Best sling for bfing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-31-2003, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I don't know if this is the right place to pose this question, so if not pls point me the right way. I'm looking for my first sling and I want one that's not only comfy for me & the baby, but one that'll I'll be able to bf in easily. I really like the look of the Kangaroo Fleece pouch, it looks way comfy and easy to use. But I also like the kinds with the rings and the "tails" so I can use it to cover up when NIP. What are your recommendations? Is there any sling you really liked/disliked? Any comments and reviews will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 03-31-2003, 04:54 PM

Hey there,
I have a few different kinds and in my opinion I would say a Maya wrap type of sling is the easiest to bf in. I think because it is easily adjustable. It does take practice though.
Good luck!
#3 of 24 Old 03-31-2003, 05:02 PM

I second the Mayawrap sling. It was my fourth carrier/sling and it's the only one I have felt comfy nursing in. My dd is 13mo now and I can still walk through the store nursing her discreetly. The ones I had before where a front carrier (name slips my mind), a Nojo sling that never seemed tight enough (even though I'm not tiny!), a dydimos, and now the Mayawrap. I looked at a fleece sling in a catolog and it looked like it may be too stretchy, so keep that in mind in too. You want them snug.
#4 of 24 Old 04-01-2003, 01:32 AM

My first successful BF in a sling was actually in a Kangaroo Korner Fleece Pouch. It's not really discreet though, since you can't cover up. If you want a tail, I have to third the Maya wrap recommendation. Otherwise, I love my fleece pouch!
#5 of 24 Old 04-01-2003, 11:49 AM

I just went to a LLL area conference this weekend, and it seemed to me, half the babies were in Maya Wraps, half were in Over the Shoulder Baby Holders. I did see some babies in snuggli-type front packs or backpacks (usually on dads) but these babies weren't nursing.

Nojos look like OTSBHs, but are too loose, as stated above.
#6 of 24 Old 04-01-2003, 02:13 PM

I use a Maya Wrap type sling and love it! Learning to bf in it does take lots of practive!
#7 of 24 Old 04-01-2003, 02:15 PM

Oh! Just wanted to add that it is important to get a sling with good shoulder padding for comfort. It may take a bit of practice to find the most comfortable way to carry a baby as well. Good Luck!
#8 of 24 Old 04-02-2003, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your opinions! The maya wrap was the first sling I actually came across and was gonna get, till I heard some raves about the Kangaroo Fleece Pouch. Hmmmm.........hard decision- one of both? :LOL
#9 of 24 Old 04-03-2003, 03:01 AM

I have seven slings, so I'm not exactly restrained when it comes to this, but I say definitely one of each! They each have their own advantages. I think of all the seven, those two are my "essentials." The fleece one is really great for cold weather, and the Maya is better for hot, so there you go, one winter and one summer sling.
#10 of 24 Old 04-13-2003, 12:30 AM

The maya wrap....it was comfortable to nurse in teh OTSBH and the No-jo too but I had to use a baby blanket to cover up my tummy....I really like the tail on the maya...very useful! And I have a fleece one too, that is great (but only in cold weather). I made it myself. Very, VERY easy to do. I just bought two yards of fleece and cut it long ways to get two 6ft by about 30inch peices of fleece and I bought a couple of rings (from Wal-mart in teh craft section...although these are not for carrying a specific weight...you might want to look elsewhere) and then ...geez...it's hard to describe. But there is no sewing at all. It took like seriously 10 mintues. Trim the tail to the length you like (I accidentally made mine too short!) And you can keep the extra peice of fleece for cloth diapers or a blanket or make a sling for a friend. I highly recomend it! And good luck!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#11 of 24 Old 04-13-2003, 12:42 AM

I LOVE my Kissasling! (By the makers of Kissaluvs diapers.) It's similar in style to a Maya wrap but can be bought with lighter fabrics so I think it would not be quite as hot in warm weather. It has a tail and a padded shoulder. Check in a Mothering copy for an ad for Kissaluvs diapers and you'll be able to check out the slings. Good luck!

