Were YOU breastfed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm guessing that most of us were born around or after breastfeeding began to come back into vogue. I'm curious to know how many of us were breastfed ourselves.

I was born in Toronto in 1974. I was breastfed for 9 months. My mother says she nursed me due to 'pressure' from her LLL friends. She weaned me because she was getting recurrent mastitis and didn't think that I should get the antibiotics through her milk : . She did not breastfeed my brother or sister for more than a few days. With her I think it was mostly a personality thing but LLL definitely had its affect on her since she did breastfeed me past the 6 month mark!
#2 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM

Only for a little bit. I don't remember why she quit with me or my siblings. I do know that she quit nursing my brother because the Dr told her he was getting too fat. He also told her to put him on a feeding schedule because he was nursing every 2 hours :
#3 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:30 AM

I was born in 83, and my mom nursed me to two weeks mostly because my father pressured her into it. She had no hellp, and her mother would leave the room when she nursed. I feel grateful though that i got at least two weeks, and my sister got none; i have to say that she is 20 and has way more health problems than i do.
#4 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:33 AM

Both my younger brother (25yo) and I (27yo)were breastfed. We were breastfed a little past our first birthdays. I was nursed a little longer due to illness around 18 months. My mom said they only thing I would take while I was ill was the breast. Had a very forward thinking pediatrician who said "Well then nurse her." My mom's biggest motivator was our pediatrician and economics.
#5 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:40 AM

We were all breastfed. My brother only nursed for 9 months due to pregnancy, my sister for 18 months and me for almost 4 years.

My grandmother also nursed all of her kids for about 6 months each in the late 40's. All of her female grandchildren and all but one of her GCIL nursed their babes so the cycle was definitely broken

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#6 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 AM

I was breastfed for 8 months, then went to cow milk. My dh was ff from day one.
#7 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM

Nope. I was ff from day one.
#8 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Mom nursed my older sister briefly, my brother and I were FF from day 1.
#9 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 10:57 AM

Nope me and my brother were FF from day one.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#10 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 AM

I was FF from day one. DH was nursed until four-ish. Both our moms have passed away, but I would love to be able to talk to them more about their decisions. DH is a great supporter of me b/c he has such fond memories of nursing.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#11 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 11:10 AM

I am the middle child of 5 and was BF for 2 years. My older 2 siblings were FF and mom only BF me because she had recently been brought to a LLL meeting by a friend and learned of all the benefits. My sister was BF for around 18 months I am not too sure about my youngest brother.

My DH was FF as was his sister because his mom was told "her milk never came in". My SIL claimed she couldn't BF because her milk never came in either (just like mom) but she managed to BF for 3 weeks. If you have no milk, how do you BF for 3 weeks?!

LP
#12 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 11:11 AM

nope I'm the first in my family to breastfeed in 4 generations. My mom and grandmother didn't breastfeed... my grandmother's mom died during childbirth so I'm assuming she wasn't breastfed.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#13 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 AM

All my siblings and I were FF from day 1, with added baby cereal to make us sleep longer. After a couple of months of formula, we were all moved to whole cow's milk and baby cereal, with baby food. Table foods by 6 months. And she's proud of this. :
I've had GERD since 1999, and had problems with an ulcer in 1994, amongst numerous other serious health problems. I can't imagine why!
#14 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 11:28 AM

Yep. Back in 1965. In Nebraska. Where there was a LLL outpost.
#15 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 AM

I was nursed for three years! I feel very lucky. My younger sisters were both nursed for around a year.
#16 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

I was BF for 2 weeks, then Mom had to have emergency gall bladder surgery. The idiot doctors/nurses/whoever at the hospital gave her a shot to dry up her milk while she was unconscious without telling her. She was beyond p!ssed. My younger was BF for over 11 months, but then I *think* he started biting her hard enough to draw blood. She didn't want to stop BF either of us, but with me she obviously had no choice in the matter and with my brother she basically had no support.

DH was never BF. His mom says she wanted to, but her husband wouldn't let her. Add that to the list of reasons why I hate my FIL. On a happier note, his second wife beat the living crap out of him a few months ago for hitting her. She knocked his teeth out, blackened his eyes, and left.
#17 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was FF fed from day 1 basically i think they actually told my mom to not even try. I was born 3months premature in 1982.

I think dh was FF MIL ust seems like the type of person that wouldn't even try:

ETA~ My mom was born in 66 if im correct my grandma says she bf'd my mom and my one uncle for a few wks maybe a few months.

I think me bf'ing my daughter for 18months helped my mom choose to try and bf my little brother born in 05 she nursed/pumped for 3months, i now also have a little sister*born july06* and she's going to try harder to breastfeed longer this time.

