Pumps - Medela PIS vs. Lactina? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2003, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I go back to work on Monday...

We have a Breastfeeding Program so I have access to a totally private "Lactation Room" with a Lactina Pump. The program sent me a bag for toting the pump accessories/parts as well as those ice blocks for storing the pumped milk.

I have my own Pump In Style which works wonderfully but it seems wiser to use the pump that is being provided free of charge so that I don't wear out the PIS. Plus, this way I won't have to tote my PIS around...

Is the Lactina as good/effective as the PIS? I will bring my PIS the first day in case the Lactina does not work out for me. I also hope it is easy to figure out!!

I am really nervous about all of this but it is good that my company is so supportive of breastfeeding. I even get weekly phone calls from a Lactation Consultant!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2003, 11:45 AM

You are lucky to have great lac support at work! The Lactina is better than the PIS, so don't worry. It is considered a "hospital grade" pump. Do you have a double pump kit? That cuts your pumping time in half.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:21 PM

I rented a lactina for 14 mos. It was WONDERFUL. THe hospital grade ameda one was painful.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:06 PM

Lucky lucky mama! How wonderful for you.

I'd be so relieved to not have to lug my PIS to work and back with me. It'd be one less bag to get ready before work each day. If you're very concerned about the other pump not working, take the PIS with you the first day just in case. But try the Lactina first.

I've been pumping at work for a whole week (I'm such an expert now..lol) and I highly rec making a little ritual out of it. I get a drink, use the bathroom, wash my hands, and while I'm setting up the pump, I try to visualize my baby nursing and think of how he snorts at night when he's rooting. My Monday pumping session was a little tense...by Friday my boobies knew what was going on.

Good luck on Monday.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:38 PM

I too rented a Lactina and preferred it to the PIS...I tried my friend's PIS and it didn't work for me at all, not sure why...maybe because my children are "suckers" or maybe because I'd already been using the Lactina for awhile and had gotten used to it....anyway, I say go for the Lactina!
Old 04-20-2003, 11:55 AM

Wow, lucky, lucky, lucky! As the others said, the Lactina is better, in that it's stronger than the PIS. Just one thing, when I changed pumps (from Medela Classic (similar to Lactina) to Ameda Purely Yours (similar to PIS), it took a few days for my body to get used to it. You know the suction strength may be different. I understand you can vary the settings on the Lactina? But you're going from a good pump to an even better, stronger pump so you should have no problems.

User Tag List