Red dye causing green poop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-16-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD2 is 14 months and nurses 5-6 times a day. In the past few days, she has consistently had *bright* green poop - kelly green, I'd call it. I've seen green poop caused by foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, and this doesn't look like that. The only thing different in our diets is that I've been drinking red kool-aid. I know too much red dye can cause green poop - but would it transfer via the breastmilk?

I'm going off kool-aid to see what happens, but I was curious what others thought.
#2 of 5 Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM

This happened to my six week old 2 nights in a row. I had eaten country-fried steak and gravy with green beans and corn bread...weird. It was like bright grass green!
#3 of 5 Old 11-16-2006, 11:54 PM

I don't know about red dye, but I know whatever they use to dye food blue will do it everytime. Freaked me right out the first time my daughter did it, now on the rare occasions she eats blue yogurt, I just expect it.
#4 of 5 Old 11-17-2006, 12:11 AM

I know red grapes can cause green poo. It happend to me once and I rushed to the dr thinking I had serious issues. Turned out I OD'd on red grapes.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#5 of 5 Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 AM

Oh, to add a response that is more applicable, my DS had bright green poo several times when her was less than 3 months. I am not sure what it was from (was not milk imbalance), but the Dr. said not to worry ubless he seemed uncomfortable or in pain. It never seemed to bother him so I never looked for a cause.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page