Zovirax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2003, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been suffering all winter from horrible fever blister outbreaks, I have tried everything. I did one 7-day stint of 200 mg Zovirax 5x/day, it took care of the very sick lips, but now the blisters are back in full force. Both the Pharmacist and my doc say that my new script of 400mgs 2x day is safe, but the inserts say no studies have been done on nursing moms.

Any advice? He wants me to take it INDEFINATELY until the virus has been supressed. I am currently nursing an active 13mo, who nurses at least 6x/day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2003, 01:56 PM

In Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk, zovirax (acyclovir) is listed in the safer category.

acyclovir is a drug that can be given to infants if they need an antiviral, the side effects are primarily gastrointestinal or a rash
there doesn't seem to be any info on more serious side effects

advice: do what you need to do, it's a relatively clean drug
Old 04-05-2003, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind . however i decided to forgo the anti-viral therapy, as this outbreak, without meds, seems to be following the same time schedule as when I took them, so I don't think it had much effect and I wasted $40 : and the new script is $99, way above what I can afford

I'm using calamine lotion, which seems to be controlling the "weeping", which is the most annoying aspect of these outbreaks.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:38 PM

Have you considered homeopathy? One of their theories is, a rash is an outer manifestation of your chi being off. If you suppress it, it can drive the imbalance inward, causing a deepr infection, say a sinus infection?

I have had good luck healing an infected spider bite and impetigo, with Rhus tox, which is made from poison ivy...
Old 04-05-2003, 03:43 PM

tea tree oil, though it stings, can help as well

eliminate peanut butter, caffeine, chocolate, corn, and most nuts (soy is ok) from your diet.

good luck,

mel
Old 04-05-2003, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried a homeopathic zinc ointment, but all it did was dry it out, and not as well as the calamine lotion. I've taken zinc lozenges, tried l-Lysine, tea tree oil, take my vitamins every day, and drink plenty of fluids, especially green tea. I've tried to cut down on my caffeine and sugar. I get plenty of sleep, albeit interupted by dd nursing a few times a night. I'm not even overly stressed.

The blisters have completely taken over my lips, they become swollen and red and within a couple of days get blistered all over and start weeping so bad it drips I can't go out anywhere, as they look so bad, and I can't kiss anyone This latest outbreak started less than a week after the last episode ended.

I think the next person I'm going to try is my chiropractor for some other nutritional ideas. I might be able to find a Naturopath in the area, but I'll have to ask around. I know something is up with my immune system, I just don't know what or how to deal with it. I've looked for natural remedies on the internet, but to no avail, in fact I haven't even found anything even close to matching my exagerated symptoms.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:56 PM

Oh sun, that's horrible! and good luck!

User Tag List