But if I eliminate all that, what's left?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2003, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so hungry I could eat a....oh wait...no I can't.....

After 2 weeks of ds bunching up and turning red and just screaming his little lungs out, I cut dairy out of my diet. We, thankfully, did notice an immediate improvement.
Okay--no milk. I can live with that. I actually prefer soymilk and my friend gave me a recipe for a soy cheesecake so I could get my junkfood fix.

We went to the store and bought soymilk. The next day I have some in my cereal and about 6oz to drink.
By the afternoon, DS is in agony.

Okay...no soy....
and other than occaisonally having fish or shellfish I don't eat meat...hmmm...

And then I started noticing that when I eat too much wheat, he gets really fussy--not in agony, but not happy. So I'm trying not to overdo that....the same with oatmeal, btw, only with a worse reaction from ds (at least from the coarse cut Irish oatmeal...).

And my stinkin' dh is trying to convince me that I can't live on marshmellow Peeps ()

DS is going on 1 month and nursing like a fiend (YAY!)....but I'm STARVING!!!! I want to absolutely pig out--but you can only eat so much rice and beans.

Please oh PLEASE tell me that someone out there has some suggestions for things that might be edible.

I'm definitely feeling the lack of a balanced diet, and between that and no sleep, I'm worried that I'll come down with a cold or something...

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2003, 12:39 PM

Keep up the fruits and veggies to ward off the nasties. The fiber will also help keep you feeling full.

Are nuts OK? Peanut butter and almond butter will give you fat and protein to satisfy your appetite, and whole nuts are great for snacking.

There are pastas and breads made from rice or quinoa at the health food store/Whole Foods; you could try those for your carbos. Quinoa and brown rice as whole grains are also very good. (White rice is basically wonder bread, not a whole lot of nutrition there).

There's also rice milk and almond milk. Just read the label to make sure they don't have soy in them. They are great as the base for smoothies; add fruit, esp. bananas for a rich creamy texture, a couple of ice cubes, and a spoonful of honey. Also put a tbsp. of flax oil in your smoothie to get some great omega-3s and help fill you up.

Eggs are also a great source of protein; if you can find those omega-3 eggs so much the better. A good source of omega-3s is great for your baby's developing brain (the nutrients will get into your milk). Try eggs cooked with veggies, like omelettes, frittata, etc.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 04-03-2003, 01:31 PM

First of all, it really could just be that he was having fussy times - at 1 month that is really typical...What seemed to irritate him one week may not irritate him anymore at 2 weeks. I think that food allergies can become overrated - and so in another 2 weeks I would re-introduce something back into your diet so that you are not eliminating stuff for nothing...

We are trying to figure out what is irritating our son (3 months) now. We have started with dairy - all dairy is eliminated from my diet to see if it "cures" him - he has bloody poops and some eczema patches. He is not fussy, though and is gaining weight well so it is odd....If the blood in his poops is not gone in 4 weeks we will eliminate wheat or soy...

Also keep in mind that it can take several weeks for you to see results - so while dairy may be the culprit it could take a few weeks of being totally dairy free before you see consistent results.

As for food ideas, I recommend rice milk (Rice Dream is pretty good in cereal!). We were cautioned by a nutritionist to be weary of soy and nut milks because they have been known to contain cross contamination or even contain trace amounts of milk proteins. Of course fruits and veggies. Also, try cheese-free pizza - just get a crust, put sauce on it (watch ingredients as some sauces contain cheese) and load it up with your favorite veggies - I like mushrooms and black olives. And, I am not missing the cheese on it, much to my surprise!!

Good luck...
Old 04-03-2003, 01:38 PM

Feeding the Whole Family is a cookbook full of great ideas for recipes for people like you and your baby.

Or Whole Foods for the Whole Family.

Both here:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_sto...d=3707989_5301

Your local LLL group probably has them in their lending library.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:44 PM

There are some great cookbooks by Bette Hagman in the "Gluten Free Gourmet" series. She cooks with alternative flours such as rice, potato and others. These are available in health food stores and by mail order. These cookbooks also contain a bit of info about dairy and soy substitutes. There are "milks" made out almond or rice for baking.

Wheat free baking mixes are available from the Gluten Free Pantry in Connecticut http://www.glutenfree.com
and EnerG Foods in Seattle WA.

