Nipple Pain at 7 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What could this be? It is both nipples and almost like the initial toe-curling newborn nipple pain. It has not been there the whole time we've been nursing. I think I had a couple of days where I thought I had thrush around 2-3 months but it went away. ETA: dd has no signs of thrush, and I don't think there are visible signs of thrush on my nipples.

I nursed my ds until around 6 months when I finally had enough of this similar pain. I went to every doctor I could and no one had an answer. We tried gentian violet, nystatin, lotrimin, etc. Weaning was the only thing that helped. I don't want to do that again.

Thanks!

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 09:04 PM

Could you be pregnant? You can get that kind of pain with pregnancy.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#3 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

: Please don't ask me that!! Do you really think I need 3 under 3??

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#4 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Now that I've had a moment to think about it, I guess I could be... BUT this is very similar to the pain I had before I weaned my ds. I got pg as I was weaning him.

HOLY $|-|itballs!

#5 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 09:20 PM

Does your dd still get up for a nighttime feeding? If not your chances for getting preggo go up. Also, if she is not EBF (is she eating solids?). I'd do a test if I were you. But now I'm curious. Let me know if ya are...

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#6 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

SHe eats all the time - at night too. SHe is only eating some solids, and probably about 6-10 spoonfuls 1-2 times a day.

#7 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 09:39 PM

hmmmmm.....I'm not sure on this one.....I would keep the preggo thing in the back of your mind......and maybe do a test.

#8 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's a clear negative (I had to run out and get a test), although I *may* be fertile and that's the reason for the pain? I guess I should call the Birth Center and get them to do a pap and prescribe some bc pills! Does getting your period affect your milk supply?

#9 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 PM

Can you take bc pills while breastfeeding? I don't think your supply will be affected.

#10 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 11:31 PM

I would definitly watch out with the BC pills, even the mini pill. I have had two friends have drastic reduction in milk supply while on the pill. Doesn't mean you will too, but it is a definite possibility.

If your child is nursing every 1 - 2 hours, maybe all the nursing is starting to wear on your nipples. I know when #2 was nursing every hour around the clokd (about a month ago) my boobs hurt so bad, every nursing, not to mention he did bite he a few times.
#11 of 17 Old 08-25-2006, 11:38 PM

thrush sounds like a definite possibility. if gentian violet didn't work well for you, try liquid citricidal grapefruit see extract according to Dr. Jay Gordon's protocol on his website www.drjaygordon.com

~claudia
#12 of 17 Old 08-26-2006, 01:52 AM

thats crazy! my dd is 7 1/2 months old almost 8 and I have been noticing that my nipples have been really really sore for about the past 3 or so weeks... I just thought it might be her bottom teeth rubbing my nipples while she ate, because she hasnt bitten me.. so I dont know.
#13 of 17 Old 08-27-2006, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I would definitly watch out with the BC pills, even the mini pill. I have had two friends have drastic reduction in milk supply while on the pill. Doesn't mean you will too, but it is a definite possibility.
I saw this post and just wanted to let you know, if you didn't already know, that the Today sponge is back on the market after 11 years of being unavailable. It has a reliability rate comparable to condoms and is non-hormonal. You can leave it in for 24 hours and be as "active" as you'd like to be within that time frame with no decrease in efficacy, plus you can still have a pretty high level of spontaneity. I was searching for a non-hormal contraceptive while nursing my DS and it's been great!
#14 of 17 Old 08-27-2006, 09:56 AM

ds is 8 months, teething like mad (he's getting at least 3 teeth in, including the front 2 top ones), and my nipples are huuuuuurting. I think it's a combination of his wanting to nurse all the time for comfort, and what I think is a deterioration in the quality of his latch. He's always been an excellent latcher, but I think maybe his sore gums are affecting it a bit, because he does seem to be doing the "hanging on the nipple" thing. Could your babe be teething? Hope it's that and not pg!

Oh, and I have been wondering whether AF is on its way back lately--I'm not charting but there seem to be signs. Could the changing hormone levels be responsible?

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#15 of 17 Old 08-27-2006, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies, thanks for all your input! I am still not really excited about going on the pill, so I'm putting it off. She is definitely teething and I think that's why I'm hurting so bad. I think it's already better on the left - the right, well, it's always been more sensitive, so I think it's going to take a little longer.

#16 of 17 Old 08-27-2006, 01:36 PM

I read that the excess saliva created from teething can cause nipple irritation. I had a very simlar post to this when dd was 7 months and someone gave me this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...les-older.html. Hth.
#17 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 02:37 PM

I had return of nipple pain when I started ovulating again. It could be that. AF may be on her way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page