How do you gently wean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2003, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 23 months, and although I still enjoy nursing a lot, I feel like I'm getting ready for him to be done soon. I would like to do this gradually, but don't really know where to start. He is pretty adamant about nursing when he really wants to.

I am working on the don't offer and don't refuse - I don't offer much, but I don't always try to distract him when he is obviously wanting to nurse. But he still nurses 3-4x at night, in the morning, for naps, and periodically throughout the day, depending on whether we are at home (more nursing) or out and about (sometimes no nursing at all).

Any advice or helpful book suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2003, 11:56 AM

Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, How Weaning Happens, The No Cry Sleep Solution, How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/weanhowto.html
Old 04-19-2003, 12:05 PM

When I felt like I was getting ready to wean, I started talking about it to ds. We picked a time (about 6 months later) when we both felt okay to wean. We talked about it together & I talked about it deliberately with others within his ear shot. The date we picked was June & by the first week in July, he was completely weaned. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:06 AM

I negotiated with DD- when she was 2 1/2 I said, "You can nurse again at 5 am when the birds sing" and we did-- that's how we cut out night nursing. The day feedings she gave up slolwly on her own. The one before bed and at 5 am stayed until near weaning. 5 am was the last to go- she just stopped asking.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

User Tag List