weaned and wanting to nurse again, help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2003, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im not really sure how to start this off but i have a 2 and a half year old that nursed till he was 27 months. when we weaned there were no problems he never cried to nurse more and it really felt like things were going well for both of us. he has not nursed for 5 months but in the last few months, say 3, he has asked to nurse a few times and today he asked twice. when he asks it seems like a game more like lets see if mom will let me kind of thing. when i tell him that the milk is all gone he tries a little harder still not getting up set but just saying "try mama, nurse." i thought i would let him try so he would know that there really is no milk but now that he knows and is still asking i am not sure where this is going and dont want any problems to be created. i dont think he is doing it for comfort or attention, i think we do a great job of covering that. the only thing i can think of is we are going to have a baby in oct. but he did ask twice before we were even pregnant. i just want to know what to do and how to hanndle it the right way. i really dont want him to start nursing again but i dont want to hurt his feelings in any way. i dont know why he is doing this and i wish i could explain it to him better. help i really dont know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2003, 10:52 AM

This is perfectly normal behavior for a child! I've known children who asked to nurse again months or even one or two years after weaning (whether mom was pregnant again or not.) It is your choice if you want to offer to nurse again or not.

You know your child best.....but what I often find is that my children asked to nurse more often (or somehow "backtrack" or regress in many other ways) either from stress, illness, a change in the family (whther it has happened or is coming), or being about to hit a milestone. Even with a preteen I find regression (not asking to nurse, but talking baby talk for instance) in times like these.

The book "How Weaning Happens" might be just what you need 1) to know this is normal and 2) for compassionate ways of saying no if you choose.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 04-08-2003, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

thanks i'll check in to that book! i would really like to not start again and think he is fine not doing it but i just feel bad about telling him no.

User Tag List