another in the thrush series: Is it gone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2003, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My ds never had spots in his mouth. I did have some white spots in my nipples, but they only came out after I had figured out that the pain was thrush. he did a course of Nystatin, I did all-purpose nipple ointment, grapefruit seed extract solution on nipples, took some acidophilus and gse tablets. I also had a prescription for diflucan but at the dosage for vaginal yeast infection. Also lots of laundry! Clean bra and nightgown and bathtowel every day, and clean clothes for ds (because he sucks his sleeves. I am really careful! )

My midwife, who is not a lactation consultant and doesn't seem that knowledgeable about breasts, examined me. (6 week postpartum visit--she's a great midwife in other respects.) She said that thrush was gone and that I didn't need to keep treating it. But that very day I had one of those crack blisters on the left nipple, which she saw. My nipples look better, so I was extremely disappointed that I got this blister.

So I want to know: am I getting cracks on the left side again because I'm not positioning ds right on the one side? Or do I still have thrush? I don't have pain in the rest of the breast any longer. I'm going back to work on Monday morning part time and if I still have thrush, I'll have to keep boiling my pump parts and ds's bottles each night. Also if it's a latch issue I need to figure out what it is, because I can't have only one breast that doesn't hurt. I need them both to produce milk so there will be enough when I pump. (I'm still nursing on the left in spite of the crack, which seems to be healing okay.)

Another nursing question that might be related: my ds is still sometimes crying during nursing. he also sometimes cries during bottle feeding (with expressed breastmilk) that my husband gives him. So it's not my letdown. He's not spitting up. It doesn't happen every feeding, sometimes he just latches on and nurses like a rock star. Symptom of ongoing thrush? Or is this a mild case of reflux? Or what? Is he not really hungry? It seems to help when we burp him, which is why reflux seems like a possibility, but he has no problem sleeping lying down.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2003, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whether or not the thrush is actually gone if you're getting cracking again it may very well come back. The serum that your body secretes when you have a wound is prime yeast food. I'm sorry! I would keep on with the boiling, the nipple ointment, gse, acidophilus, and try to get the sugar out of your diet as much as possible.

Do you have a lactation consultant or LLL leader who can evaluate your baby's latch? As far as I know damage to the nipple is usually a result of bad latch, and yeast is a consequence not a cause of cracking.

I'm so sorry, I know it sucks!!! I hope your transition back to work goes OK!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 03-30-2003, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would continue natural remedies for thrush any time you have cracks on your nipple.

User Tag List