Tandem Nursing Tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 462 Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mamas, please remember that criticizing other forums or threads is a .

Quote:
You are expected to avoid the following when you post:
Posting to discuss the statements or behavior of a member or members on the board, or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Such issues should be directed to the moderator or administrator privately and not made a subject of discussion in a thread.
http://www.mothering.com/mdc/mdc_useragreement.html

Thanks, and have a great day!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 462 Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Noted Annette.
#183 of 462 Old 11-02-2006, 10:55 PM

I am tandem nursing my 6 month old and my 2.5 year old.

When I first became pregnant, I was nursing my then 1 year old and three year old.

It is great to know there are others out there, since I rarely see anyone breastfeeding a toddler, let alone tandem nursing!
#184 of 462 Old 11-03-2006, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobsmom View Post
I am tandem nursing my 6 month old and my 2.5 year old.

When I first became pregnant, I was nursing my then 1 year old and three year old.

It is great to know there are others out there, since I rarely see anyone breastfeeding a toddler, let alone tandem nursing!
Howdy and welcome!
#185 of 462 Old 11-03-2006, 05:00 AM

I haven't read all of the posts yet but I am now tandeming my 30 month old and my 5 day old...
We have been having some serious issues, especially at bedtime, lots of tears, and acting out from my older nursling.

I am really struggling with it and am trying to be understanding of my girly who has had all of these changes happen in the past week but it is driving me to exhaustion.

Just wanted to intro myself, will check back in later.

Subbing:

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#186 of 462 Old 11-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Welcome, Michelle! Love your name by the way (my DD is Michelle!)

Those first few days are tough, but it DOES get easier! I am Jill, and nursing my almost 4 year old and my 14 month old. The older one does not get jealous of my time/attention so much anymore, but now the BABY is the one getting upset if I have her brother on my lap or next to me w/o her there too!

To answer the same questions kirstie did:
so what's the weather like where you are nursing today? chilly for us (highs in the 60's!), nice and different from 84 on Halloween
what's your favorite place to nurse? sofa or bed
are you nursing your nurslings together? yes, usually before bed and sometimes first thing in the morning

My poor baby girl is getting up at night now due to getting those molars. She has half of her top right one, and the others are just below the surface. To top it off, DS threw up all over my lap last night, and you can tell I am having an interesting time now! : I am VERY glad to still be nursing him, as he was not hungry last night or this morning, but was able to nurse and keep it down! So I know at least he is getting something good in him, and I am helping him fight it off.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#187 of 462 Old 11-03-2006, 12:40 PM

I am new to tandem nursing, I think I'm doing pretty well with it so far. I'm nursing a 3 week old and a 15 month old. My 15 month old was so thrilled when my milk came in, I had been telling her to be patient and she was going to get lots of yummy milkies when the baby came. She now wants to nurse every 2-3 hours or so, it's like she can't get enough of it. I have tandemed them together, usually 2 X a day. Tandem nursing has also made the transition so much easier for my 15 month old to adapt to being an older sister now--no jealousy issues. I also love how I'm never engorged like in the past.
#188 of 462 Old 11-03-2006, 12:56 PM

Hi there.
I am nursing my 6 week old and 21mo old. I think thing are finally starting to settle down. My ODD was doing the same as Michelles at bed time. It was really tough and tiring but things are getting better. She was having screaming fits until 2am but last night she was down by 9:45.
Dont know what the weather is like yet but it looks cold!!
Fav place to nurse is the couch, then I can get on the lap top.
I am almost always nursing both at the same time. There is no putting ODD off, she would have a huge fit.

Question for you....
Have you tademed in public???

I have twice now. I find it hard b/c everything gets exposed. I try to keep YDD in my Kozy nursing and then ODD doesnt ask but she has and I try to get her wait till we get to the car.

Wife to Joe since 2004
Mom to Madison 2005, Morgan 2006, Joseph (Cooper) 2009 and Jackson 2011
#189 of 462 Old 11-04-2006, 03:56 PM

Hi everyone!!! Just giving this a bump. hope everyone is doing well..
#190 of 462 Old 11-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heamae View Post
Question for you....

I have twice now. I find it hard b/c everything gets exposed. I try to keep YDD in my Kozy nursing and then ODD doesnt ask but she has and I try to get her wait till we get to the car.
I never have, but my kids are further apart in age, so DS was already to the point where he rarely asked in public anyway...too busy. I have not nursed him in public since he was about two (he is now almost four).

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#191 of 462 Old 11-04-2006, 10:16 PM

We spent the WHOLE day out shopping and she never asked to nurse!!

