Mothering Forum banner

Migraines and Nursing

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  owen&mama 
#1 ·
First let me say, that I can't believe I made it to this board. Katie turned 1 yesterday.

Anyway, I have always gotten migraines, and for a while they were once or twice a year, no biggie, but since Katie was born they stepped up in frequency and now they are every couple weeks. My Doctor basically said he won't even talk to me about them till I stop BF becasue there are no treaments that are safe to take while BF.

I just don't know what to do....90% of me says to just suck it up, its better for Katie if I keep BF, but I'll tell you what, when I am in excruciating pain, that other 10% comes screaming to the front of my brain. The other thing that bothers me is that I am taking a lot of Advil and tylenol right now (not every day), and most of the timewhen I do take it it is less than what the daily limit is, but there are some days when I take way more than that, and I am just worried as to what that will do to my kidneys and liver in 30 years, kwim.

Anyone else ever had to deal with anything like this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Does your doctor actually know the treatments are not compatible with bfing or is just what the package info says. Many medications are fine while bfing and doctors just don't know it. Try to get a copy of Hale's Guide to Medications and Mother's Milk (I think that's the right title) to see what info it has about the possible treatments. Also know that most medical info now cocedes that it is safe to take any med while bfing as long as it is something that could also be prescribed for a child. There is lots of info on www.kellysmom.com and www.drjaygordon.com. HTH

#3 ·
Congratulations on making it to a year!

I am sorry you've had to suffer for nothing. Your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. There are a number of migraine meds that are fine during nursing. This page has lots of references and further links:

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/migraine-meds.html

I would switch doctors, and talk to an IBCLC certified lactation consultant who has the reference books on which medications are OK.

Good luck mama!

#4 ·
momof1,

I get migraines too. They were occuring more frequenyly due to hormone levels while nursing. I have found that by identifying my triggers and avoiding them. I can prevent them.

Things I do:
-avoid msg
-always try to wear sunglasses when outside
-sleep at least 8 hours a night
-limit caffeine

Good luck.
I know how debilitating they can be.

~Laura

#5 ·
hippiemom just posted this over in health and healing:

so i was left to return to pain endurance, with OTC meds not even touching it, UNTIL this great doc/acupuncturist told me about high dose riboflavin (b2) and cal mag. every day i take 500mg of magnesium, 1000mg of calcium, the entire b complex, plus 400 mg of b2. i also eat my kids' yummy 250mg C's. inside of 2 months i felt so much better. i am very headachy and my "lesser" headaches have disappeared. my migraines are now manageable with OTC analgesics in normal doses (instead of eating 1/2 the bottle). and yes, i drink coffee too. i feel like my life has been returned to me. so there is hope! i did a search for "riboflavin and migraine" and there is good info out there. i also drink a daily tea of nettle, mint, burdock, and dandelion. i'm free! wanted to get the word out.....

#7 ·
Oh, I know how it feels!!!! I used to get migraines with vomiting for 12 hours at a time--completely put me out.

Doc said nothing was compatible with nursing.

I now see a chiropractor, take magnesium suppliments, make sure I eat well and have a consistent bedtime/wake up time. (ymmv) And I have not had one that severe in years.

When I feel one coming on, I take some peppermint tea, use peppermint oil in a diffuser, and put ice on the back of my neck. All help to keep me functioning.

If it's going to be a bad one, I will take 1/2 dose of Excedrine to take the edge off. (This happens a couple of times a year.)
I should caution you that, I have read that asprin is a "no-no" while nursing, but I've also read that it's okay. You have to do your research and decide what's best for you. (I've nursed 3 children a total of 9+ years and it's never been a problem.)

Do a Google search on the drug(s) you're considering, along with "breastfeeding" and you'll find lots of info.

Good luck. You don't have to suffer through this!

