Pumping Qs - Going Back to Work. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-07-2003, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I go back to work 2 weeks from today and plan to pump. I have a Medela PIS and use it primarily to relieve engorgement right now - but I have built up a respectable stash of frozen EBM. Max has had bottles of ebm - like 3 per week and does fine once he gets over his initial annoyance that it is not my boobie!

I have some questions about pumping at work.

1. To build up a supply of EBM, I am going to add one pumping session per day for the 2 weeks before I go - will this totally throw me into oversupply? When is the best time to do this?

2. About the pump parts, I expect to be pumping every 3 hours at work - so that will be 2-3 pumping sessions per day with a double pump. What is the best way to clean them between sessions? I lost the instructions booklet that came with the pump...And what about drying them? I usually air the horns out.

I think that is it for now. I am a little nervous about this - I tend to drip milk everywhere when I pump! Luckily we have a room at our office dedicated to pumping with the PIS already in there - I just have to bring my own parts!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-07-2003, 03:07 PM

I just rinse the parts out in soapy water each time and shake them out to get them dry. (I don't spend a lot of time drying them, cause I just don't have the time to spend.)

I don't know how many weeks Post partum you are. Supply depends on that. At first you release a hormone that determines bm supply. After a few months, it becomes a supply and demand thing.
Since you are talking about engorgement, I'll assume that you're not too many weeks pp. After a while engorgement isn't an issue anymore. I'd say go ahead and pump out as much as you can to get a freezer stash.

HTH,
Marcy
#3 of 3 Old 04-07-2003, 03:31 PM

You can order extra horns if you're worried about them not air drying fast enough between pumping sessions. That's probably what I'd do since I can't air dry them where I'll be pumping.

I'm pumping now at the same times I'll be pumping when I go back. Here's our schedule:

Wake and nurse (around 5-ish)
Shower and eat
Pump
Put on makeup while nursing til we get in the car (7:40am)
Go to babe on lunch break to nurse (around 11:30am)
Pump at work at 2:30pm
Home at 5:45pm Nurse
Nurse nurse nurse all evening (he likes this and I don't mind )
Baby to bed around 8pm
Pump at 10pm

Pumping three times during the day will probably leave me one feeding short for daycare...but if I pump all three times on Sat & Sun, I'll have enough to cover for the week.

I wouldn't worry about oversupply as long as you're not pumping WAY over what baby eats in a day. One or two to get ahead shouldn't cause a problem, imo.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page