[/color]

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#18 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad I started this thread. The range of answers is amazing!

My dh was breastfed until he was around three (born in NY in 1975 & a preemie). He was my mil's sixth child and I think she gradually nursed each child more and more because she only nursed her oldest (who is now 42) for 6weeks. Dh's younger 2 siblings were also nursed for 3 years.

My mother was not breastfed. She was born in 1948 in PA and the FP that delivered her told my grandmother that she didn't have to breastfeed. She only made mothers that didn't want their babies breastfeed so that they'd bond. Do you see the irony : ?
#19 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 12:34 PM

Sadly I say no I was not BF. Nor was my mother or any of her brothers and sisters I am almost 27 and my mom is 47, and the middle child of 6. My mom sees me with my children and wishes she had: She said that she wishes she could BF my children. So sad for her. But I told her that at least she could enjoy living vicariously thru me, and she loves to sit with me while I feed my babies, and talk to them, pet them etc. while they are eating, so I guess that's something anyway. It doesn't bother me, and to tell you the truth it's nice to have her be so supportive since I am the first BF mother that she has ever met...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#20 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, all you gals are so lucky to have been BF!

I'm kind of an old mom (35,) and I wasn't BF. Actually, my mom really wanted to. Her spinal was botched, and she was in excruciating pain where she couldn't even lift her head. She tried latching me on, but was struggling. Her doctor watched for a minute, said, "This is ridiculous. Formula is just as good," then gave her a shot to dry up her milk. My poor mom cried when she attended a seminar on the benefits of bf'ing with me. I really am a poster child on the detriments of FF: constant ear infections when I was a kid, a lifelong weight problem, and allergies.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#21 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM

I was born in 84, my mother BFed both my sister and I for at least a year (me for a year and half, until she was in a car accident that put her into a coma... they FFed after that! BTW -she's fine now)

Dh was FFed... but he was adopted... soooooo...
#22 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM

Born in '79 and self weaned around 3 ish. My brother was born in '62 and self weaned as well...when we talked about it I was young (mom died when I was 15) and really don't remember what she said but I think it was 2 or 3. She said that everyone thought she was absolutely insane for both kids.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#23 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 01:05 PM

deleted
#24 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 01:14 PM

taken into Foster Care at birth, and therefore FF from day one
#25 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 01:28 PM

I was born in 81 I wasn't BFed, FF from day one as was my brother who was born 11 years later in 92. My DH was nursed for a year. (I love my MIL, but she weaned him because he was trying to 'play' with the side that he wasn't eating on, so she put him in a crib and did CIO to wean She also refers to crying as exersize, so she sees nothing wrong with CIO... *sigh*)

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#26 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 01:31 PM

I was bf for 18 months. My brother was only bf for 8 weeks because mom went back to work and grandma kept giving him formula right before she'd come home to nurse him.
DH was only bf for maybe a few days. MIL was told she didn't have any milk.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

#27 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 01:32 PM

My mom didn't nurse #1. Nursed #2 for 8 months. Nursed #3 for 7 months and nursed me for 2 years. I was born in 1978. She didn't nurse #1 because her husband was jelous and abusive. She left him two weeks after my brother was born but at that point he wouldn't latch on. #2 she had significant issues with mastitis and huge amounts of stress and ended up having supply issues. #3 she introduced a bottle and my sister never took the breast again. I was the hippy baby being homebirthed and EN.

ETA: I don't know if my MIL ever nursed DH. Her oversupply was so extreme she used to have milk running down her legs and would bind herself. I think if someone had helped her she probably would have nursed. DH was on formula but had intollerence to the cow milk. He was switched to soy and was primarily raised on soy formula.

ETA again: My mom was raised on canned milk. Most of her teeth are falling out. She has GERD, hyperthyroid and constant sinus infections that she can never get rid of. She and I constantly wonder what her health would have been like if she had just been nursed. My maternal Aunt, canned milk too, has asthema, hyperthyroid, obesity, and had one of the valves replaced in her heart. Poor things!
#28 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 PM

me and my two sisters were all breastfed for a year

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#29 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 PM

LOL! Most of you were born after I graduated from high school. I was not breastfed at all. My ds, who I gave birth to a couple of months before my 41st birthday, weaned at 5.75 years (yeah, I know that makes me an old fart).
#30 of 95 Old 08-15-2006, 01:51 PM

My mom says that I (born '85) was nursed for a few months, but I've seen many pictures of tiny newborn me being given a bottle of juice (!) or formula by my dad. I was the first, number 2 (86) was nursed for 9 mos, number 3 (89) was nursed for 2.5 years.

Dh and his siblings were all nursed for a year or more.

Lini

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page