Clearing eustachian tubes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-16-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poor DD...she's had 6 ear infections in six months. I go in, we get abx, go back in 10 days and usually they are gone. Once we had to go to a 2nd and then a 3rd round of abx. There have also been several times that I know her ears have been bothering her, I take her in and they say, "there's a little bit of fluid there, but it's clear and not infection." (no abx, just ride it out and see if it goes away or becomes infected)

We have a good friend who is in family practice. We don't go to him for med. care, but he is a good friend. He asked me if she was drinking from a straw (or could she drink from a straw). I said I was still nursing about 2-5 times a day and she drinks water from a sippy. He said that suction needed when drinking from a straw helps clear the eustachian tubes. He said that the suction needed for nursing and sippy cups don't do the trick but if I could encourage a straw more often then it should help keep the tubes clear.

Anyone else ever heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-16-2006, 08:00 PM

Nope. I've heard that the sucking for breastfeeding DOES help while the sucking for bottles does not.

Out of curiosity, why are you doing antibiotics for ear infections?

-Angela
#3 of 5 Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

This whole ear thing started actually, back in October. We just started doing ABX in January. From October - January I tried natural/homeo stuff. I tried Hyland's, I tried dripping BM into her ear, I even tried eliminating common allergens. Hmmm....what else did I try....I can't even remember it all now. I know I tried anti-inflammatory stuff (ie, ibuprofen and some other herbal anti-inflammatories). It just seems like she responds best, so far, to abx.
#4 of 5 Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 PM

I would have her see a chriopractor - they can really help. All my kids have bad ears(it's genetic) and the chiro has helped tremendously.
And I have to admit I may get flamed for this but in cases of re-ocurrant ear infections and persisant fluid in the ears the best thing to do is have tubes put in. In my kids I much rather the tubes then the constant antibiotics and infections. Persistant fluid can lead to perminant hearing loss and if the antibiotics and chriopractic care don't drain it then tubes to drain it might be the best bet.
#5 of 5 Old 08-17-2006, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I never thought of chiropractic treatment! That's one thing we haven't tried! : at myself!!!

I'm going to call a chiro today and see if I can get her in.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page