EBM - The right amount? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2003, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been freezing 3 & 4oz bags of milk and that's about the max I can get at one pumping session (of about ten minutes...double pumping). I usually get about three.

DS is two months tomorrow. Is this enough for a bottle when I'm away? I return to work on the 14th. Is 3-4 ounces about right for his age?

He's such a chunk, I can hardly believe he's not sneaking to the kitchen at night for steak and potatoes. That four ounces doesn't look like much. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2003, 05:49 PM

I would think that's plenty. I went back to work when my first was around 2 months old and he did fine with the bottles of 3-4 oz that I expressed.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:06 PM

I've heard allow 2-3 oz per pound of bodyweight per day. Then divide this by the number of feedings per day. Go by his weight, not his age. Hey, I also usually pump 3 oz (double pumping), 4 sometimes in the mornings and my dd is also 2 mo. I don't know what is typical. I always thought I wasn't pumping much. I'm actually pumping and giving dd the milk in a bottle, she's 9lb 3oz now. She usually has 2-3oz per feed. But she has a small appetite and it's a trial to get her to drink much at a time. 3-4 oz sounds good to me unless he's enormous
Old 04-04-2003, 06:38 PM

I would also make some smaller bags (1-2oz) so that if he is still hungry, your sitter can get him more without wasting a whole 4 oz. You might also keep a journal between the two of you as to what he's been up to during the day. I kept a small notebook in the diaper bag and asked her to write down the time and the oz (roughly, of couse) and also naps. It's helpful when you get a tired cranky baby home to know what went on during the day.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:53 PM

You don't say how long you will be away. 8-10 hours? or just a few hours, where he just misses one feed? If you are gone 8-10 hours, and he would've fed 3 times, 3 oz, in that time, you would need that much. Or, OTOH, he may sleep a little more when you are away, and nurse more when you come home.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm blessed with a dcp who nursed all 7 of her kids. She even wore the youngest (I'm going to buy a sling for her if she'll wear ds).

Anyway...enough gushing.

I won't know how much ds weighs until Friday. But I know I have to have enough frozen to get us through a week.

Right now he wakes and nurses three times between 6am-12pm. (roughly...varies since I'm not "scheduling" him) He naps 11am/noon til 2:00 or 3pm. Nurses twice before 6pm and then wants to nurse constantly from then until he sleeps 7or8-midnight or 2am.

I'll nurse him in the morning when he wakes (which I'll have to wake him for at first at 5am), shower, pump & eat and then nurse him again until we get in the car at 7:45. I'll be at daycare to nurse him on my lunch hour around 11:30. So that's at least one feeding in the morning. Maybe another in the afternoon before daddy gets him at 3:30 and then one more before I'm home at 6.

My plan is to pump in the morning, at 2pm while at work, and again after ds goes to bed...usually around 10. I'll have to pump on Saturday and Sunday on the same schedule to make up for not pumping a fourth time if he sometimes needs that fourth bottle.

Right now he's sometimes skipping that middle of the night feeding. I'm hoping he'll flip his schedule around on his own and maybe need one in the night rather than during the day.

Ugh. This sounded and felt so daunting until my aunt asked me this weekend if I was going to wean him before going to work and when he was going to get formula. I told her I don't want to give him formula and now I'm competing with myself. LOL There's nothing quite like outside motivation, is there?
Old 04-07-2003, 12:11 PM

Have you read Nursing Mother, Working Mother? It will help you figure a lot of this out, I bet.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yep. I ordered it when you rec'd it. (cute smilie lol)

That's where I got the schedule of pumping/nursing from...I'm just wondering if that's enough. And I like feedback. I'm a Libra. I can't tie my shoes by myself. Unless I make a party out of it.

User Tag List