the nursers are pinched black and blue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2003, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to hear some opinions......Gracie's newest lovely habit is pinching and scratching me while nursing. I have been gently saying "Don't pinch Mommie. It hurts Mommie," for several weeks, have tried a nursing necklace and have even given her a little pinch to let her know what it feels like....all of which is met with laughing and giggling. GRRRRR!!

So what do you do??? Both of my breasts are covered with scratches and are black and blue underneath. Is this going to end soon? Is this a phase? I have discovered that this happens mostly as she is drifting off to sleep, so how do you find an alternative? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2003, 12:23 AM

I don't have much by way of advice but I can sympathize - ds gets me with sharp nails and it's excrutiating!! He pinches and rolls the skin between his clammy little fingers - I don't know why!!

I try to give him something to hold in his hand, or else I play a game with his hand - he gets a kick out of me blowing on his palm! Or I kiss each of his fingertips, or pretend to eat his fingers.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:51 AM

ouch!!
anna does the same thing-she also likes to pull hair and put her fingers in my mouth...wish i could help you too but i'm at a loss as well......

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

Old 04-21-2003, 12:56 PM

Seems to me I would treat this the same way I would treat biting at the end of a feed, when they are just fooling around. Stop the feed and tell her why. Of course, this will be met with tears if it is at nap or bed time. Depending on the child, it can take time to unlearn a bad nursing habit. Nursing manners are so important when nursing a toddler, as it is a relationship where both partners must be respected.

Offer other kinds of comfort or hand her off to dad for a sling walk at bedtime?

Spirited kids have a harder time learning good nursing manners, speaking from exp here. One of mine bit me for months, the other one twiddled the opposite nipple til I wanted to climb the walls!

One of mine had a favorite teddy bear and she used to twiddle its nose instead of me (that was my one non-spirited, but "only spunky" child). The biter had a favorite knitted blanket and used to force her fingers through the holes for fun while nursing. I hope you can find an alternative twiddle object. (Kids twiddle for biological reasons, it stimulates your milk supply, like a goat butting its head into its mom's udder!) And keep those fingernails short!
Old 04-22-2003, 08:30 PM

My daughter was helped by keeping a fringed blanket nearby. After a month I still have to redirect her 'busy' fingers sometimes but playing with the fringe seems to help her. Sandy

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :

User Tag List