Do you ever see anyone NIP in your local stores/restaurants? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, every once in a while! Let me see..at the foodcourt, at the beach, at the mall and at the restaurant within the few months. But almost always those were little newborns. But I don't NIP anymore now that baby is older, either...he is too distracted and exposes me too much, panicks under the cover etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Not here. It's a very conservative Army town. But I saw it occasionally other places I've lived. I even saw a well covered (I assume Muslim) woman in a hijab NIP on a airplane a couple years ago.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#33 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 PM

Yes! We just went out to eat the other night and there was a mama nursing a baby (about 8 months old?) with no blanket covering! Usually I see moms NIP, but they're ALWAYS covered. I thought it was so sweet, too, because the baby kept playing with the moms shirt so some skin was even showing (GASP!) and she didn't even seem to notice. The best thing about it was, after we got to our table, my DH turned to me with a smile and said, "Did you see that mom nursing her baby? Good for her!"

Shannon
#34 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I live in Burlington Vermont and I see TONS of breastfeeding mamas. Maybe I live in a more pro-breastfeeding area or something. There are also stickers on some store windows that say, "Breastfeeding welcome here"

Joyful mama of 3.
#35 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 04:04 PM

I currently live in Israel and have almost never seen a woman nip. the couple of times I've seen it, I've had to stop myself from congradulating the woman!! I've only ever received dirty looks for nip, which I do quite openly without heistation whenever my nearly one year old requests milk. I think nip is a service to the future children of the world whose mamas might feel more confident and supported if nip becomes more common!!

When I lived in Canada I saw lots of nip, but it was mainly people I knew. there was one tiny cafe we'd all hang out at often, as the owners were our friends, and there were occations where there were 4 or 5 mamas nursing their babes in there at once, which was cool...easiest way to eat in peace!!
#36 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 04:57 PM

I live in Portland,OR and I've seen tons of NIP. This city seems very breastfeeding friendly. Actually just today I saw a women nursing her toddler on the MAX (the light rail train).
#37 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I need to move to Portland...that is so awesome!!!
#38 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 06:16 PM

all the time.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#39 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=dentmom3;6370181]

We're not far from each other! I work in Chicopee - at least I did - I gave my notice this week! So I have seen NIP at the butterfly place, at my office (I was so proud of that mama!!!) and at the mall.

FTR - I was also NIP at the mall, and at the Cracker Barrel by the mall if you ever saw me!

QUOTE]

I actually live in Holyoke, and work in CT! I am not working this year though, because I got the year off!

I nurse at the mall, any restaurant -- pretty much anywhere, except in front of my in-laws. It would make them VERY uncomfortable -- and they're pretty good to me, so...I wouldn't nurse in a bathroom for them though...
#40 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 PM

Only a few times, unfotunately
#41 of 44 Old 10-26-2006, 07:47 PM

Yep, quite a bit in the SF Bay/Berkeley area.
#42 of 44 Old 10-27-2006, 03:22 PM

i was at the play area in the mall the other day with my friend who has two girls 18 mos. and 3 yrs. and I was the only one breastfeeding at the time but then I saw two other mamas doing it. It was so great to see.
#43 of 44 Old 10-27-2006, 04:18 PM

There are three other moms in my playgroup that nurse in public... at the library, and out at the park. My sister NIP where ever she went for years... (I often saw her do it!). I do, too, of course.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#44 of 44 Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Never never never, I've only ever seen family NIP. I also always see babies in plastic buckets: The other day I was in the food court with DD, DH and MIL, DD was hungry so I retied my wrap, which got everyones attention because almost no one babywears here, then I proceeded to bf her. I had a mall employee approach me while everyone was still watching and we were finishing our meal and she started to tell me about how the mall is family friendly and has an area to nurse babies by the washroom with couches so I could sit and have privacy. I told her that this way was hands free so I didn't have to sit and reminded her that it is legal in our city for women to expose their breasts, bfing or not and I was so unconcerned about privacy that I would be happy to remove the wrap and my shirt to show how family friendly the mall truely is I got the standard "that's alright Miss(While I'm with my DH wearing my wedding rings: ) and she walked away.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page