EBM through airport security - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2003, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, all. We don't EBF (DD is only 5 months), but I thought you ladies would probably be in the know.

We're going out of town for a short time (3 days) and plan to leave DD with IL's after she goes to sleep for a couple of hours out. Instead of bringing my pump and pumping when I get there, I thought I'd bring a couple of frozen bags with us.

I have a very well insulated bag I can put it in with a couple of ice packs and will probably stay mostly frozen the whole time. We're just flying from Denver to Omaha. Short flight.

My question is, should I bring it carry-on and deal with security? Or can I pack it in my checked luggage? Would there be any problems with pressurization, etc.? What are issues regarding x-ray on FROZEN ebm?

Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2003, 09:14 PM

Breastmilk will keep at room temp 8-10 hours.

Frozen I guess would be good insurance. I might pack in bottles, leaving room at the top for air pressure (I like Avent bottles) and place them in ziplocks. You can freeze right in the Avent bottles. If you have room in your carryon, that might be a good idea or else risk airport baggage handling.

For a couple of hours though - maybe you could do without bottles? She may cry but she may cry with bottle anyway. And if she's sleeping. . .Maybe a pacifier may be substituted? If it's just a couple of hours. . .I'm sure she won't starve.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:18 PM

Hi

I'd call the airline you're flying with to check to find out how easy it would be to take frozen EBM through security. I'm not sure how it would go over with the security folks so it would be best to check it out. The airline might not be able to tell you but maybe they can tell you who to contact.

Let us know what you find out or how it works for you. This is not something I've ever tried (have boobies, will travel ) and I would be curious to know what happens.

All the best,
Sally
Old 03-26-2003, 10:42 PM

Old 03-28-2003, 04:18 AM

I recently travelled with fresh ebm I'd pumped while away from dd for a business trip. I used a soft cooler with lots of ice. I had a note from the doctor indicating I was a lactating mom (which you probably won't need if you have the babe with you) and the security folks were happy to meet my request NOT to xray the milk when I showed them the note. I have also travelled by car for 8 hours with frozen milk and it stayed that way in the cooler...

Good luck!

Kim, momma to Tayte, 14 1/2mo

User Tag List