bfing while pg - nipples sore! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2003, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 12 weeks pregnant and nursing my 13 month old. Just last week my nipples started to get really sensitive and now it's driving me nuts. I have never been so aware of her teeth before! Does this get better on it's own soon? Is there anything I can do? I want to pull my hair out!!!

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2003, 12:01 AM

I just went through the same thing. I am now 17 weeks and have an 18 month old. I can tell you that for me, I felt really frustrated and resentful at times. I spent a lot of time talking to other mom's about how hard this was and then remembering why I chose to keep breastfeeding in the first place. This helped emotionally. For the actual discomfort I did a lot of breathing.

I can say that for me it did get better by about 15 weeks. Hang in there.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:13 AM

I went through the same thing. I had to think hard about other things while nursing. Hang in there. It IS worth it!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 03-29-2003, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. I definitely won't be quitting, I just want some way to deal with it so I won't go nuts. It's nice to hear that it can get better before delivery. I'll try the breathing and maybe reading or watching tv while I nurse.

Patti
Old 03-29-2003, 05:18 AM

my DD is almost 2 & it hasent got better I try not to think about it
Old 03-29-2003, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Are you pregnant? I hope it gets better.

Patti
Old 03-29-2003, 03:52 PM

Nursing got very uncomfortable for me during the end of my pregnancy. The dr and LC said it was the changing shape of my breasts....it felt like bad latch. I just nursed through it, some positions were better than others. Hope it eases up for you!
Old 03-29-2003, 11:52 PM

Same thing happened with me, but Kali was about 20 months when I got pregnant with Skye.
I let her nurse until I was four months away from my due date, then I put a stop to it. I was too sore and grouchy, and I couldn't imagine tandem nursing, so I allowed plenty of time for her to get over nursing before I started bfing her brother. It really wasn't that hard... I used distraction techniques, and only cut out a nursing at a time, and was very gradual about it.
HOWEVER, you have a 13 month old... do you use lots of Lansinoh? It may get easier in your second trimester, as your body adjusts to the newness of being pregnant again. If you don't want to tandem nurse, maybe you could plan on gradually cutting back until he's completely weaned by the time you're due in, say, two or three months.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I don't mind tandem nursing. I really don't even want Beth to wean anytime soon. How would I ever get her to sleep? I have Lanisoh that I got when I was pregnant with her, but I've never used it. Isn't it just for dry or cracked nipples?

Patti
Old 03-30-2003, 04:44 PM

I agree with candiland-- LOTS of Lansinoh. I'm 38 weeks and it doesn't hurt any more, but for several weeks it was just about all I could stand. I used so much Lansinoh that DS (2 yrs.) started to bring the tube to me when he wanted to nurse. I think he was getting about half of his calories from the Lansinoh at that point. : I also found that laying down to nurse was more comfortable, DS didn't wiggle around as much.

fizzymom and the clan

User Tag List