Wife to Joe since 2004
#192 of 462 Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 PM

i rarely tandem in public, usually it's at someone's house, in the car, in the woods, places where it's private and comfortable. i remember nursing my 2nd ds and dd sitting in a chair on my porch talking to my neighbor (i'd only let cool neighbors in on that view ). she had never seen tandem nursing before, but she was impressed. especially since i laid one on top of the other and they criss crossed each other while i sat in a patio chair. at least at my MIL's she's got several coaches, porch swings, and benches to choose from. and then there was the time dh's friend and our neighbor walked in on me nursing my two boys (this was about 2 yrs ago), we were on the coach. he was soooo embarrassed. i felt so bad for him. he never walked in again without knocking first.

however, i will take turns nursing them in public. 'cept the oldest nurslings haven't had to nurse in public for a very long time. my oldest was climbing a tree a few weeks ago at a soccer game. it was his quarter out and he was climbing and slid, and ripped the top of his butt cheek on a sawed off tree branch. i thought i'd be nursing him then but he was content to sit in my lap and let me hug him tight.
#193 of 462 Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 PM

I have not had the oppurtunity to tandem in public yet but I think that my dd will want to....she seems to want whatever the baby has in terms of nummies.

I think things are already getting better, Last night was a little better after a big fit, older dd went down pretty quickly and slept all night, first time since new baby born...

I'll have to keep checking in here though...
Thanks for the support

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#194 of 462 Old 11-04-2006, 10:38 PM

i wouldn't really call it public but i have tandem nursed before... at LLL- friends and relatives houses and at the mall but in a nursing room so no one could see.. heh.. oh and neighbors have seen in the backyard and etc...
#195 of 462 Old 11-05-2006, 02:34 AM

My second baby is still inside but I have not nursed DS in public while pregnant, at least not while obviously pregnant. Our local LLL group had a yard sale as a fundraiser, and a friend's little one needed some comfort after falling down. DS saw that and decided he needed some nursies too. So we sat in the front lawn and nursed. But since then, my milk has gone to practially nothing and now colostrum, and he rarely asks for it other than at naps and bedtime, and sometimes in the morning. If he does, it's 2-3 sucks and he's off running! I can't imagine he will want to nurse outside of his regular times now until I have milk again. So I'll have to come back to this question
#196 of 462 Old 11-05-2006, 06:16 AM

Just jumping in to say Hello. I nursed through pregnancy and am currently tandem nursing my 3 1/2 year old ds and my 11 month dd.

Ds has recently started nursing more, not sure what's up, but he's definately not ready to wean!

Allison
#197 of 462 Old 11-06-2006, 01:59 PM

I nursed both again at a resturant, at the table with dhs family. mil is ver supportive. dh tries to discourage nip ODD but last night she wanted to run all over the place so I finally told him if she is nursing she is sitting still. I used a blanket but I think I still made bil a bit uncomfy. Oh well.
Next obsticale is going to be Thanksgiving. Sil is having a baby next mon. and plans to bf but I have a feeling she will go to another room. Since its at her house I am afraid she will ask the same for me to do, which I dont find fair b/c I will end up spending the entire day in the other room. I got to talk to dh about it but I think if I am asked to leave the room I may end up just going home.

Wife to Joe since 2004
#198 of 462 Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 PM

Hi all,

I am tandem nursing DD 3, and DS 5 weeks.

DD had weaned herself when I was 7 month pregnant. I had a feeling she would start again once the baby came. (she turned 3 in august) About 2 weeks ago she asked if she could nurse and I welcomed her. She is nursing more and more as time passes. Its been a bit odd nursing a big kid after not for the past 5 months, it's taken her a bit to get used to latching again...sometimes I let out an *ouch!!!*:
But she's been having a really hard time since her brother was born. She loves him soooo much, she isn't reacting AT him thankfully. She is VERY emotional, getting frustrated so easily, yelling, tantruming, randomling throwing things/hitting. Poor DH seems to carry the brunt of it~ she was a big time dadda's girl before baby came. Nursing her has been wonderful for this. It's giving her a chance to connect with me, relax, realize that she's not being ousted. She's been wanting to sleep beside me again, just generally needing to connect with me as much as she can. Right now she's nursing 3-4 times a day. Sometimes with Noah, other times by herself. I'm so thankful that she has bonded with him so well!!

She sleeps through the night so we're nursing just in the day, mostly in the evening when she's sleepy. I'm glad for that!!
#199 of 462 Old 11-06-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie View Post
so what's the weather like where you are nursing today? what's your favorite place to nurse? are you nursing your nurslings together?
beautiful as always here in n. california. sunny, breezy & about 70 degrees! I love to nurse laying down in bed with a blanket and a good book. They only nurse together at bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomweaver View Post
I am now tandeming my 30 month old and my 5 day old... We have been having some serious issues, especially at bedtime, lots of tears, and acting out from my older nursling.
we really settled into groove around 5 weeks and from then on it has mostly gotten easier. hang in there mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imma2six View Post
I am new to tandem nursing, I think I'm doing pretty well with it so far. I'm nursing a 3 week old and a 15 month old.
welcome!

Quote:
I am nursing my 6 week old and 21mo old. Question for you....
nope. my dd never asks to nurse when out and about (she's almost 3)...er, except for at LLL meetings of course.

to the other mamas i missed. squiggly baby on my lap...
#200 of 462 Old 11-06-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Hi there.

Question for you....

