Did you get off to a good or a rocky start? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you get off to an easy start breastfeeding?
Yes 44 100.00%
No. And I was prepared (read lots and talked lots to nursing moms) 52 100.00%
No (I thought it was fairly uncomplicated and I was sure surprised when things got rough) 27 100.00%
No (didn't really prepare for bfing) 6 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2003, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks ladies for your kind words and support. I hate pumping, but I'll do anything for my little Helon. I know I would have never continued to do this if everyone around me, including you ladies, had not encouraged and supported me. I have grown much wiser in the Art of Bf just by reading everyone's post. Dh and I plan on getting preggo the end of this year and I will do everthing I can to make it work. If it doesn't, well I already know I am an expert pumper

What will be funny is if I can get my future baby to latch and Helon (who will be around 2) decides she wants to bf because her sibiling is bf.

Thanks again...

Jenni and Helon 6/29/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 11:49 AM

Once I got dd latched on correctly after a day or two it was easy. THEN, my milk came in and ouch!... I was so engorged that I couldn't bf or pump because neither the pump or the baby could latch on. It was the most painful thing ever (I guess you suffer this if you formula feed).

We used a nipple shield for a week just so dd would have something to latch on and after that we had a wonderful nursing relationship for 20 months (minus the shield of course).

I said we didn't have a rough start, but I was mentally prepared to have to put some work into it, and I think that made the difference. I was so incredibly determined that my dd would never get any formula that I was willing to do whatever it took. LOL

And Jenni- wow! I worked p/t and pumped while at work for 9 months and that was enough work, so I really admire you for pumping day/night!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:09 PM

I had easy times with my first four, besides the sore nipples with my first.
My fifth, on the other hand, was a nightmare!
A very difficult home birth following the murder of my father at 5 months, discovering that the father of my children had a whole other family he was keeping on the side at six months, (when I was six months pregnant, his girlfriend shows up my house with a six month old baby : ) my mother's stroke at 8 months, and chicken pox. Me and D(arn)P split up. Went 3 weeks over due. This baby was 9 1/2 pounds, OP, brow presenting, pushed for 5 hours, hemorrhaged, he fractured my coccyx when his head finally descended. He was sleepy, was not interested in nursing AT ALL, took me 3 days to finally get him to take the breast without crying and turning his head away.......I had to wake him up for feeding while taking pain medicine for the fractured coccyx . then we got the thrush, him in his mouth, me on my nipples, I got the plugged ducts, then a fever, then the red streak.....yup, mastitis. Did the antibiotics, which made the thrush worse, and finally after almost 3 months, everything was fine....wheeeeew! I just kept on keeping on, and it all worked out fine in the end.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:05 AM

We had a rocky start. I have only one child and I knew it would be work but we had a Csect--after 21 hrs of labor (long story)--and he was kept in the nursery to get warm for 4 hrs before I got to hold him.

He was transferred to the NICU in another city at 18 hrs old because he was vomitting blood--I was still in the other hospital and started pumping right away.

I was released a day and 1/2 later, baby was in the NICU for 5 days and we tried to nurse but it was hard, and the nurses "helped" but didn't really have anything to offer me. On the way home from the baby being discharged we stopped to see a Lconsultant. and she got us started but on a nipple sheild (I did not like that and ds was 4 months old before he would give that darn thing up!!) we had to do the try to nurse, give and expressed bottle, pump, at every feeding. Also the hospital gave me the added stress of telling me that the baby absolutely could not lose weight--he didn't by the way.

Anyway, after 4 months when he finally gave up that sheild I enjoyed nursing--he nursed til 11 1/2 months.

I have big breasts and that was a pain in the neck! next time, I will be more confident--I will be more forceful at the hospital, I will try to nurse longer, I will care less if I have to nurse in public with my big boobs!

Malissa
Old 05-01-2003, 01:58 AM

i'm right in the middle of it. how come this isn't instinctual? damnit.

when Joe was born, I had tons of milk. he never had formula until I had to go back into the hospital 7 days after he was born. I was gone for 8 days. I kept my supply going, but not at the same rate, even tho I couldn't give it to him because I was on meds that weren't good for him. When I got out, it just wasn't the same. he's latched on in the past, he emptied one of my breasts. but, now he just wobbles his mouth over my nipple and then screams. or he'll put his mouth on it, tongue it, but then i have to give him a bottle. and he's getting more forumal than milk. supply is low. it sucks. i'm trying to get the supply back up by pumping more often. i think it's so important that i'd pump forever, but it'd be so much better if he could get it right from the source. i've got lots of support, lc's, a doula, i think the problem is just supply right now. can't use fenugreek because it lowers my blood sugar. gak. we've got him using nipples that he has to suck with, so he's working that part. thanks for the thread. it helps.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:10 AM

ooops
Old 05-01-2003, 03:52 AM

ooops
Old 05-01-2003, 04:29 AM

NormalMom, have you tried blessed thistle and alfalfa? What about domperidone? Do a search for domperidone here and you'll find the Newman links plus ordering info.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-02-2003, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

NormalMom, I hope things get a bit easier for you down the line. I am glad that you found this thread helpful. I was hoping that women could come here to see that it isn't always easy in the beginning, but for most of us there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope that things get easier for Joe. It is good to know that you have lots of support.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:46 PM

First, to the pumping moms-- you rock!! That's an awesome thing that you are doing!