~Melissa
#12 of 24 Old 04-13-2003, 01:32 PM

I've got the fleece pouch and a Maya wrap and love both of them, but I've only been able to breastfeed in the Maya wrap so far. This is with a newborn. The fleece pouch is wonderful for cooler weather and for putting dd to sleep, and worked really well for her as a small baby (6 lbs). But it's quite snug and maybe takes more practice to bf in. The Maya wrap is so easy to loosen and the tail is great I had an OTSBH with my son and found it way too bulky.
#13 of 24 Old 04-13-2003, 02:02 PM

I have a Piggy Sling (like the Maya) and I love it. I haven't been too hot in it yet, and I like the tail for covering up when nursing or if we're out and the sun is in his eyes or it's really windy or chilly.

We nurse in it pretty well. At first, I sometimes had to put a folded diaper under him or rolled under my breast to position us correctly. He's 9 weeks now and we nursed it in last night with no propping almost entirely hands free.
#14 of 24 Old 04-13-2003, 09:30 PM

My maya-like sling is called a Khanga Sling. I bought it brand new from e-bay. It has a padded shoulder and is very comfortable. It took some working with as I'm sure it does for every momma, but now using it is a cinch. What sling did you end up choosing?
#15 of 24 Old 04-13-2003, 10:15 PM

I have to add another vote for the Maya Wrap. I have 3 kiddos, and I have managed to nurse hands free in my maya wrap while grocery shopping and pushing the cart MANY times. It is very handy, and just takes a little pratice to be able to nurse in.

I just got an undied maya wrap that I am going to tie-dye for the new baby due in July. I absolutely love my maya wrap, and I have heard wonderful things about the fleece pouch slings. I'm pretty sure I will be getting one of those as well.

Hope you find what you are looking for!
#16 of 24 Old 04-14-2003, 11:03 PM

I have the fleece pouch and a maya wrap. I think it's easier to carry my baby in the pouch, but easier to nurse in the maya wrap - my vote would be for one of each! Of course, since he's 26" already at 2 1/2 months, I don't know how long either will work...

Kristin
Mama to Aaron, 1/26/03
#17 of 24 Old 04-15-2003, 12:12 AM

Kristin, I think you'll be fine with both for a while, depending on your DS' weight. My DS weighs 22lbs at 9 months and I can still comfortably carry him in both of those.
#18 of 24 Old 04-18-2003, 10:15 AM

I love my New Native Baby Carrier... but I didn't get it until after dd was bigger. Is it hard to nurse a newborn in it?

If I can't use the NNBC to nurse in, I'll need one of the other slings. Where is the cheapest place to get the Maya Sling? Their site or somewhere else?

TIA!

PS- my ebf (for 20 months) dd is only 22.5 lbs at 27 months...
#19 of 24 Old 04-18-2003, 10:22 AM

Wow... the Khanga sling is $43.50, but there's several NIP on eBay with a BIN for $16.00. I think I'm going to get one!
#20 of 24 Old 04-18-2003, 11:37 AM

kristin--

Of course you can nurse a 26" baby in a sling. The OTSBHs and Mayas are both recced to 35 lbs, but I have seen moms snuggling 4 and 5 year olds in them.

I used my OTSBH with my son daily until he was one. We wore it out, so I got another and used it daily until he was about 3 1/2 (and he was big for his age). He loved his "ree ree."
#21 of 24 Old 04-18-2003, 10:49 PM

TDaryLLL- I will miss your Wizard of Oz quote

I was never able to nurse ds in the sling when he was newborn, but by three months we had it down. Keep trying. You'll get it, it is an aquired skill.
#22 of 24 Old 04-19-2003, 07:00 PM

Our problem is less with nursing in the sling than with using it as a carrier. We do practice a lot - the problem I'm running into is that he's getting too tall for the cradle hold, but doesn't have very much neck control for any other position. Don't worry, I won't give up

Kristin
#23 of 24 Old 04-19-2003, 07:03 PM

I CAN BF IN MY REBOZO VERY EASILY. ALSO I CAN BF IN MY PACKABABY ON BOTH SIDES EASY.

HTH
#24 of 24 Old 04-20-2003, 09:19 AM

Maya Wrap recall...not sure if they fixed it or not...just thought I'd let you know...

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01225.html

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page