

jillmamma congrats on tandemning so long that is awesome!!!
eightyferrettoes congrats on the new baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#77 of 462 Old 08-29-2006, 06:33 PM

Peace.
#78 of 462 Old 08-29-2006, 07:08 PM

congratulations eightyferrettoes on the birth of your babygirl! And welcome to the world of tandeming
it's amazing how a toddler can suddenly look like he/she head grew 3 times it's size it just a short space of time. and it's really noticeable when you nurse the two together. Big head syndrome!

Jillmamma, happy one year to your dd, and congratulations on tandeming for a year

Timneh_mom, start looking for your colustrum to come in around the 6th or 7th month. that will help tide your little one over til the milk comes in after the baby is born. you'll notice it in your ds's stools...they'll be runny and yellowish green (the runny stools won't last too long). And off topic...the shores of Lake Superior in Luce County is one of my favorite places on Earth!
#79 of 462 Old 08-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Hello all, I am another tandeming mama as of 3 weeks ago! I have found it more difficult than I thought it would be to nurse both at once. I find that sometimes I still have the feeling that I want to push my older one away, the same skin-crawling feeling as during pregnancy. But it's not all the time, and mostly just when I'm nursing both at once and she's hanging off the side or slurping. But sometimes I just sit there and sigh and kiss their heads and love what I'm doing. I guess it's all just a roller coaster, isn't it

My older dd still nurses to sleep so naps and bedtimes have been fun
But I think we're gonna survive!

Oh, and her face seems just huge!

Living it up with DH, DD 6, DD 4, DS 1 and
:
#80 of 462 Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 PM

Congrats on the new babies!

I thought we were doing pretty well with the whole tandem nursing, but lately I am hating it. Ds1 has started waking up at night (well, early morning anyway) crawling into bed with us and wanting to nurse. I spend the last 2-3 hours of the morning rolling over between both boys. I am SOOO tired. And I can't seem to get to bed early, either. I get the baby to sleep, but he invariably wakes up within 20 minutes after I get up, which is usually while I'm putting ds1 down. Dh takes the baby, who will not fall back to sleep for dh. Baby either cries or plays happily with dh. Ds1 finally goes to sleep and I lay down with baby, who after a short nursing session decides he's done and just wants to play, but does not want to go back to sleep. I just wish ONE of them would be able to go to sleep without nursing. Ds2 did for awhile, but would always wake up when dh tried to put him down. Now, he won't even fall asleep for dh. And there are times when dh has tried for a LONG time, while I was trying to get ds1 to sleep. (Ds1 used to fall asleep pretty easily, but lately it's hit or miss how long it takes him.) What's more, ds1 has NOT been going down for a nap in the afternoon, and I really miss the downtime. I am one grouchy mama lately.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#81 of 462 Old 08-30-2006, 04:43 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to the MDC boards so please excuse any missteps. I was hoping to join you all! I've been tandeming for 15 months now, so "officially" in the extended tandem realm. My two are 12 months apart (26 mths and 15 mths), the Adventures in Tandem Nursing book did almost nothing for me in the way of support, unfortunately. I do think it's probably very useful for moms with children 2 or more years apart, though. I love having my two Gemini's so close in age, although I have no idea how to explain how I was fertile at 10 weeks postpartum while demand-nursing and cosleeping! My fertility STILL hasn't returned 15 months after my second birth. Mystery.

Anyway, I briefly read through and saw that there are some women dealing with nursing a pre-solids baby while pregnant, and I can certainly understand what you're going through. My first lost weight in her 5-6 month because of my dwindling supply and we ended up supplementing her with donated breastmilk from dear trusted friends. It was heartbreaking for me. I went on to donate my "overage" milk while early tandem nursing to another family in need for 6 months as a result of this awesome gift. Needless to say, it all worked out and my oldest is a highly committed nurser these days. In fact, I think her little brother may self-wean before her! Anyone else get that feeling? I wonder if it's because of the milk supply dropping off for those months of my pregnancy which may have caused her to have a higher level of attachment to nursing. Certainly my youngest has never had to wonder if there will be enough milk!

