One sore nipple, baby refuses other nipple now - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-30-2003, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everything seemed to be going alright for about a week, and then...

Thursday evening I realized my left nipple was very sore for some unknown reason . I don't think its thrush or anything...maybe she had a bad latch or popped off wthout breaking suction. I'm not sure. It hurts though..even when she isn't nursing.

So I thought I'd try and rest the nipple a little by having her nurse from my right breast first during a feeding. Only problem is she doesn't seem to like that one now. I noticed the 2 nipples look somewhat different. The right is smaller and thinner and softer. She doesn't seem to latch on securely. She will latch on and then almost immediately unlatch or it seems like it slips out of her mouth or something. She just doesn't seem to even suck as vigorously at this breast either. She seems to suck on the sore one quite strongly, or maybe it only seems that way because its hurts so bad. If I do get her latched on and she stays she doesn't seem to suck at all. I don't understand why. It isn't enngorged either, in fact the left one seems to become engorged at times, but not usually the right.

Why's she not like the right now?

She just seems to love to nurse on the sore nipple and it hurts so badly I have to grind my teeth the pain is that bad. Its making me really hate feeding her. I dread feeding her and am generally miserable. I am finding nothing I enjoy about this breastfeeding business. Dh thinks I should pump and bottle feed her rather than being miserable and resenting the baby. I don't even know if that would work. I feel like I am a horrible mother because I hate breastfeeding. Nothing worthwhile is easy though, I guess...

I know someone will tell me to try calling a LLL person. I already tried to contact one from the closest group (30miles) and she wasn't around cuz she was moving out of the area so they gave me another number and that person wasn't around for some other reason.. they just kept giving me another number and another, so I give up... it'd probably be easier to get the pope on the phone! I've spoken to the LC from the hospital I delivered at a couple times shortly after the baby was born and she acts like I'm wasting her precious time.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-30-2003, 06:16 PM

My ds 2 preferred on nipple over the other... What i would do is to use the cradle hold like I would on the side he like, and then just "shift" him (in my case) left to the other side.. Then he was in the same position,a nd was fooled into thinking it was the same side??? I don't know, but it did work for awhile.. it did take some pillows for propping, but you might give it a try...

HTH

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#3 of 4 Old 03-30-2003, 07:26 PM

I don't know why your one nipple is sore? If there is no sign of bruising or a scrape or sore, it could be thrush. Esp if it seems to hurt inside.

You are still in the learning period. Try the positioning Pynki suggested. If he doesn't nurse well on the rt side, pump and offer pumped milk by another method. If you don't take off the milk, your supply will start to go down on that side. If all else fails, of course, you can nurse from only one side.

Try Lansinoh on the sore side for a couple days, and put some expressed milk on it.

Most people these days use Diflucan for thrush. In case it is that.

Sorry you havne't gotten a hold of a Leader yet. Try some of the other numbers. Or hire a LC on your own, for an actual visit, not just a free phone consult with the hosp LC. Most hosp LCs are overworked.

Good luck! Hang in, it will be worth it.
#4 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I figured out why it was so sore. Or rather Dh figured it out. He pointed out that for whatever reason I had a very small crack or tear in my nipple. I'm not sure why it happened. Maybe it got dried out or the latch was bad one time or something... Lansinoh helped clear it up in record time, though. It hurt so badly Sunday and by Monday morning it felt so much better. I've decided to use it before my daily showers too. I think maybe soap was getting on my nipples or the water was just washing away the natural oils...dunno, but it couldn't hurt, right?

Still not sure why the baby was refusing the right nipple... but she got over it and is nursing great now. I did use Pynki's trick, though and it worked! I'm glad because I was becomming engorged and was pumping, but that still wasn't enptying the breast sufficently and I was getting scared I was getting a plugged duct or mastittis...

...but everything is going so much better now. I hope things continue this way for a while.

I've decided to put of nursing laying down for the time being. That might be how I got her latched bad got the cracked, sore nipple. Perhaps we'll be ready to try it in a week again or so.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page