Help, low weight gain in nursing 6 1/2 month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is fully bf. She is now 6 1/2 months old. She weighed 9 lbs 5 oz when she was born, yesterday at her latest check up she was 16 lbs 8 oz. THis worries me because at her weigh-in 7 weeks ago she was 15 lbs 15 oz! I used to be not worried because she is happy and developing great, and I felt nature knows best but 9 oz in 7 weeks is not a lot to gain!

I think I'm gonna bring out the brown rice and start solids soon although I prefer to only bf her a little longer (she just started sitting up by herself). Is it normal for bf babies to gain slowly or does she need solids immediately? She went from being in the 95 percentile to low 50 percentile!

Thanks for any advice!

Christa - trying to give her baby the best she can
#2 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 12:25 PM

Christa,

If it makes you feel better, my dd is a slow gainer, too. Born at 7 lbs, 2 oz, and now at 9 months is about 16 1/2 lbs!

I tried to feed her solids, but she's just not interested. Some days she'll have a bit, some days she won't.

The doc didn't say her weight gain was bad, and she seems perfectly happy and healthy. She has grown taller though, and is very active now that she is crawling. But she also has nice, plump, chipmunk cheeks, so I figure she is just lean like her daddy.

Hope that helps,
Loon

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#3 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 06:42 PM

It is perfectly normal for bf babies to gain less as they reach 6 mos and older. The charts docs use are based on FF babies and don't accurately reflect natural weight gain patterns. One of my twins gained only 11oz from 6 to 8.5 months and the other one gained 1.5 lbs. As long as the baby is active, alert, has 6-8 wet diapers and otherwise seems fine they ARE fine. Don't let the change in percentile worry you. If something is really wrong your mother's intuition will tell you .
#4 of 8 Old 03-26-2003, 01:02 AM

Ok, here is my dd's weight gain- she was not much interested in solids at all until 9 mths, and even then she barely ate.
Born 6,14
4 mths: 13, 6
6 mths: 14, 13
9 mths: 17
12 mths: 18, 3
15 mths: 19, 9
18 mths: 19, 9
2 yrs: 21, 13

Probably more info than you needed!
I just wanted to show you that plateaus are normal! My dd went from the 50th percentile at 4 mths, to the 25th at 6 mths, to the 10th at 12 mths, then barely on the chart at 2 years!
If I were you I would go ahead and offer some solids several times a day for maybe 2 weeks and see if she takes to it, if she is ready she will EAT!!! If not, she will likely play a little with it but never really get interested in eating.
If she is devloping normal and all that, don't worry at all!
Sara
#5 of 8 Old 03-26-2003, 10:41 AM

Not to make a big deal, but when first starting solids, do not offer several times a day. Once a day, only 1/4 tsp to start.

Weight gain stats (from Breastfeeding Answer Book):

In a bfed baby:

3-4 mos: 4-8/wk

4-6 mos: 3-6 oz/wk

6-12 mos: 1 1/2-3 oz/wk

You can see, weight gain quite normally and safely slows quite a bit!
#6 of 8 Old 04-01-2003, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes me feel a little bit better!
#7 of 8 Old 04-02-2003, 12:08 AM

BF fed babies definitely can slow down their weight gain at 4 months. Did your DD get weighed on the same scale in the same room, naked both times? My DS has been 1 pound different on different scales so when you're talking about a few ounces less than "normal" weight gain, a small difference could be significant. I would also consider length gain and head circumference gain before really worrying. This site is reassuring about BFing exclusively for more than 6 months: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
We started solids at 9 months.
#8 of 8 Old 04-03-2003, 02:20 AM

Came here to check out what other moms have to say about the subject.
DD supposedly lost half pound in the past month but is still up from the 9 month visit. Down from the 50% to the 10%. Length and head still good though
Doctor didn't seem alarmed. Asked about eating habits and number of diapers per day.
So, I wonder, if it is normal for this to happen, why even bother with the weighing and charting?
I was TOTALLY FREAKING (shaking inside and kinda sick to my stomach) in the few minutes between the weigh in and the doctor coming in. Not that I thought anything was wrong, but that I was worried I was going to be told to stop BFing. I didn't want to feel defensive, etc.

those silly charts just undermine us moms.

ANd ya know what...even though there are special ones for BFed babies, I bet they are still paid for by formula companies in attempt to plant a seed of doubt...IMO

Kirsten

mom to darling Anna...1 yo today!
Gabimom likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page