Mothering Forum banner

How much Fenugreek do you take?

865 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  organicbanana 
#1 ·
I see on the label that 2 pills make one serving. How many servings can you take a day?
P.S.- I hate smelling like maple syrup!

#2 ·
I've read you need to take at LEAST 6g daily for it to be effective. The German medical association recommended this amount (Dr's there actually precribe herbs!) My LC recommended taking 15 caps a day (ie. 5 caps x 3 times a day). Took a couple of days for it to work on me. I don't think I smell like maple syrup, more like curry powder

#3 ·
I dont use fenugreek. I'd read that you shouldn't if you have high blood pressure histories in the family. The health food store lady and I were discussing it and she went to look it up in her book. Her book says NOT to use fenugreek while pg or nursing. I use Blessed Thistle instead. I don't think it makes me smell differently...but I do burp "herby" for an hour after taking it. It's all her daughter uses, as well.

I started gung-ho taking two pills three times a day. That was too much for ds to get used to all at once. Now I'm starting with one pill in the morning and working up to one three times a day and then two three times a day eventually, to see if that works better.

#7 ·
I took 4g per day which worked great for a few days and then I seemed to reach some sort of saturation point and became dehydrated, headachey and less milk than before despite forcing about 3.5-4 L of water per day. My western doctor didn't pick up on the connection, my homeopath did and recommed I cut back immediately. I now take 1.5 g per day with rasberry leaf and all the symptoms went away and my milk came back (for the second time) once I dropped back to this dose. So my experience is that it works but an overdose is nasty and counter productive. Also you must not take it if you are unable to take asprin or having surgery as it is a powerful blood thinner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.