How much Fenugreek do you take? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-07-2003, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see on the label that 2 pills make one serving. How many servings can you take a day?
P.S.- I hate smelling like maple syrup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-07-2003, 03:29 PM

I've read you need to take at LEAST 6g daily for it to be effective. The German medical association recommended this amount (Dr's there actually precribe herbs!) My LC recommended taking 15 caps a day (ie. 5 caps x 3 times a day). Took a couple of days for it to work on me. I don't think I smell like maple syrup, more like curry powder
#3 of 10 Old 04-07-2003, 03:43 PM

I dont use fenugreek. I'd read that you shouldn't if you have high blood pressure histories in the family. The health food store lady and I were discussing it and she went to look it up in her book. Her book says NOT to use fenugreek while pg or nursing. I use Blessed Thistle instead. I don't think it makes me smell differently...but I do burp "herby" for an hour after taking it. It's all her daughter uses, as well.

I started gung-ho taking two pills three times a day. That was too much for ds to get used to all at once. Now I'm starting with one pill in the morning and working up to one three times a day and then two three times a day eventually, to see if that works better.
#4 of 10 Old 04-08-2003, 12:55 PM

Of course you can take fenugreek while nursing! It has been used for untold centuries. A lot of those warnings are just CYO for corps.

True, you don't want to take it while pg, it can cause contractions. You can use it during a slow labor to speed things up.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/fenugreek.html
#5 of 10 Old 04-08-2003, 01:33 PM

I took 2 capsules of fenugreek and 2 of blessed thistle (NOT milk thistle) twice a day. I noticed an increased in about 2 days.
#6 of 10 Old 04-08-2003, 01:42 PM

i remember taking 8 a day.

good luck!
#7 of 10 Old 04-09-2003, 10:46 AM

I took 4g per day which worked great for a few days and then I seemed to reach some sort of saturation point and became dehydrated, headachey and less milk than before despite forcing about 3.5-4 L of water per day. My western doctor didn't pick up on the connection, my homeopath did and recommed I cut back immediately. I now take 1.5 g per day with rasberry leaf and all the symptoms went away and my milk came back (for the second time) once I dropped back to this dose. So my experience is that it works but an overdose is nasty and counter productive. Also you must not take it if you are unable to take asprin or having surgery as it is a powerful blood thinner.
#8 of 10 Old 04-10-2003, 03:50 PM

Interesting talk about fenugreek. I'd been told to drink fennel tea to help with my dd's gas. It increased my milk supply (I can feel the letdown more often). Anyone else use fennel tea?
#9 of 10 Old 04-11-2003, 01:39 PM

#10 of 10 Old 04-22-2003, 02:35 PM

what a great link! thx darylll!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page