With respect to you all,
Keleigh
#82 of 462 Old 08-30-2006, 05:30 PM

i'll join! we're tandem nursing here.. DD1 is 22 months and DD2 is 2 months!! I have never read "The Adventures of Tandem Nursing" I have a cousin (who im pretty close with) who is tandem nursing (4 yo and 22month old) and she has just taught me a lot. LOL Without her I know I wouldn't be where I am today and I'm so thankful for her But anyways.. I'll post more later! I'm excited that I've found this tribe!
#83 of 462 Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 PM

Hey Tandem Nursing Mamas! I am delighted to discover this thread! I look forward to reading through the whole thing.

I am tandem nursing my 11 mo DD and 34 mo DS. The unexpected thing I am experiencing is that my older child nurses more than my baby! He still; NIP all the time (which I had thought would be pretty much over by now) and seems to nurse for comfort, whereas DD seems more businesslike and nursing more solely for nutrition. I think some children are just more attached to nursing than others.

Fortunately my almost 3yo is now to the point where he nurses before he sleeps, but he is not needing to nurse to fall sleep, which has been easier on me. In the past I had some marathon nursing sessions trying to get him to sleep. Also he is now night-weaned (we did a modified version of the Jay Gordon "changing the sleep pattern in the family bed" routine this summer), which has also helped me feel a lot less tapped out.
#84 of 462 Old 08-30-2006, 11:07 PM

It's so much fun tandem nursing!! Some days it seems like all I do When dd#5 was 6 mths I had to wean her for 5 days, and also weaned dd#4. Slowly but surely they have increased my supply again. Actually dd#4 stopped nursing for about 3 mths and now at almost 4yo (in 5 more sleeps ) would nurse more than dd#5 (11mths). I have set some limits on dd#4 which she is mostly happy about! She would like to nurse at night too, but I can only handle one night nurser!

I love watching them playing with each other. dd#5 often tries to steal dd#4's boob! She lunges at the other breast with her mouth wide open dd#4 thinks it's very funny too!

Just wanted to share.
#85 of 462 Old 08-31-2006, 01:35 PM

to all
Honeybee s
I wanted to add that I only night nurse my younger babe. I was so tired after a month of my older one waking up with the new babe twice. I night weaned him. My ds was nightweaned but started up again when the milkies returned. I will say that I do nurse him to sleep an in the morning but I gently cut out the in between nursings. I can usually sleep while dd is nursing so I get more sleep now. At first I was a wreck. I have slight narcolepsy an when that started to kick in I HAD to get more sleep. Everything has evened out an resolved itself now.
#86 of 462 Old 09-01-2006, 01:24 AM

I'll join too!! I have been tandum nursing for almost 2 years.
#87 of 462 Old 09-01-2006, 10:17 AM

the beauty of nursing 2 during night is that it makes nursing 1 seem so easy! :
#88 of 462 Old 09-01-2006, 01:27 PM

welcome Gina! I was hoping you would find this thread!!!!
#89 of 462 Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damyen's mommy
to all
Honeybee s
I wanted to add that I only night nurse my younger babe. I was so tired after a month of my older one waking up with the new babe twice. I night weaned him. My ds was nightweaned but started up again when the milkies returned. I will say that I do nurse him to sleep an in the morning but I gently cut out the in between nursings. I can usually sleep while dd is nursing so I get more sleep now. At first I was a wreck. I have slight narcolepsy an when that started to kick in I HAD to get more sleep. Everything has evened out an resolved itself now.
Thanks! I've thought about night weaning, but ds1 was sleeping through the night on his own consistently for several months. I'm hoping this is just a phase, and he'll go back to sleeping soon.

#90 of 462 Old 09-01-2006, 11:04 PM

Subbing. I tandem nurse my three youngest (though the 6 yr old is nearly weaned). Nursed through three pregnancies, tandem through two of those.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page