Pregnancy and the nursing toddler (almost a preschooler!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2003, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out I'm pregnant with #2 and my 33 month old (has it been that long already!) dd is still going strong with her mimi's. I have no idea what to expect with this process. I have mixed feelings about nursing throughout the pregnancy and tandem nursing. On one hand, I can't imagine not letting my dd nurse as it still seems to mean so much to her. On the other side, I would love a bit of a break before starting what is sure to be another long term nursing relationship.

So moms, what are you experiences. Do you have any words of wisdom or advice. I'm only 4 weeks along so I have quite a bit of time to work this out. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2003, 02:00 AM

i nursed through pregnancy and tandem nursed and would do it a million times over.

you may find that your dd naturally weans herself during your pregnancy. or she may continue as usual despite your lower milk supply.

you have to be very committed to the idea of nursing through pregnancy and tandem nursing because at times it can be very challenging.

a very happy congrats on your news of expecting!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 03:11 AM

Read "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" and follow your gut instincts.

I expected my 3 1/2 year old to self wean during my pregnancy and maybe he still will (I'm 33 weeks pregnant), but either way will be fine. I have not had much discomfort and alot has changed in his nursing and my feelings in the past 7 months.

I also have alot of support froom LLL and friends who have weaned during pregnancy or nursed thru pregnancy. Either decision is fine.

Good luck and many blessings.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:23 AM

Sizzkid,

I am in the throes of this dilemma now, and was about to post a new thread when I saw yours! No advice here, just commisseration.

I am mom to a 21 month old boy who loves to nurse, and I'm 17 weeks pregnant. I never thought I'd do anything but child-led weaning, but pregnancy has changed all that. I'm experiencing a lot of discomfort with nursing and also feel like I could use a break before starting again with babe #2. However, in my heart I feel that my son is not ready to stop nursing. Most of the times that I try to put off nursing and/or distract him from nursing become major outcries. I think it's partially the age, but he also has an expectation to be nursed on demand. Weaning seems impossible for him, but what I feel like I need.

Only time will tell. We're moving in two weeks, too!

Good luck, and I'd love to hear about your process as it evolves.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:42 AM

stick with your heart. you won't regret it (in the long run, that is).

User Tag List