sleepy baby! i'm so worried :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-25-2003, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my baby is 8 days old and all she wants to do is sleep!! It is so diificult to wake her and when I finally do, she nurses for 5 minutes and falls back asleep!
Is something wrong with my milk?
the funny thing is that she has plenty of wet diapers with stool!!
I am going out of my mind. Any advice would be great!
a worried mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-25-2003, 11:56 PM

Hi!

First of all, relax! If your baby isn't losing weight (and gaining a little), you're doing just fine. Some babies are just like that, and require being woken up and nursed almost constantly. That's just the way they are. Just make sure you don't just let her sleep too long without eating or you will have a problem.

If she's peeing and pooping, then everything is ok. Celebrate your little one! You're doing great! And your milk is FINE!!! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!
#3 of 6 Old 03-26-2003, 01:10 AM

Both of my kids slept incessantly for the first two weeks, and amongst my friends and relatives, this seems to hold true. She'll wake up, try not to worry too much. I woke both my kids to nurse despite all the warnings. It made me feel better and eventually I stopped feeling the need as they began to awaken themselves. Congratulations!
#4 of 6 Old 03-26-2003, 03:12 AM

Rickyjake, this is a pretty common problem. You are not alone!

If you will call a local La Leche League leader, she can give you lots of very specific advice on this issue. Try LLL's list of local groups to find a contact in your area.

You also might try searching this forum for "sleepy baby." I'm sure there are quite a few older threads, and the search only takes a few seconds. (See the search field at the bottom of the page of threads in this forum.)

Best wishes, and congratulations on your daughter's birth!
#5 of 6 Old 03-26-2003, 08:29 AM

I have a sleepy baby too - except she is almost 8 WEEKS and I still hardly see her. She is the opposite of my son who I saw ALL THE TIME because he was on my boob constantly LOL

You got some good advice. Sometimes babies with jaundice can be a little sleepy so just make sure she isn't getting yellow.
#6 of 6 Old 03-26-2003, 09:18 AM

As long as she is nursing at least every 2 hours (one longer stretch at night of 3 or 4 hours, if the day went OK), and continues with the wet and poop dipes, and is gaining (at least 4-7 oz/wk), she should be OK.

It can be frustrating to have a sleepy one. I had one, she was born 3 wks early and jaundice came into it too. I used to wake her to nurse her every 2 hours. I would strip her down, change her, let her nurse in just the diaper (and t-shirt maybe), she would nurse for a few mins and want to sleep. I would change her again, and offer the other breast. I would also have to jiggle her, talk to her, stroke her, sit her up, to keep her awake.

I had to wake her for every feed til she hit her due date, then she finally started waking to feed on her own, and seemed like a real human being!

Of course there's nothing wrong with your milk!!! It's just her. Sometimes it takes them a while to recover from the birth, or an epidural, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page