When to start water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2006, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 7 month old DS is showing lots of interest in water.

He currently gets a single serving of solids a day (and tries to steal whatever I'm eating.) I also give him the usual vitamin drop. He is otherwise BF.

When I drink water he gets very excited and tries to take it. If I give him something cold for teething he first licks off the condensation. I gave him some play cups in the bath to pour the water with and he scooped up water put the cup to his mouth and started to drink (don't worry I took it away and don't give them to him anymore.)

I don't know if I should let him have a regular cup with water in it or give him EBM in a sippy cup or what?

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 07:07 PM

I think he sounds ready to try some water. My daughter has been taking little sips from an open cup since she was really tiny. It's a fun sensory experience for the little ones.

And heck, even a little bathwater won't kill 'em!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 PM

I'd give him little sips of water in a sippy or regular cup. just make sure it is small amounts - it is a great way to help your baby learn how to drink from a cup - and you won't care about spills!

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
Old 09-26-2006, 02:43 AM

It sounds like he's ready to try some water! Will he sip or lap it out of a cup? That's how my DS had his first water. He liked to lap it out of whatever cup I was drinking from. You can try a sippy or a straw sippy, or just use regular cups with a straw, held carefully (of course) so he doesn't harpoon himself on it.

My six month old loves water. I mean he LOVES water. I taught him how to drink out of a straw a few weeks ago, and now I have to physically restrain him around any cups with straws.

I just try to keep his intake low -- no more than an ounce or so at a time, and no more than three ounces or so per day. Kellymom said something about water intoxication, so I'm cautious about allowing him to have as much as he wants.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:49 AM

It also depends on your location and weather. My DS requries quite a bit of water and did from a fairly young age (like 6 months) but it was midsummer in Fla and he was outside a lot as was I so we both ahd to fight to stay hydrated even with nursing, but during the winter when its moderate here and he wasn't losing as much, his water intake dropped off significantly and he could get what he needed from me. This summer, he'd often take 30+ oz. of water during a day but he'd spend 4-6 hours running nand playing outside. Right now, he gets about 15 oz. of liquids (and nursing if theres any milk still there) and thats enough, but he's mainly inside and the temp has cooled some
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM

Most sources say it's OK to introduce water at around 6 mos. You don't want to exceed 3 oz a day, until 12 mos or so, just to protect your milk supply. after that age, most toddlers love to bf so much, all the water in the world can't compare.

That said, all 3 of mine had sips starting at 3-4 mos.

Cup feeding of EBM is a good way for babies separated from their moms to get fed, without worrying about bottles and nipple confusion. Many moms don't think of a cup for pumped milk feeds.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List