TTC and BF - how does it work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2003, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 8 months old, still BF :bf with feeding solids once per day. He is still feeding at night 2-3 times.
We would like to start for #2 within the next few months. I have yet to have a period.
Can I still conceive? Am I still ovulating and how would I know?

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2003, 03:08 AM

It is possible to ovulate before you get a period. If you have thick mucus discharge (kinda like clear snot) that can be stretched, that is a sign of fertility.

You may want to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and other things on Natural Family Planning to get an idea of how to read your body's signs.

Good luck! I've gotten pregnant twice while nursing.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:21 AM

I love TCOYF; it's a great book. There's also software associated w/ the book to help you chart. You might want to check out the website: www.ovusoft.com . DH and I have used NFP for both TTC and TTA. We will be TTC#2 in a few months, so I'm hoping for an eggie too. Good luck and HTH.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:17 PM

It's kind of funny. I am not sure if this is a first time mom thing, or an older mom thing (I had my first at 30), but I went thru it too. As soon as my 1st dd turned 1 yo, I wanted to get pg again. I got my period back on her birthday! It took me 8 mos to get pg with #1. It took me 6 mos to get pg with #2. Well, I was not happy with how long it took me to conceive each time, but I am so grateful Mother Nature was looking out for me! #2 was/ is so spirited, I was in hindsight grateful I had the longer gap (27 mos) between the 2, than only 21 mos if I'd gotten pg again right away.

I nursed her more at night and didn't get my cycle back again until 18 mos pp. But we waited a while to ttc. She was all we could handle! Next time, we got pg on the first try, we weren't charting or really planning, b/c we figured it would take mos again, but we were in no hurry! Ironically, we got pg right away! Still this time we had a 40 month gap (3 yrs, 4 mos), and it was kinda hairy, but much better than the 27 mo gap.

JMO, but I think it is better not to rush things.

BTW, in cultures where the only bc is EBF, there is an average of 2 yrs between siblings. No thermometers there either. It is unusal, but not unheard of, to ovulate before your first period. 95% of the time, you get an anovulatory period first.

Also BTW, I nursed #3 even more at night and did not get my cycle back until fully 2 yrs pp!

User Tag List