Another mastitis question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had it four times, so I should be a pro by now, but for some reason I am really worried about having an abscess this time.

I developed the dreaded thing Sunday night around 11:30pm . . . today I'm finally feeling good again, but I still have a lump in the infected breast. When should I expect that to be gone? The idea of an abscess scares the heck out of me.

I know hot compresses and massaging . . . anything else I can do to get rid of it before it becomes an abscess?

Scared here. Hopefully irrationally so.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#2 of 6 Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Is your fever down? Is it still sore? I had it 3 times in 4 weeks when ds was 2 months old. I too was worried about that. I found that after my symptoms cleared up there usually was a bit of a lump there for a few days after. I think the duct was just swolen or something.

On a different note...
Have you figured out what is causing your mastitis? My LLL told me when I kept getting it that if you don't figure out the trigger it is very likely that you'll just keep getting it. I had an over supply and I believe very sticky milk. What helped me (and may help you?) was to take a supplement of lecithin. I'll tell you what...that was a miracle supplement for me! Never had mastitis again. I plan on stocking my cabinet with it before this baby arrives!

Good luck to you...
Mastitis sucks. I'm sure/hope it isn't an absess. That is a scary thought.

Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#3 of 6 Old 09-27-2006, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I second that on finding out what is causing or at least contributing to the recurring mastitis.

Another idea beyond the heat & massage is to vary your child's nurisng positions, and when you do get a plug, aim their chin in the direction of the plug. So if the plug was at 9 o'clock, nurse your babe w/ his/her chin pointing to 9 o'clock.

Good luck!
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 6 Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 PM

I used homeopathy which worked great for me, also vit c and echinacea, My trigger was cold boobs (and over supply)

good luck
#5 of 6 Old 09-28-2006, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas.

I had my first bout when my daughter was 10 months old . . . no idea about that one.

The second, when my son was about a month -- a common timeframe but also no idea why. The third, we had just arrived home from a road trip -- I'm certain he nursed less and slept more, and that was the cause. This time, we'd just be on vacation where he was nursing a LOT, and when we got home, he went back to normal . . . so again, a change in feeding patterns.

The ironic thing is that this time, the same day I came down with it, so did a local friend and eight of our neighbors goats . . . weird, but unrelated.

I am hopeful that it's not an abscess as it doesn't hurt anymore and feels softer and smaller.

I'll definitely look into the suggestions you made, though . . . anything to keep it away for good!!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#6 of 6 Old 09-29-2006, 10:16 PM

It took mine 24 to 48 hours to clear up after much pain, and lots of massage in the shower.

A.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page