Lots of pumping questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2003, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work 3 Saturdays a month and dh brings dd to work to nurse. She is almost 10 months old now and can be gone longer periods of time without nursing. It is getting really old for dad to have to come bring her so we are going to try pumping so he can stay home with her or at least only have to bring her to me once. I have only tried pumping once before with an Avent Isis manual pump. I got a little and dd would have nothing to do with a bottle so I never bothered to pump again.

I now have an electric pump. It is made by Bailey and is called Nuture III.

I have been pumping for a week now. I am only able to get a let down by nursing dd and pumping the other side while she nurses. I only get about 1 ounce from that breast at a pumping. I let dd nurse fully on one side, pump the other then switch her over to let her nurse the pumped side.

I pump about 4 times a day, getting about 4 ounces or maybe a little more.

Can I expect my body to acclimate to pumping so that the milk will let down with the pump? If so, what is the "usual" amount of milk I can expect to get from both breasts in one pumping? (I suspect this amt varies widely!)

For those who pump, how much does a baby this age usually take in in a feeding? She is petite, about 15 1/2 pounds. I need to know how much I should have on hand for dad to make sure she gets enough. She is exclusively breastfed, no solids yet.

Also, I have been pumping into the bottle, putting a cap on it and putting it in the fridge. Is it ok to pump into the same bottle thru out the day, keeping it refrigerated, until it is full at the end of the day? (4 oz bottles)

Thanks!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2003, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Karen,

All I can give you is my experience; your mileage may vary!

Are you trying to pump during the week to build up a stash for feeding on the weekends? If so, getting 4 ounces a day is pretty good; that means you'll have 20 ounces by Saturday. I will bet that that's more than your dd will likely drink, especially if she's not interested in drinking from a bottle.

I don't know if there is a "usual" amount to get from each breast while pumping. When I was at work, I would pump twice a day and get on average 5 to 6 ounces from both breasts combined, sometimes a little more. Evan hated the bottle though so he would never take more than a couple ounces at at time, and would mostly wait for me to come home to nurse.

One option would be for you to build up a stash to feed her one Saturday, then pump while you're at work that day and freeze it for the next weekend's use. I think you'll probably be able to get more when you're away from your baby rather than nursing all day.

Have you searched these boards for pumping threads? There's a lot of great advice on how to maximize your let down - massage your breasts ahead of time, bend over and shake them before you pump, do some deep breathing and think about rivers flowing, etc.

I don't remember whether it's OK to pump into the same bottles - I think it's OK but I'd have to look it up.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

User Tag List