Breasts HURT after 2-3 hours. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-21-2003, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my breasts 'fill up' after 2-3 hours, it really hurts - like hot throbbing pains starting from my armpits. It seems to be worse now but then I'm making more milk now dd is almost 3 months. Is it supposed to be like this? I took Diflucan for thrush and I'm using the Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Do others feel like this? Am I just sensitive? Maybe I just have these Irish boobies? I'd like to take up jogging again but the thought of anything making my breasts move fills me with dread.
#2 of 5 Old 04-22-2003, 12:36 AM

I don't know what that's all about. Do you think you have the thrush licked? It took me forever, like two courses of Diflucan plus all the alternative treatments and finally gentian violet.

Are you working with a lactation consultant? What does she say?

Are you breastfeeding and pumping still? Are you pumping more than dd needs? Maybe you're oversupplied and getting engorged?

Sorry, no answers, only brainstorming here.

I wish this were easier for you!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 5 Old 04-22-2003, 12:15 PM

I get that. I figure it's because I've got a bit of an oversupply & one side gets a bit engorged (we nurse on one side only for 4 hours, then switch - fore/hindmilk imbalance). I also feel it as a little cramping in the unused side when DD is nursing & my milk lets down. Perfectly normal, it seems to me.
#4 of 5 Old 04-22-2003, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

yep must be oversupply then. Hope so, don't wanna even think 'thrush' at the moment. I am pumping more than dd needs and freezing the rest. I just thought 2-3 hours isn't so long that it should start to hurt. Now after I've slept 5 hours then I expect pain. I heard I should pump about 8 times a day while dd is at this age to ensure a good supply later on. Maybe I can try cutting down the time of each pumping session. I've had 3 LCs, can't afford more sessions and don't feel it helps now - the issue now is nipple preference and dd not opening her mouth wide enough. I've exhausted all their ideas. Find this place just as helpful, if not better cause you get more ideas and it's faster.
#5 of 5 Old 04-23-2003, 03:16 AM

Not to mention free!

I would think that you could cut down on the pumping some, especially if you're ahead of the curve and able to freeze extra that she's not eating.

If your supply goes down too much you can up the pumping, or try herbal galactogogues like fenugreek, blessed thistle, and alfalfa. When ds seems like he's nursing all the time I take those for a couple days to give my supply a little nudge upwards.

(Not to make you depressed but yeast survives freezing so you will not want to give her frozen milk from when you had thrush. ).

As I think I've said before, my ds didn't really open his mouth wide enough/give up the bottle until somewhere after 8 weeks or so....I think it really was a developmental thing for him.

Is your dd nursing at all, or is it all bottlefeeding?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page