#8 ·
I used to have migraines that would send me under the bed (the only dark, cool, quiet place in the house) for 3-4 days at a time. Sipping water would make me pass out from the pain. Couldn't take anything for the same reasons. I just suffered with them every few weeks (then realized they were worse right before my period) Found a wonderful chiropractor/homeopath who had me fixed up in no time! It's been years since I had one (although I did have one a few months ago, under a lot of stress and not eating right).
A friend who is an acupuncturist treated me for that one, and says she has very good results treating people with migraines.
The point.......there are lots of alternative remedies for migraines, you just have to find one that works for you. No need to give up nursing OR suffer. Sometimes a food combination causes them, my mom can eat peanuts and chocolate, but not together. Within hours she has a migraine. Learning that has eliminated her migraines completely.
Good luck!

#10 ·
You've gotten some good input here. In fact, I'm going to print this and use it myself. I didn't know about this forum when I was looking. It never ceases to amaze me!

I take Imitrex also. Until DS was about 10 months, I took nothing. I was told that I could take Midrin, and I tried, but it might has well have been a sugar pill. So, about twice a month - if I was lucky - I spent two or three days in bed. It completely disrupted my life - family and work. Finally in desperation, I bought Dr. Hale's book (mentioned earlier and quoted on the kellymom.com site). I took the book with the dogeared pages for Imitrex to my doctor and she agreed to prescribe it and, considering the half life, recommended that I wait 6 hours to BF. Since DS was/is older, it was pretty doable, with the exception of a few hairy moments. I work, so I can take my meds in the a.m. and by the time I'm back to him, I can nurse again. On weekends, it's a different story, but mostly okay. By the way, Imitrex has the same rating as Midrin in this book and I was told I could take Midrin without waiting to nurse!

Imitrex kills the headache, and, at risk of sounding like a commercial for a pharmaceutical company, it has given me my life back. I'm not much of a drug person, except in this case.

I have also had some luck identifying some triggers, and I'm still working in that area. But for now, at least I know that I don't have to spend 2 - 3 days in bed in the event my trigger karma is off.

Good luck! I hope you find what works for you.

#11 ·
I was on the Imitrex nosespray before I got PG, and aside from the awful taste, It was the miracle cure for me. I would take it as soon as the vision thing started and within 2 minutes it was gone. It was wonderful, then when I was pg, I had almost no headaches (migraine or otherwise).

I also realized that lack of sleep is a trigger for me. The night before my last one, I didn't go to bed till almost midnight and I am almost always in bed between 9 and 10.

I also am going to see if I can speak to a nutritionist about the vitamins that hippiemom mentioned. Before that, though, I think I am going to print out the Hales list and bring it to my DR and make him give me something in the interim.

#12 ·
Interesting thread as I just decided to stop nursing my 22mo ds b/c I had the worst migraine of my life and it is still hanging aroung 6days later. I read the list and neither of my two medications were listed

Norvasc...a calcium channel blocker taken to prevent them(worked wonders before i had kids!)
Maxalt...same family as imitrex. Imitrex worked for a year and then stopped .

Here are a few suggestions that mighat help ease your way around stopping the nursing. If dc is willing give child milk that is stashed in freezer..if that is an option.

Second is to pump and dump. I did this a lot when headache got so babd I had to have something. Another in relation to that is time your meds so they will be as long as possible between feedings. For me my son goes to bed around 9pm and gets up normally aroung 9am so I feel I can safely take meds at night and wake up rested and all better in the morning. (If you read the product packing on most products or ask dr/pharmacist they can tell you how long the Rx stays in your system or what the potency is after a certain amount of time. )

Got to go going to check out the health and healing board...maybe I can find some more consistent non Rx relief!

#13 ·
queen620: I have my Hale book here at work and found that Maxalt is there with the same L3 rating as Imitrex. It hasn't been reviewed by AAP, and the half-life is just a bit longer (2 - 3 hours) than Imitrex. So, it sounds compatible. A little information if you're interested....

That's my biggest fear: That Imitrex will stop working!
I had heard that that happens with these meds. Good to know that there are others out there that work for people!

Peaceful and quiet heads to us all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.