Wellbutrin and BFing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doctor just switched me from Zoloft to Wellbutrin XL 150 mgs. Reading the paperwork that came with the prescription, it says not to take if breastfeeding.

Now the pharmacist said when I called that there was one study where it caused birth defects in babies whose mothers had taken it while pregnant. But that the studies now showed that it was undetectable in nursing infants.

So I am on the fence as to whether or not to take this. I was the one who asked for the switch. I think the Zoloft may be to blame for my weight and I've taken Wellbutrin before with no ill side effects.

Does anyone know if this is safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 PM

I took it for 2 weeks while breastfeeding and my doctor told me that they HAVE to say that because they probably haven't tested it on many breastfeeding mothers as it would be unethical. I was told by my pharmacist, my doctor, and, even more importantly, my mother, who's an arnp and seen EVERYTHING, that it was safe. But it's still your decision. If you're taking it for ppd, I personally didn't feel any effects from taking the drug. Due to my INCREDIBLY complicated recovery, my mom suggested I take an antidepressant, and that's the one she asked about and also the one my doctor prescribed. Anyhoo. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:50 AM

my doc prescribed this for my ppd... after I read the insert I called the pediatrician to ask their advice. They told me that there was one infant death related to Welbutrin and I was NOT TO BREASTFEED while taking it. I cried and cried, because I thought I was going to have to quit breastfeeding. I told them I had already fed him all day since I took it in the morning and they were really worried about THAT! ANyway, they did some research and told me Zoloft was the only thing that they would approve for ppd/breastfeeding so I switched to that after a phone call to my OB. I am not trying to scare you, but everything I read about it did say it was NOT SAFE during breastfeeding.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:25 PM

Was just searching to see other bfing moms on wellbutrin, and came across this thread.

I know that Dr. Thomas Hale says that small amounts of the drug is emitted into breastmilk, but the main concern he has is that it may reduce milk supply. Here is the link here:

http://http://66.230.33.248/discus/m...tml?1127251390

I was wondering if I should be concerned about reduced milk supply with my 17 month old. Wellbutrin is one of the drugs that really worked for me during my prepregnant days...
Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 PM

My ob said it would decrease my supply. It worked really well for me as an antidepressant, I had significant weight loss as a nice side effect, but I went off of it while I was pregnant and haven't gone back on.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:56 PM

I took it while nursing Jack, our third child. It definitely did NOT decrease my milk supply. He weighed 20lbs at 16 weeks old and nursed every 3-4 hours. He definitely had plenty!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 PM

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 150mgs since ds was 6 weeks old. He is 7 months and still exclusively bf. I cannot take Zoloft, it just doesn't work with me for some reason even though I realize it is considered the best choice. I read all the info I could find and watched my baby very very closely as I would have stopped taking it had I noticed it affecting him at all. I did choose to take it at night after his bedtime nursing as I hoped he would get lower doses from me that way. It does lower supply but this was not a negative in my case as I have had oversupply issues with my other babies, and taking the Wellbutrin seemed to make my milk production in the "normal" range instead of over or under if that makes any sense. Anyway ds is thriving and is 21 pounds so no supply issue. I have to say he is the happiest of all my babies, maybe just his nature or maybe because he has a balanced mum. Sadly I haven't noticed any of the nicer side effects of the drug like the weight loss or increased sex drive I think that any choice like this needs to be carefully considered and this is just my personal experience.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:18 PM

I took Wellbutrin XL 300 mg during my pregnancy and continue to take it while breast feeding.

One of the reasons that I chose to try this years ago was because it is safe during pregnancy and nursing. I have had the more plesant side effects mentioned above, and have had no problems on this drug. I too did not have any milk supply issues due to the Wellbutrin.
Here is a great resource to the is it safe while nursing/pregnany question... It is run by the State of Utah, and they have the most current info on is this safe. They have been very helpful to me.

http://health.utah.gov/cshcn/pregnancyriskline/

User Tag List