Indian cookbooks might be good for soy/dairy/wheat free recipes.
Other Asian cookbooks might have some recipes.....they will have lots of wheat and dairy free recipes, but many recipes might contain soy sauce (maybe not all though, try the library or searching on the web......there are so many cooking websites for every ethnic group and for allergy cooking!)

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 04-03-2003, 08:42 PM

I'm no expert and I don't even play one on tv, but I think food allergies in relation to breastfeeding are, well, maybe not that big a deal. I can see the milk thing being problematic since we probably aren't meant to drink it in the first place...but other stuff? I don't know.

My son is very cranky in the late afternoon/early evening. No matter what I have or haven't had to eat or drink. It just so happens my labor kicked in around 4:30 and he was born two hours later...and that's exactly when he's usually freaking out unless he's attached to me. (He has to be sucking on me at that time...I don't even think he's actually eating much, either.)

Could it be that eliminating one thing from your diet makes the next thing seem more abundant? If you do all things in moderation and then slowly eliminate one thing at a time, soon a couple of things are abundant and there is no more moderation, kwim?

If you cut things out and notice improvement, good! But if you're hungry, not so good. Someone suggested an Indian cookbook. Don't they use mad spices in Indian food? How does that work? :

Good luck...and congratulations on your new little one!
Old 04-03-2003, 09:09 PM

I've been having modified dietary issues (though no dairy too) and here are a few ideas:

* sweet potatoes in any form--baked is AWESOME

* organic fake "butter"--nonhydrogenated canola/olive oil "butter" that you can find at health food stores and sometimes regular grocery stores. it tastes wonderful and has really helped me struggle through the no dairy change.

* in my coffee only--Coffeemate nondairy chemical crap. Yes, it's awful, but I cannot tolerate soymilk or almond milk or hazelnut milk or rice milk or ANY of it for my coffee, so I eat chemicals. it's made a bg difference for me in terms of morning coffee and my trolerance for this no dairy thing...

* polenta--cornmeal in a large sausage-like roll. You can stir fry it or just fry it and pour on maple syrup--yum...

* veggie booty--there's nothing in there that should conflict with your baby's allergies, but double check--I know it's ok for us on the no dairy aspect.

* spelt/kamut/quinoa--all grains that you can get at a health food store, and at Trader Joes they make/sell cereals from these grains that are quite good.

Good luck,

Mel
Old 04-03-2003, 09:32 PM

I was right there with ya a few years ago. If you switch to rice milk, get the enriched kind to make up the calcium and vitamin D. My favorite was Rice Dream Vanilla Enriched.

Remember (not to bum you out) that it's the milk protiens that babies are sensitive to -- so watch labels for cassein and whey, too. They sneak them into crackers and all kinds of things.

Rice is always good, fixed a million different ways. Lots of veggies. Beans might not be great. I ate lots of almonds, veggies, non-acidic fruits (no pineapple, kiwi, oranges). I remember binging on some kind of oat-based peanut butter cereal (found at the health food store) with rice milk, and carob clusters. I also liked barley soup, rice noodles fixed with all kinds of fancy sauces, hummus, and frozen fruit juice bars. I'm sure there was more, but I can't remember right now. Oh, and homemade crackers, made with sunflower seeds, non-wheat flour, oats, garlic salt, etc.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:29 AM

Mmmmmm.....all these food suggestions are making me hungry-if you need a treat-you can always dive into a pint of Rice Dream (kinda like ice cream but made with rice milk) or a Rice Dream bar (with carob-Mmmmmm)
You can also make snacks with almond butter, carob chips and dried cherries rolled in coconut (as you can see-I have a very guilty sweet tooth)

Give yourself a hug for taking such good care of your baby by continuing to nurse. :bf

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

Old 04-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

"I can see the milk thing being problematic since we probably aren't meant to drink it in the first place...but other stuff? I don't know."
---------------------------------------------------------

I was just wondering what you meant by saying this?! Why aren't we supposed to drink milk? Just wondering.

Thanks for your reply!!
Chelsi
Old 04-04-2003, 12:39 PM

I think chellemarie probably meant that humans are supposed to drink human breastmilk, not cow breastmilk. We're the only species that a) continues to drink milk after weaning and b) takes breastmilk from another species (and takes cow babies away from their mommies so we can eat them).