I voted that it was tough, but I had lots of help. Our hosptial has a bfing class that was awesome and they encourage partners to come as well. The also have a weekly support group (and met Jish and that saved my life! DD#1 was great at latching on, but took forever to nurse the first few weeks (months?). It was more painful than I could ever imagine for the first 6 weeks... and then plugged ducts that req. antibiotics around 6 mo. After that all was smoothe sailing until we weaned. Nary a drop of formula. (Yeah! I've finally found something I'm good at! )

DD#2 was so very different. She latched on at birth, but then had to have a bottle of sugar water in the nursery (grrr... I shouldn't have let them take her) and refused to nurse for the next 30 hours or so. She'd kind of latch on and then pull off and scream. Of couse, they also gave her a paci (grrr....) and she sucked great on that--so we knew she could suck... Since I had already had one awesome bfing experience I knew I could do it and we stuck with it. Now the babe is 9 mo and won't take a bottle. She's also never had formula and I hope won't have to--especially since I don't know how we'd give it to her!) After the first week we haven't had any problems at all. No pain (except let down) no plugged ducts, just a wonderful bfing experience.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:21 AM

Did you get innaccurate breastfeeding advice? No..not really.

Was is your first, second, third, etc?
My First Baby

Was it a mental or physical?
I think it was physical

Did you have enough postpartum help/support?
Not at all..the nurse who helped me to breastfeed was no help and I wasnt' showed how to latch on properly..but I didn't know that...I though all was well.

What would you have done differently or you think that there was anything that you could have done differently?

I read every book I can possibly think of..but even then that's not enough..I had no help..but from my Hubby..which was 100% supportive..if it werent for him pushing me to keep going I may not still be breastfeeding now at almost 14 monhts..
My beast were so Sore, Cracked, and Bleeding the first two weeks..because my son was not lactching on right..
What I would have done that I didn't do was call a lactation Consultant....my mistake was calling the hospital nursery for advice..little did I know they know (crap) about breastfeeding.

Even after reading all the books in the library about breastfeeding and nursing one, two, etc, you can never be fully prepared. After everything...breastfeeding my son has been the best thing I can do for his littleprecious life.
And one day he'll thank me for it!
Old 05-17-2003, 04:39 PM

How many of you had an easy start breastfeeding? With my first son i was very rocky and unfortunately being young nd having no suppport I quit a lot earlier than I had hoped for

How many of you ran into some road blocks (or maybe some duct blocks )? I had clogged milk ducts, mastisis and developed an UTI 2 weeks pp ad I was in the military I was given medication in which I hadto pump and dump for 10 days. I was still bound and determined to succeed bu had no support my DH did not have a clue about Breastfeeding and it was not natural to him. My Grandmother in law just knew the baby was not getting enough to eat and eventually I got so frustrated I gave up.

For those of you who had difficulties, can you expand on why you had difficulties? See above

Did you get inaccurate breastfeeding advice? I did nt get any advice first time around

Was it your first born, second, third....?1st born I went on to nuse my 2nd ds till he elf weaned at 10 months and I am still going strong with my dd who is 7 months and will continue till she self weans
Was is it a mental or physical problem? Both

Did you have enough postpartum help/support? No way

What would you have done differently or do you think that there was anything that you could have done differently? I would have refusedmedication and I would hve dumpedthe formula in the trash and went about it with no temptation to usethe stuff which is what I did with both my other 2
Old 05-17-2003, 11:48 PM

I firmly believe that the number one problem with those women who would like to breastfeed but don't is the support system. This means support in all areas including help from the father and other family members not only with encouragement but in handling other things to lessen the load on the frustrated and exhausted mother.

If I had not had that from my DH I would have quit long before the three weeks were up.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:50 PM

I chose "No, but I was prepared," though the only class I attended was ineffective.

I had support-- my mom and sister both BF, but they hadn't encountered my problems. My ped even helped me a lot. I also paid for a LC. My DH NEVER once suggested formula.

My problem was getting DD to open wide enough for a good latch. I tried everything to no avail-- it hurt SO much while nursing (not just during the initial latch on, but throughout). I had to wait until she cried to latch on, which meant NIP was extremely difficult. Once she had what seemed to be a good latch, I still felt pain (wasn't thrush or anything). The ladies at LLL suggested that maybe DD just had a small mouth and time would solve all. They were right! I did suffer for 8 weeks (mentally and physically), but she's 15 months old and a nurse-a-holic now.

I don't think I was as prepared, though, as I could have been. I relied too much on my mom and sis-- would've been better to get a bigger supprt system pre-baby (LLL).

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 05-26-2003, 03:37 AM

Not only was I prepared but this was my second baby that I had serious trouble with . Ds # 2 did not latch on properly due to nerves crunched in birth, and I was used to nursing a two year old and forgot that I had to give lots of support and direction in the beginning. I almost lost all of my milk and had to get a lactation consultant over to help. They were about to have me use....formula, but the lactation consultant thought that because it was my second child that I could overcome our difficulties. We also had my dh do cranio-sacral work which almost immediatly helped ds open his mouth wider and start to root like he should have been. Things are great now except for clogged duct issues i cannot seem to resolve.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:49 AM

Did you get inaccurate breastfeeding advice? not too bad, my ped was very bf friendly and a family friend so i had that as a recource
Was it your first born, second, third....? first
Was is it a mental or physical problem? physical, couldnt get him to latch once my milk came in
Did you have enough postpartum help/support? yes i had an LC come to my home and help
What would you have done differently or do you think that there was anything that you could have done differently? I would have absolutly kept bottles away from him.
I think most of it was inexperience on my part. After the six weeks of bad latch and over active let down we were good to go. With my second my OALD was worse and we worked through that well too.

User Tag List