question about eliminating dairy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-02-2003, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To what extent do I need to eliminate it (dairy)? I mean, obviously I know not to eat any pure dairy product (i.e. milk, cheese, yogurt, butter), but what about when dairy is cooked into something? Or when the last ingredient of something is powdered skim milk? Will minescule amounts of dairy be a problem?

One baby is definitely having major abdominal issues, and they both have acne that's spread all down and around their neck and onto their chests. I've heard that can mean there's a dairy allergy going on. It's not surprising since both the sperm donor and I are lactose intolerant (although I became tolerant during pg).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-02-2003, 07:55 PM

When you need to cut out dairy, you should cut it out entirely for 2 full weeks. Cooking it makes no difference. No dairy in processed foods, not even a little. No whey, no casein or sodium caseinate. Read ingredient listings.

You may start to see improvments in a few days, or it may take the full 2 weeks. If there is no improvement, keep the dairy out, and eliminate another common allergen.

soy
wheat
nuts
eggs
citrus

Once you pinpoint the allergen(s), you can try to add a bit back in to see if you need to cut it out completely, or if a little will be tolerated. With the dairy, cheese and yogurt will be a little more likely to be tolerated than a big glass of milk or big bowl of ice cream.

This is not lactose intolerance. It is common for adults to be lactose intolerant (this is milk sugar) as adults are not meant to have milk. In babies, it is a dairy protein sensitivity.
#3 of 5 Old 04-02-2003, 08:13 PM

I agree with the advice that DaryLLL has given you and would simply add one additional caution. Because lactose intolerance in adults and children is not the same as the sensitivities that are so common in babies, you can not use the Lactose-free products on the market thinking it won't effect the babies. It will, as it is the protien in the milk that is causing the allergic reactions.

Most babies do out grow this intolerance and it is individual as to when.

Sending good thoughts and wishes to you as you figure out this whole diet thing. Enjoy those babies!
#4 of 5 Old 04-03-2003, 03:43 AM

One more caution: look out for fake "cheese," like soy or rice cheese, those often have casein added back in. Look for producs labeled "vegan."

As someone who's been here, here are a few things that helped me make it without dairy (which I LOVE):

avocado on sandwiches instead of cheese
nuts to snack on
carrot sticks with hummus
Tofutti Cuties (soy ice cream sandwiches)
Eart Balance butter substitute (even works well in baked goods)

Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 04-03-2003, 09:52 AM

I am dairy free too - for 4 weeks until we go back to the pediatric GI doctor for more tests. Our son has some blood in his stool and some eczema patches...poor lamb - although he is a very happy baby despite these issues!

Ditto what the others have said - you really need to be super cautious - many things that have no business containing dairy products do. Including those that even say "dairy free". It is frustrating at times...

Beware, too, of margarine. There are only a couple of truly dairy free margarines on the market.

Good luck with it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page