What can I take? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2003, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not really sure what all I can take.I have a had really bad stuffy but runny nose for the past week or two.If my nose is not so stopped up and I can't breathe then my nose is runny off my face.My nose hurts so bad,not to mention it is so red..My eyes are itching.I try to put make up on and look half way good and in a hour or two I have wiped it off my nose and have rubbed it all off my eyes.
I have been taking Sudifed,but it is not working.I tried benadryl a cuple of times but I am so afraid it will dry up my milk.Thanks to anyone how can help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2003, 10:17 PM

According to Hale's Sudafed is a much greater risk for milk supply issues L3 (mod. safe), L4 (poss. hazardous) for chronic use. Benadryl is preferable...risk l2, pretty safe. If your bf is well established, you know your own supply, I might use Sudafed occasionally...it is not dangerous to the babe. But since it's not working....sounds like you need to call the doc and get something else. Zyrtec is one Hale's thinks is ok. (NOT allegra.) Claritin is ok too, and was just released over the counter, not prescription anymore. Try taking the anitihitaminse only, not the D formulation. An anithistamine is what you need, not the decongestant part, I would bet.

I would also try saline irrigation of your nose, like with a neti pot...you can manage it with a measuring cup too. It does help. And allergy eye drops if your eyes bother you more than anything else. Shower before bed and keep outdoor clothes out of your bedroom.

others might have some homeopathic or herbal advice.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:01 AM

Do you think this is viral or allergy related? If allergies, one thing that really helps is getting a portable HEPA air filter (like at Home Depot or a similar place) and putting it in your bedroom. Since people spend usually a third of the day in the bedroom, having clean air in there is important. You can also move it around to where you spend the most time during the day.

I believe Nasacort nasal spray (prescription) is compatible with breastfeeding. So is Afrin (over the counter) but you can only use it for 3 days, otherwise you will get rebound nasal congestion.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 04-21-2003, 10:54 AM

the inhaled corticosteroids are ok in Hale's but they take like two weeks of regular use to really help...so it's not always the immediate answer to acute symptoms unfortunately.

My sister switched from afrin to saline spray nose drops due to the rebound issue...you're right, that's no joke!

User Tag List