No, I really don't tandem nurse in public. At least not just anywhere in public. I might tandem nurse in a place where other people might happen along, but not necessarily in a place where people are, iykwim. Like if I was at a quiet park, I might tandem nurse. If I was at the mall, I wouldn't. Ds is 3 1/2 and people are just too weirded out by that. I don't want to get reported to cps or something stupid like that. If I had twins or a 2 yr old and a newborn, I'd be more likely. I find that wearing nursing clothing makes me feel much more comfy tandem nursing, even when I'm at home. I'm not particularly modest about breastfeeding since I feel it is not shameful or obscene and therefore it doesn't require hiding or covering up. But all the same, I really hated the feeling of being totally exposed. I really, really like wearing nursing clothes and not having my belly hanging out. Even if I'm home alone, I like this better. Maybe if four babies hadn't taken their toll on my once trim midriff, it wouldn't matter so much. But well, that's life.
#201 of 462 Old 11-07-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama View Post
No, I really don't tandem nurse in public. At least not just anywhere in public. I might tandem nurse in a place where other people might happen along, but not necessarily in a place where people are, iykwim. Like if I was at a quiet park, I might tandem nurse. If I was at the mall, I wouldn't. Ds is 3 1/2 and people are just too weirded out by that. I don't want to get reported to cps or something stupid like that. If I had twins or a 2 yr old and a newborn, I'd be more likely. I find that wearing nursing clothing makes me feel much more comfy tandem nursing, even when I'm at home. I'm not particularly modest about breastfeeding since I feel it is not shameful or obscene and therefore it doesn't require hiding or covering up. But all the same, I really hated the feeling of being totally exposed. I really, really like wearing nursing clothes and not having my belly hanging out. Even if I'm home alone, I like this better. Maybe if four babies hadn't taken their toll on my once trim midriff, it wouldn't matter so much. But well, that's life.

breastfeeding clothes!!!: I've been breastfeeding for nearly 8 years and seriously never even thought of that!! I find wearing a tank with a built in bra is great 'cause I can keep the tank down and lift my shirt up....keeps my tummy warm in this cold weather too!!! ( I'm rather small chested so I don't need much support) I would LOVE a nursing top...what a good idea!! okay so now I need ideas. Who has a favorite nursing wear brand??
#202 of 462 Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 PM

I love my nursing tops. Keeps my belly covered which is more important than keeping my little boobies covered!

My FAVORITE brand is BOOB. Swedish. Not cheap but brilliant design. Worth it!
#203 of 462 Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 PM

Link??

Wife to Joe since 2004
#204 of 462 Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Link??
I looked it up; cool clothes! BOOB
#205 of 462 Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

During my last pregnancy I gained about 40 pounds. I'm already (at 4 months) back to what I consider a safe breastfeeding weight (about 5 above my "normal" weight) and still losing, though quite slowly. I am thinner than I was a year after having my first baby. I don't want to lose too much weight...

Anyone else experience this while nursing two (or more)? Am I likely to plateau here soon? What have been your experiences?

#206 of 462 Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Snarky View Post
During my last pregnancy I gained about 40 pounds. I'm already (at 4 months) back to what I consider a safe breastfeeding weight (about 5 above my "normal" weight) and still losing, though quite slowly. I am thinner than I was a year after having my first baby. I don't want to lose too much weight...

Anyone else experience this while nursing two (or more)? Am I likely to plateau here soon? What have been your experiences?

With my first pg, I had basically just gotten back to my pre-pg weight when DS was about 1 year and I got pg with DD. In the two years I have been tandeming, I have lost my pg weight, plus nearly 40 pounds more. I was overweight to begin with, so I am still above my "ideal" weight for my height. The weight loss was starting to slow down over the summer. Now that I'm pg again and my appetite is wonky, I'm not sure what is going to happen...

Jen
#207 of 462 Old 11-10-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

#208 of 462 Old 11-10-2006, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In theory I am a tandem mama. DD1 is almost 4 and not nursing much anymore, once every few days but she isn't ready to be done yet. DD2 is 2 weeks old.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#209 of 462 Old 11-10-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB8301 View Post
In theory I am a tandem mama. DD1 is almost 4 and not nursing much anymore, once every few days but she isn't ready to be done yet. DD2 is 2 weeks old.

Sounds to me like you are a tandem mama in reality! Welcome!
#210 of 462 Old 11-11-2006, 11:48 AM

i've lost all my pregnancy's weight fairly quickly. i have a stable level despite all my nurslings which is still a little lighter then prefamily weight. my problem is when i get that annual illness and lose a few pounds, my supply is temporarily affected (and the weight is mostly chest area which i actually love because i don't feel so much like breasts with legs). it's weird because it seems that the nurslings that are dependent on the bm i can nurse without a problem, but if i'm sick then it's really hard to nurse the older nurslings (anyone over 2). but, they are usually understanding and know mommy is sick, they'll take a little less (it's like being pregnant, the dependent nurslings aren't a problem, it's the ones that nurse but can sustain themselves otherways that it hurts physically).

it really sucks when my nurslings are sick with me.

but, i always bounce back! and gradually gain the weight back to my normal level.

p.s. i often wonder how much weight is tied up in my mam's or at least what precentage of my body is breast!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page