Full disclosure, I'm not vegan yet, but I should be.....just too weak.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 04-04-2003, 12:52 PM

Quote:
newmommyinnov "I can see the milk thing being problematic since we probably aren't meant to drink it in the first place...
---------------------------------------------------------

Why aren't we supposed to drink milk? Just wondering...
In this link right here at Mothering, the author found links between high dairy consumption and bone breaks/osteoporosis, reproductive cancers, heart disease, and diabetes (up to 35 times more diabetes in the USA than in non-dairy-eating nations.)
The article says that the US government continues "to raise the RDA for calcium to amazingly high levels"...." based upon education from the dairy industry."
http://mothering.com/experts/palmer-archive.shtml
(scroll down to "Is Cow's Milk Necessary for My Toddler?")

"Rebuilding the Food Pyramid," Scientific American, Jan. 2003, Willett and Stamfer........is an article that makes many of the same claims adding "we cannot assume that high dairy consumption is safe."

Dr. Frank Oski, the late pediatrician who was head of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University, wrote a book about the possible health risks of dairy consumption called "Don't Drink Your Milk."

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 04-04-2003, 12:59 PM

quote from chellemarie
Quote:
If you cut things out and notice improvement, good! But if you're hungry, not so good. Someone suggested an Indian cookbook. Don't they use mad spices in Indian food? How does that work?
That's the maddening thing about fussy babies.....each baby is an individual and what bothers one may not bother another and vice versa. Tons of babies throughout the world enjoy the flavor of their mom's milk when mom eats the spicey foods that are the norm in their culture. Other babies would not like the spicy foods. Some babies tolerate cow's milk in mom's diet fine, but many don't. It is a maddening game trying to figure it out, when it can take weeks to get dairy out of our systems......or maybe the baby or child outgrows the fussiness.......we sometimes have to play detective either as moms or for our food-sensitive selves.

It's enough to make me

Old 04-04-2003, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

You are all so super!!

I can't wait to take a look at those cookbooks
I did notice that the Moosewood Cooks at Home book has a list of which recipes are vegan (like the yummy 6-minute chocolate cake!), but most of those use soy.

I guess I should have mentioned that food allergies run rampant in my family. A bit before I turned 2, my body decided to rebel against food and I had to go on formula as every single solid was slowly re-introduced. I ended up having to have formula as a supplement until I was 5....
I nursed ds1 almost to his 2nd bday and during that time tried my best to introduce food SLOWLY. So far he doesn't show sign of any allergies or sensitivities (YAY!), but I also didn't have to eliminate anything from my diet when he was nursing.

Since this little guy is already showing signs of some sesitivities (the soy was the most obvious, unfortunately), I guess I'm being overly-watchful now. I really don't want him to have to go through all the grief I did as a kid, ykwim?

okay...my alloted keyboard time is apparently up

Keep the suggestions coming!!! I didn't even know rice dream made frozen stuff!!!

Lauren

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Old 04-04-2003, 01:42 PM

You have some great suggestions here and I didn't have time to read them all, but having been in your spot more than once I thought I'd give you some eating suggestions that helped me....

Try rice pasta, they sell it here in the "natural" section of the grocery stores. Don't over cook it and you won't know the difference.

Eat lots of fruit and make fruit smoothies with fruit juice and fresh fruit. Experiment, the more exiotic the more you will feel like it is a special treat!

Steam or stir fry your veggies and serve them over baked potatoes, rice or rice pasta.

Splurge and have Rice dream frozen desert! It is the best but very rich so watch you don't over do it and get sick like I did!

Try some of the rice milk on cereals that don't contain wheat. There are also some nice cheese subsitutes made from rice, and the mozzerella style is good melted.

Look for bread that doesn't contain wheat in the whole food stores and sections of the grocery. Ours carries it in the frozen section.

Good luck and happy eatting! Remember it won't last forever and a happy baby is worth it!
Old 04-04-2003, 07:48 PM

Just had to jump in here on the spices thing. I was very wary of spices after DD was born, mostly b/c I don't like spicy food.

Then I started working for an Indian family as their nanny, and they made all sorts of spicy dishes and I ate them, DD LOVED IT!!!! It was about the same time she was really getting into eating solids, so she ate their food, I was so afraid of tummy aches for her. But nothing happened.

Even though I had never had Indian food, DD instantly loved it, so don't worry too much. Try it and see, you never know

User Tag List