Women Sue Wal-Mart Over Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/livin...ywoman_54.html

Found this interesting and wanted to share.
#2 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 06:33 PM

“I and my 25 other women friends think that would be terrible,” wrote one woman. “A naked breast is a naked breast, whether feeding a baby or not. Too many women do that just to be exhibitionists. No. Nursing in public should not be allowed.”

“Women who choose to breastfeed should be treated as people who choose to smoke and put in a designated area,” wrote another.

that is a quote from the article.... I just don't understand that mentality at all!!!!

NO, an naked breast is not JUST a naked breast!!! that makes me so angry that WOMEN can be that mean and rude about other wonen

I hope these women get the policy changed and win lots and lots of money from walmart, makes me want to have a nurse in at our walmart (but I've never had any problem with them, and WA state law says I can nurse anywhere in public I want to!)

Heck, it makes me want to bare my entire breast the next time I feed, and never nurse in a "designated" place again.......
#3 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 06:46 PM

well, gosh, don't y'all just love exposing your stomach rolls and stretch marks and oversized nipples in public? i know i do. : how did these people guess that i was only nursing my daughter so i could be eye candy for the world?
#4 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 06:50 PM

:LOL

Yep, that's right....I just want everyone to see my post preggo body : I'm so big and beautiful, men are just lining up for me...yeah right!

The ONLY reason I wear nursing shirts sometimes is b/c of the fat roll issue, and when it's cold outside and I don't want to freeze to death
#5 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 06:56 PM

I know this is not just Ohio, but sometimes NE Ohio just drive me insane with its conservativeness. Grrrr. Thanks to MDC I have met some very nice mommas, but too many other people in the area are racist and close minded.
#6 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 06:57 PM

"the fat roll issue" :LOL now THAT'S an issue we can all unite on!
i have seriously considered getting a leotard and cutting boob holes out of it so my stomach will stay contained when nursing in public! what a bizarre little garment that would be! hmmmm. you know, i think i saw something like that in the Fredericks of Hollywood catalog.
#7 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 07:19 PM

They wouldnt develop pictures??!! WTF??!!
Very, very sad.
#8 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 07:59 PM

OMG! I think I've lived a sheltered life. I can believe some people are so narrow minded, I can't quite believe that they have the nerve to interfere, and communicate that narrow mindedness to strangers. I can feel myself turning into a militant breast baring mother after reading that.
#9 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Banned

Just another one of several thousand reasons to stay out of any Wal-mart!!!
#10 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Too many women do that just to be exhibitionists.
oh darn it! they're on to me!
That's exactly why I am having a baby, just to have an excuse to be an 'exhibitionist'.

:LOL
#11 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 09:15 PM

bloodrayne -- :LOL :LOL :LOL

i swear half of georgia saw my bare ass when i was in labor. oh well, right?
#12 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 09:36 PM

“A naked breast is a naked breast, whether feeding a baby or not."

Well, yeah. So what? It's just skin. I can't understand why people get so hung up over this.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#13 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah. So what? It's just skin. I can't understand why people get so hung up over this.
I've always said, it's only dirty if YOU make it dirty.
#14 of 20 Old 04-05-2003, 09:00 AM
Banned

I'm embarrassed to say this, but my own mother was a L&D nurse in the 60's and says she was disgusted seeing the new mothers nurse their babies because she "knew" they just wanted to show off their breasts.

Ah hem, yes, I've had a lot of therapy.
#15 of 20 Old 04-05-2003, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Americans have a problem with thinking that breasts are suppose to be sexual objects. I mean there really is an obsession in our culture. I think this is why we breast feed our babies less. I also believe that the breast obsession comes from more than cultural conditioning. I believe that most of us were weaned prematurly or not put to feed at the breast at all leading to a breast obsession. It is ingrained in each of us through thousands of years of evolution to need that comfort, closness, and perfect food. In most other cultures breast is seen as food for babies. A women is never looked at funny or shunned by her peers. She is given support and lot's of it!

I think bf'ng is the most important thing I will ever do in my life and it is something no one else can do. I was raised with bf'ng in my family by my mother and aunts, so when I see a women feeding her child at the breast I just think it is natural. It is what nature intended and expected and I'm happy to see that mother listening to her inner-voice and doing what her ancestry tells her to do. Thanks Mom, Grandma, Great-Grandma and all my ancesters before them!

When I see a women put a baby bottle to her childs lips I think Poor baby and Mama. What concequences will come to the mother and babe's emotional, and physical health as a result?How could our culture and society let you both down like that? But I have hope and faith! If more women start to bf there babies, and the statistics say it is happening, then more of the next generation will also. Children are most likly to parent the way there parents modeled parenting. Eventually, it will be as it was, and how it is meant to be.

Breast is food. It is not sexual and our society will feel that and respond to it in that way.

This is just my own humble opinion.
#16 of 20 Old 04-05-2003, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mama_kass
When I see a women put a baby bottle to her childs lips I think Poor baby and Mama. What concequences will come to the mother and babe's emotional, and physical health as a result?How could our culture and society let you both down like that?
You said that so well, and very non-judgmental. I think you have the right mentality, so often we hear about how bad ffing moms are, how they must not love their children like us bfing moms do. But in reality they just weren't told it was good to nurse, and ok to feel good about it. They probably weren't given the support and information to bf.

I have been quilty of being judgmental towards these women too, you gave me another perspective. Thanks
#17 of 20 Old 04-05-2003, 02:28 PM

Quote:
i have seriously considered getting a leotard and cutting boob holes out of it so my stomach will stay contained when nursing in public! what a bizarre little garment that would be! hmmmm. you know, i think i saw something like that in the Fredericks of Hollywood catalog.
You're one funny woman, shoshanna's mom.:LOL
#18 of 20 Old 04-05-2003, 02:34 PM

why thank you!
can't you just see me becoming a WAHM with that as my product?
#19 of 20 Old 04-05-2003, 02:42 PM

Yet another reminder of why I moved from Ohio to Massachusetts...
#20 of 20 Old 04-05-2003, 11:29 PM

It's funny -- WalMart is one of our normal places to shop and nurse. Last week, we nursed in the sling pacing up and down the tool section. This week, we nursed on one of the little benches where you try on shoes.

We love to nurse at WalMart!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page