Any flat chested breastfeeding moms out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or am I the only one? Though I seem to have no problems with milk supply, I sometimes get stares in the chest area followed by "you breastfeed?" It's also been suggested to me that my baby (who is growing like a weed) is hungry and I should start solids. I also hate the way there is NO decent nursing bra out there for me- I'm BARELY an A cup. Frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 01:32 PM

Mama that's horrible!! Do your best to just avoid people who are that ignorant. ( I'm not "flat chested" but I will say this- it doesn't matter how small or big or in-the-middle you are, you will always have your ability to completely breastfeed your baby questioned because people in our society do not understand/refuse to accept the dynamics of breastfeeding. )
#3 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

I am barely a size a too and can say that it doesn't matter. Both my dc, now 7 and 12, grew quite nicely off ebf'ing. As for nursing bras, yep- next to impossible to find good ones for small-chested mama's (hint hint you wahms out there ) so I just went with sports bras. Don't let ppl put doubt in your head. If your dc is growing, filling the diaper and seems happy and content after eating, I wouldn't worry
#4 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 02:52 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
But still nursing my 33 month old DD

I LOVE the Blue Canoe cross-over bra for nursing. Minimal support, easy access - I couldn't live without them: http://www.bluecanoe.com/e-store/pro...=3111818355447
#5 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
As for nursing bras, yep- next to impossible to find good ones for small-chested mama's (hint hint you wahms out there )
:

While I have made a few smaller bras, the majority of my custom bras are in the large band/cup range. I will have to work on a few A-cups for the smaller gals.

Stef - mommy to Matthew and Katrina, wife to Dave; seamstress, bra-maker, and resident bra expert.  Find your proper bra size.
#6 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
DBZ

I'm overly endowed and I have the same issues LOL. I justed wanted to add that I learned in my LLL that your milk glands can be in your underarm area and even extend a little onto your back. I just wanted to throw that out there in case someone didn't know.

Kara

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#7 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 PM

Hello from another small-breasted breastfeeder! I guess that's partly why I found bf'ing my DS and DD so empowering, because my boobs never meant very much to me previously. They were never a source of pride, so to speak. Well that all changed when I decided to nurse my babes -- and what a wonderful revelation. But I know what you mean about bras. I do have one that fits, but I mostly wear tank tops under my shirts. I find they give the bit of support and coverage that I want, and are still easy to pull up for baby to nurse.
#8 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skana View Post
I guess that's partly why I found bf'ing my DS and DD so empowering, because my boobs never meant very much to me previously. They were never a source of pride, so to speak. Well that all changed when I decided to nurse my babes -- and what a wonderful revelation.
ITA!
#9 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 11:10 AM

Count me in! I'm a teensy-weensy AA (now proudly an A while nursing). These girls are small but mighty. Both my kids are giants and EBF for a long time. Yay me! ITA with the PP who said BF has been empowering. Previously my breasts have been of very little use to me. Now they're awesome.

BTW, the only nursing bra I've found (and I do have to wear one; I'm a major leaker and need something to hold the nursing pads) that works for me is Bravado.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#10 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 11:17 AM

I was barely a B at the end of my pregnancy and I had people telling me I wouldn't make enough milk- well I actually made too much milk I had oversupply for the first 2 months. Just goes to show them...

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#11 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skana View Post
Hello from another small-breasted breastfeeder! I guess that's partly why I found bf'ing my DS and DD so empowering, because my boobs never meant very much to me previously. They were never a source of pride, so to speak. Well that all changed when I decided to nurse my babes -- and what a wonderful revelation. But I know what you mean about bras. I do have one that fits, but I mostly wear tank tops under my shirts. I find they give the bit of support and coverage that I want, and are still easy to pull up for baby to nurse.
: Before breastfeeding I was an A, if that. After a short lived D cup during engorgment my breasts have settled into a nice B cup. I used to hate my breasts, but now I love how powerful they make me feel.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#12 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillake View Post
Before breastfeeding I was an A, if that. After a short lived D cup during engorgment my breasts have settled into a nice B cup. I used to hate my breasts, but now I love how powerful they make me feel.
I never got to be a D cup!!!!! So jealous!!! (Or maybe I shouldn't be jealous b/c that actually sounds kinda painful...) But anyway I was an A before I was pregnant, now that I'm BFing I'm a B.

Single mom of 2 boys
#13 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 04:50 PM

I was barely an A prepregnancy and nursed my DS a year and now am nursing 15 mo old twins!!!

I, too, was worried about supply before my son was born (even though I read that size has nothing to do with production -- years of insecurity about being flat chested seeped into everything, I guess) and we had no problems at all. When I found out I was pregnant with twins, so many people assumed that meant you had to bottle feed. But we've been going strong as well from Day 1. One nurse at the hospital said to me "You have the PERFECT sized breasts for nursing twins." I hope she says that to all the mamas, because it gave me so much confidence. :

AS for bras -- I found wearing a tank top with a built in shelf bra provides enough support. It makes for easy access for two, too
#14 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
I never got to be a D cup!!!!! So jealous!!! (Or maybe I shouldn't be jealous b/c that actually sounds kinda painful...) But anyway I was an A before I was pregnant, now that I'm BFing I'm a B.
Careful what you wish for! I was a very small B prior to BFing and now I'm overflowing a D cup and I HATE it!! A big chest just gets in the way.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#15 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

sure, i could get a "sports bra" type nursing bra, or i could wear a tank, but i DON'T WANNA!!! call me picky, but i would LOVE a nursing bra made for the near boobless with underwire and padding... everything my normal bras are, but with a flap in the front. is this so much to ask for? the fact that i have yet to find a single A cup nursing bra of normal (not sport bra) design just further makes me feel like some sort of malformed oddity.

