low iron?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-19-2003, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if baby has a iron check and it is low...(the doc said the norn is 30 -5o and ds was at 30) does that mean low iron is BM? when i was pregnant i had low iron but i brought it up by taking supplements...
#2 of 7 Old 04-19-2003, 10:49 AM

Not sure what you are asking? Is breastmilk low in iron? Well, it is, but it is 49% absorbed by the baby, b/c of the presence of other vits to make it so. Artifical iron in artificial baby milk is only 4% absorbed.

Most fully bfed babies do not get anemic. If they were challenged in utero, premies or multiples, etc. it can happen. What is your plan, with a 30 hemocrit?
#3 of 7 Old 04-19-2003, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

sorry for the confusion...i was wondering if ds is low in iron cause maybe he;s not getting enough from my breast milk? the dr siad to give a dropper full of fer-in -sol a day for 6 weeks...
#4 of 7 Old 04-22-2003, 10:59 PM

Interesting, I wonder if he is low because you were low when you were pregnant, or maybe your iron is low now.

I was anemic during pregnancy and I was concerned that my son might be anemic when he was about 8 months old. His doctor said not to worry, and that blood levels are not necessarily indicative of a problem. Meaning that just because his number is low, doesn't mean that that isn't a normal number for his body. Of course, if he had symptoms of anemia, it would need to be treated.

I've also heard that some people are always "anemic" based on their levels, but really it's just part of their ethnicity. Some Italians are like this I guess. I'm half Italian and I'm always anemic, maybe that's why.

Tina

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-22-2003, 11:30 PM

You didn't mention the age of the baby -- at ds' 9-mo checkup, his iron was borderline as well. My elderly male ped said that in the maaaaaany years of his practice, he found it to be a common occurence in bf babies at around this age, and assumed it to be a normal change that usually resolved itself in the next few months.

He offered supplements, but said that they were awfully hard on the system and since ds was nibbling solids that I could just encourage iron-rich foods. He also asked if I was nursing on demand, and said to continue doing so and we'd recheck at the one-year. He was quite unconcerned about it all, and we never did bother to supplement. I'm still in the habit of checking the iron content of any labeled foods, and am deeply glad that ds has always loved spinach salads. We also cook in cast iron quite a bit, and that helps.

Namaste,

Pallas
#6 of 7 Old 04-23-2003, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

it was nice to hear (see) some info...yes i was Real low in iron during preagnancy, and i just had my iron checked, and it was jsut above the level..( i was at 11.4 and 11 is the lowest on the scale)....so she the doc said i was fine.,... ds is a little over 9 months now-he had his iron checked for the wellness check...he has alwways been or seemed to me like he was a little too sleepy, and everyone told me that it was normal and babies sleep a lot, but i was wondering if he was low iron, so i am going to do the supple,emts, but i am thinking of triyng the flouredex, the natural iron, instead of the fer-in-sol, which is waht wer're doing now....i need to get some though so we'll see...thankyou asgain..
#7 of 7 Old 04-23-2003, 07:53 PM

mamabee, here is an excellent link (from an excellent site, BTW) on iron levels and breastfed babies. Iron Info Kelly's site is fantastically researched and has great information in it. HTH!

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page