Good logical, fact-filled EBF support info needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2003, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend is getting ready to enter legal mediation with the father of her 2.5yo dd. They have lived apart for about a year, and share custody in an informal arrangement which needs to be formalized. She expects a power struggle. She knows that one issue he will raise is their nursing relationship. He thinks it should stop. He thinks their nursing is undermining his ability to parent his dd when they are alone, since she asks for milk and he can't provide it. He seems to think my friend is nursing just to have some upper hand in parenting.

Now, you and I know this is warped, and it's obvious that with all the changes the little girl is going through, taking her nursing away isn't going to be beneficial for anybody. But what my friend really needs is some hard evidence that supports nursing a preschooler that she can take with her in case the mediator/lawyer/judge agrees with the dad and says, "That child is old enough to stop. What's your problem, lady?"

Any links for me? I checked out the LLL site, but didn't really find anything.

TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 08:29 PM

"The Benefits of Breastfeeding Continue as Your Baby Grows Older"

a natural age of weaning

nursing a toddler

toddler breastfeeding

you're still nursing?

Breastfeed a Toddler - Why on Earth?

kelly's AP nursing after the first year

good luck and happy reading!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:08 PM

"UNICEF and the World Health Organization both advise breastfeeding to 'two years and beyond'. Indeed, a child's immune response does not reach its full strength until age 5 or so." Dr. Jack Newman, pediatrician, "How Breast Milk Protects Newborns" Scientific American, December 1995

http://www.promom.org/bf_info/sci_am.htm

I would call LLL headquarters and ask for help. There was a lawyer named Elizabeth Baldwin who specialized in this sort of thing but sadly she died recently. You might do a search for her name on the net though, and again, I would personally call headquarters.

Also do a search at these boards for "lawyer" because this may have come up before here.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50

User Tag List