Were YOU breastfed? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2006, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm the oldest in my family and I breastfed until 9 months then stopped on my own, preferred the bottle. At that time my mom was 6 months preggo too. My mom nursed all 7 of us girls. The youngest two nursed until they were 3 and almost 4.
DH didn't get to nurse. One of his brother's breastfed for 3 weeks, and the others didn't at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 01:35 AM

I was born in 1972 and was bf until I went on a nursing strike at 9 months. She realized later through LLL it was a strike but it was too late. I was fed rice cereal pretty early. My brother was born in 73 was bf for about 16 months.

When my mom was trying to figure out bf -- there was nobody to ask. Both her grandmothers had passed away, and nobody she knew did it. Thankfully sshe had LLL.

Funny thing - we just learned that the lady who lives right behind my parents breast fed her 3 kids - all older than me. They are great friends of my parents but neither Nancy nor my mom knew the other bf. She would have been a great resource for my mom...her youngest is 2 years older than me.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, till the 'ripe' age of 5 years or so. My mom had seven children - me being the third. We had a joint family where shared nursing was not a taboo. I remember I was sometimes bf by my aunt (paternal) and my eldest cousin sister-in-law too.
Uzra
Old 08-18-2006, 09:23 AM

I was BFed for 12 weeks (1980), when my Mum was told that I was too big and there wasn't enough milk. She started supplementing at about 6 weeks though because the doctors told her that I wasn't sleeping through the night because her milk wasn't good enough. My sister (1984) was BFed for 4 weeks until Mum developed mastitis and was told by an ED dr that she was dirty and thats what caused the mastitis and she had to stop BFing my sister IMMEDIATELY so she wouldn't get sick. By the time she got to our regular doctor it was too hard for her to start BFing again (she did try though).

THanks goodness I have finally taught her to question Drs
Old 08-18-2006, 01:27 PM

I was born in 71 and was ff. At the time my mom didn't know anyone who had bf and since she was still working, it was formula for me.

My brother was born in 79 and was bf for 1 year. By this time, my mom was a sahm and decided to give bf a try. My mother was given horrible advice then when it came to bf my brother. Her ob and the ped had her believing that he could only be fed every 4 hours and should be weaned when he turned 1. I remember both of them being so miserable. My mom went through a lot of guilt over the feeding of my brother because she knew that he was hungry but believed the doctors that she would be harming her baby if she fed him off schedule. It still bothers her to this day that she listened to them.

My other brother was born in 86 and my mom decided to ignore the advice of the doctors, stop watching the clock and bf on demand. She bf him until he self weaned at 2 1/2.

When I started having kids, it was my mom who helped me come to the decision to bf. She was a great support for me. All 3 of my kids fed on demand and self weaned.

User Tag List