HELP !!! 11mth old DD did not nurse in 18 hours !!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some advice desperately !!! My 11 month old DD is just recovering from a bad ear infection/sore throat. When she was feeling very bad in the last couple of days, she didn't eat a whole lot, but nursed very frequently. Yesterday, she finally started to feel a lot better (=no more crankiness, lots of playing etc.) and still nursed ok. But then...the last time I remember she nursed was sometime in the early morning hours and since then I tried, tried, tried but no luck. She bit me twice and other than that tried to get away from me at the sight of my nipple (but still cuddled, wanted to be held etc. otherwise). Could she be self-weaning so suddenly? She'd just cut her four upper teeth...but still? I'm very confused now, since she's not a big fan of sippy cups and the like, and feel she might not get enough fluids? How much does she need anyway? My ped always says to feed solids and nurse on cue and that she'll let me know if she's thirsty or hungry. But doesn't she need more than 5 oz. of fluids (that's about what she drank today on top of her 'solid' meals like applesauce, jarred veggies etc.).
Please help !!! I'm desperate 'cause she's right at the age where now I'm unsure about giving her milk or formula.

TIA, Alex :
#2 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 05:49 PM

This is a nursing strike.

LLL Link:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html

Meanwhile, pump or you will get overfull. Offer this milk by cup, chilled if necc. Or semi-freeze into a slushie.

Good luck. Most nursing strikes only last a few hours to a couple days.
#3 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 06:43 PM

i'd also suggest trying to nurse her when she's sleepy - even if you have to wake her up after she's been asleep for a few hours and slip an nipple in before she's all the way awak. i know lots of moms who have done this just once and it ended the strike. good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 08:20 PM

Good advice!

Another thing you can do is try to take a nice warm bath and see if she will nurse in the bath. If her ear is still hurting her, you can try to nurse her in an upright postion that won't put extra pressure on her ear.

Be patient, nursing strikes rarely last long, and let us know how things turn out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page