not too sound too much like a whiner (which i admit, i probably am) or like im overly insecure cause i do have plenty of other great features... im skinny and have a nice enough rear, a pretty face, and good hair. ok, i will soon be skinny again when i lose all the baby weight, and my face is slightly broken out at the moment probably due to neglect... but the point is i don't want to give anyone the impression my self image is low... i just wish i had more boobs! or at LEAST a decent nursing bra!
#16 of 35 Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 PM
WNB

Smallish here too. I stopped wearing bras a few years ago after I realized they were expensive and silly, since I didn't need the support (and still don't, even after the moderate increase in size from the baby). I now refer to them as nipple obscurers and tend to prefer camisoles to do the job Baby is growing just fine and supply seems to be fine. Haven't gotten any oafish comments like you, thankfully -- I can't imagine how I'd respond.
#17 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Oh no, don't be jealous. I had no stretch markls on my boobs until engorgment, then they were covered. And it hurt like fire. Ouch!

http://images1.snapfish.com/347%3C%3...%3B79829nu0mrj
This was at day 3. :

#18 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 01:34 AM

I had C's for the first few weeks after birth, wasn't much impressed by the "hugeness" I must say, and spent 12+ years nursing my 6 kids for 9-39 months each, with tiny A's. Never supplemented. None ate solids until well past 6 months, even a year.
My last babe stopped nursing at 39 months and I could still express milk over a year later.
SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!!!
;-)
#19 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 02:09 AM

Another barely A here!
Prepregnancy I was very selfconscious and always wished for bigger breasts. Toward the end I (much to my amazemnet) became a D!!!! I loved it as did dh . I sadly had numerous supply issues and ds went on/stayed on strike at about 10 months. I had already began to lose my lovely new D's and now I'm even smaller than before haven't worn a bra in years now...
#20 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 02:13 AM

I was large right after dd was born but shrunk back to my usual size after about 2 years (I still nurse my 3.5 year old). I don't have to wear a bra and love it and I always have penty of milk... well now I'm pregnant again so less milk but even with small breast I had no trouble nursing. I haven't ever experienced negative comments or anything about bfing so I don't know what anyone else thinks.
#21 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 AM

Another barely-A momma checking in! All my nursing bras were baggy, cause I can't find anything smaller than a B : I just wear a regular bra now.
My breast size used to always bug me, and my mom told me when I was growing up, hers didn't grow til she had kids. Well I had a kid, and they're still tiny! Bah! I think I managed a B for a week, tops. However, since nursing my babe (going on 2 years now), it doesn't bother me anymore.

one tired mama chasing after a spirited little boy (10/04)
#22 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 AM

Another A cup here. For the first few months, I was a C, now I'm about a B. I fully expect to be an A again after weaning. I have no supply issues at all ~ DD is one chunky EBF monkey !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#23 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 08:30 AM

I am EPing... But I was not even an A before pregnancy, an A during pregnancy, and now a small B while Lactating. These little breasts work a little too well! I started out making 120 oz a day for the first few months. Then 75 for the next few months. I am still making 45ish oz a day at 11 months pp. (dd only takes around 35 oz a day) So don't ever listen to anyone that says small breasted women can't BF!!!!! I can feed twins, possibly triplets or quads through just pumping! I am now so proud of my little breasts. Sure, the large breasted girls may have picked on me years ago... But I doubt they can say their breasts work so well! I love my little breasts!
#24 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
I started out making 120 oz a day
WHOA! Talk about "small but mighty"! That's what I call myself, but you definitely take the cake.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#25 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Oh no, don't be jealous. I had no stretch markls on my boobs until engorgment, then they were covered. And it hurt like fire. Ouch!

http://images1.snapfish.com/347%3C%3...%3B79829nu0mrj
This was at day 3. :
Oh, Dear God, ouch!

Single mom of 2 boys
#26 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Oh, Dear God, ouch!
Oh, and I should mention those are next to a 9 lb baby. : Painful stuff!

#27 of 35 Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I should mention those are next to a 9 lb baby. : Painful stuff!
If that was a 9 pound baby, how heavy were the boobs?! You're going to scare the other A-cuppers.

Stef - mommy to Matthew and Katrina, wife to Dave; seamstress, bra-maker, and resident bra expert.  Find your proper bra size.
#28 of 35 Old 10-05-2006, 02:09 AM

I was an A pre-pregnancy and am now a B cup. My fav nursing bras (well, not really nursing bras but can be used as such) are Blue Canoe crossover and the Elita crossover.
#29 of 35 Old 10-05-2006, 02:16 AM

I'm like a barely-B (but first thing in the morning I think a good full B! lol) but no, my boobs are not big. I've had a good enough supply to never have to supplement despite EP'ing. oversupply for the first 6-9 months actually. they're definitely bigger than they were before pregnancy/birth but they're nowhere NEAR my other bf'ing friends! I see them and think, holy milkmakers or as DH likes to say, "milk-filled boobies".

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#30 of 35 Old 10-05-2006, 02:29 AM

I was just thinking about this while nursing Ruby to sleep. I was an A cup prepreg - and am a full B now. Ruby gets all she wants and there is plenty in the freezer. I am proud of these working girls! I still occasionally have societal fears, but mostly, I feel like finally... size reallly doesn't matter.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page