Crazy idea??!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-18-2003, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here it is: My sister was a size 12 and is pumping milk for her two babies both born premature. One is now a year and a half and the other is around 4 months old. She went from a size 12 to a size 4 in about 5 months.

She and I are practically the same, we have had weight problems all of our lives... but I was always a size bigger then her since i always ate more...but diets never worked for us ... the most we would lose is a couple of pounds...

anyway, i thought since it worked for her then why can't it work for me??? so my dd is a month and a half...tomorrow morning i am buying a breast pump and i am going to pump like crazy as my sister put it...she said she pumped every two hours...

i really dont need to pump sice i take my baby to work with me but i can stock up the freezer...

she pumped and pumped herself down to a size 4...!!!!!

but really i was worried if in some way it could effect the feeding of my daughter now...she gets upset at letdown i guess cuz the milk is pouring in her mouth so fast....i am hoping if i pump and produce more milk that it would'nt make my letdowns more forceful in anyway and it won't interfere with my feeding her now.

anyone else heard of a story like this...

<<edited to add more detail>>

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#2 of 9 Old 04-18-2003, 03:53 PM

I have not heard of pumping as a method of weight loss. And, breastfeeding/pumping in general affects women's bodies differently. Many women lose weight more easily and just as many hold onto a few extra pounds until they wean.

Will you have use for all of that milk in the freezer? I do think it might impact your letdown if you already have a strong one but others may know more...

LOL, she probably lost all that weight because she had no time to eat between all of those pumpings!
#3 of 9 Old 04-18-2003, 09:28 PM

Well, that is certainly a new one! Actually what you would be doing is tandem nursing, virtually. I see your next youngest child is still not 2. Give him the pumped milk. His immune system will not be mature til he is 6 years old, so it will do him mountains of good. Maybe he would even nurse? Humans are meant to nurse anywhere from 2-7 years, so it would be natural to give him your milk.

Of course, once they both wean, you will be back where you started. Eat whole foods and exercise, cut out junk. These are lifetime habits to a healthy weight. Just for the record, I don't think size 12 is fat anyway! When I used to be a size 12, boy I was skinny! (5'7")
#4 of 9 Old 04-19-2003, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

thats a great idea to give ds the milk..

i tried to nurse him again and train him not to bite my breast but he continues to do that.

i guess ur right, i would be back where i started..

lolol, i guess i will have to go into the nursing business and offer people who can't breastfeed to nurse their children. i could nurse for years until i have no more youth then it would be ok to be fat.

anyway, i am now like size 18!

i hope it works though.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#5 of 9 Old 04-21-2003, 04:52 PM

sounds like your sister has a really high metabolism during nursing. that happened to me, before af came back. i was burning calories at a ridiculous rate, lost weight while eating 3-4k calories a day. things changed when af came back, but only for a month or two. i'm about to have my third cycle, and i am hungry all the time again and am starting to lose weight again. still nursing tons, of course (dd is 21 months).

you know, if you really want to pump, you could always investigate becoming a milk bank donor. there's some testing and careful care involved, but what a wonderful thing for other mamas and babies it would be! give it a thought!
#6 of 9 Old 04-22-2003, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

maybe i am stupid but what is "af"?

anyway, i hope i am the same way - high metabolism while breastfeeding and pumping.

i have some questions though as i have started to pump. I am having a hard time coordinating pumping between breastfeeding my dd. i started yesterday and i thought that i should pump every 2 hours. but how is that to work when dd breastfeeds like every 2 hours and sometimes less. Twice i started pumping 10 minutes after i had breastfed her thinking that of course she wouldn't wake up hungry. I had finished pumping and she woke up wanting to breastfeed and I really had nothing much to offer her. It took a good maybe 40 minutes to an hour some milk to come in for her. I felt awful and tried to feed through a syringe while she was on my breast. I guess it worked but I don't want to have to do that again.

So here are my questions: Should I be pumping in between feedings or after feedings? And if after feedings, how long after the feeding should i wait before I pump? how long will it take for my supply to adjust? How often should I pump? Do i need to do it at the same times everyday?

I bought the PIS breastpump. I pump both breasts at the same time. How long should I pump for? Does it really matter what speed i put it on? I had it on the fastest speed and almost the hardest suction...but my breasts are a bit sore....

anyway look forward to hearing any suggestions, comments, tips on pumping.

Thanks for ur help!

#7 of 9 Old 04-22-2003, 12:53 PM

af means Aunt Flo. Kind of a silly euphemism for your period. This icon:

Now, about pumping. If you were suddenly saddled with another baby to feed full time, you would want to feed it or pump for it as often as it eats, every 2 hours or so. Now, you just want to make enough milk to 1) lose weight more quickly and 2) give some to your toddler. Perhaps you don't need to pump every 2 hours round the clock to do this. You might go crazy.

Most moms have a larger milk supply in the morning. You may want to pump then. After feeding your baby. If you spend too much time on this pumping project, you don't want to lose sight of what is really important here, your baby's food supply. Maybe one or two other pumping sessions a day as well, but go gradually. Remember to drink lots of water! Think of it was a grwoth spurt, you will be spending most of your day either feeding or pumping to ramp up your supply now. Once the body gets the signal, you will make more milk at each session.

Most moms pump for about 10 mins per side. Don't use too much suction to the point where it hurts your nipples!
#8 of 9 Old 04-22-2003, 10:22 PM

This is a crazy idea, LOL!

I agree to keep sight of the real goal, your baby. It might be helpful to wait to start this project until your baby has a more normal schedule that you could pump around easily. Or you could only pump one breast at a time so that if she wants to nurse you will have something to offer.

Pumping is a huge pain in the rear, all that washing! Don't burn yourself out! Just nursing one baby will help your metabolism plenty I bet.

If you do end up with lots of extra milk, the milk bank idea is great.

Tina

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-23-2003, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

lolol, really it started out for weight loss but now that my toddler is drinking it through the bottle - he said he likes it alot...i was so pleased i was like thats it - I have to always give him my milk. so its a good thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page