What do you call bfing in your family? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2003, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a sweet thread!
I have always just asked my kids if they wanted to nurse or if they wanted/needed some milk. Ds#2 would just sort of pat me and slide into position and maybe say "mil" for milk. My dd says "mum, mum" and will sometimes press her face into my chest. I will say to her "do you want some milk?" and she will get this HUGE grin on her face and chant "mum, mum" and pat me and sometimes do this cute, deep, gutteral giggle. I'm pretty sure all that means "YES!"

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2003, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When ds was first born, dh would always ask if he wanted "boobie" and my mom would just get so upset!!LOL She felt it was vulgar to say that....whatever!! But I decided that I didnt want a toddler yelling "boobie!!!" at the top of his lungs in the grocery store and decided to just call it "milk". He has recently really responded to me saying it and gets a big grin on his face and comes running when I ask, " DO you want milk?" He has also just recently ( ds is 14 months) started asking for it by patting my chest ever so gently ( it is so precious) and going "huh?" totally inflecting his voice when he says it. He sometimes pats his belly. And oh, I nurse him down for all of his naps and bedtime so when I say , "let's go ni ni" he will pat my chest or his!! I wouldnt be surprised if he calls it ni ni when he starts talking more.

- when I was pregnant, I knew I would bf, but I never thought I would be bfing a child that talks. I comment I always heard was when they can ask for it, they are too old!! Now that i am a nursing mother I know that there is no corelation between language and weaning!! And I think its cute that he can ask me for his milk!!!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 05-03-2003, 06:23 PM

My DS knows what I mean when I ask him, "Would you like to nurse?" He has understood since 6 months or so old. He is 13 months now and I suppose at some point he will learn to say nurse, or something like it. I considered saying "Breastfeed" but then I thought society would be a bit harder on him. I didn't want him ever absorbing negative feelings about what he was doing that was so positive and healthy.

And on a side note, I would just like to say I have been dissapointed in many people... my Doctor included... who have tried to encourage me to ween and use formula or worse, bovine milk. Can you spell.. N ... O ?

Old 05-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Banned

When dd was born, dh would say that she wanted "chow" whenever she'd go to nurse, so breastmilk became "chow." For at least a half a year now, dd, 23 months, asks for "mnummy chow now," gaining emphaticness based on how hungry/tired she is (dunno where"mnummy" came from, but there it is, and everything tasty is called "mnummy.") Like most toddlers, dd certainly understands the concept of "now."

She also talks about "mama milk," but usually only before she decides she wants to squeeze my nipple and milk me like a cow. Charming. :
Old 05-03-2003, 06:42 PM

My DS knows what I mean when I ask him, "Would you like to nurse?" He has understood since 6 months or so old. He is 13 months now and I suppose at some point he will learn to say nurse, or something like it. I considered saying "Breastfeed" but then I thought society would be a bit harder on him. I didn't want him ever absorbing negative feelings about what he was doing that was so positive and healthy.

And on a side note, I would just like to say I have been dissapointed in many people... my Doctor included... who have tried to encourage me to ween and use formula or worse, bovine milk. Can you spell.. N ... O ?

Old 05-05-2003, 01:12 AM

We started out trying to use the phrase "would you like to nurse?" thinking DD would come up with her own phrase adapted from "nurse". She did go through that polite phase where she would say "go nurse" or "nurse please" - but then it developed into something more urgent and it would be "nur nur"

BUT

Second part of the story. We use the phrase "fait doh-doh" for sleep, after my French Canadian heritage and my husbands New Orleans upbringing. So, after countless times of DD hearing the phrase "go doh-doh" while she nursed to sleep at a nap or night-time, she thought nursing was called "doh-doh". She sometimes still says "nur" or "noh-doh". But usally she points at my chest or hers and says "Doh-Doh"

Of course, lately she just says "Jzee-Jzee" all the time and it is supposed to mean everything.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:08 PM

When my middle ds was nursing he would ask for bobo. Nicholas still hasn't come up with a word. He usually beats on my chest, grabs my hand to take me to the big chair or if I am not paying attention will say "eat me".
Old 05-05-2003, 08:22 PM

We have always asked ****** if he wants to nurse. Now (and for quite some time) at age 23 months he asks "nursie pease". its darling and I never say no!

He calls my breasts nursies as well. he will point to his nipples and say "my nursies" and then point to my chest and say "mama's nursies".

Brooke
Old 05-08-2003, 11:47 AM

We've always said "num nums" I'm not really sure why. If I ask her if she wants num nums she smiles and runs over to me. Or if she wants it she will point to them.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
Old 05-08-2003, 12:25 PM

My daughter used to sign for it and then she started out saying "hungry" and then it deteriorated to "oogies" lol. So that's what she said when she wanted to nurse. Rane just signs or pats me frantically on the breast.

Deeanne
Old 05-09-2003, 05:38 AM

When dd #1 was nursing (weaned at 3yo) I called it nummies, but she turned it into munnos. Now with #2, I try not to call it anything in particular to see what she comes up with on her own. I ask her if she wants to nurse or eat or if she's hungry but don't give it a name.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:31 PM

I have a very non verbal 15 month boy. When he wants nurse he says "mmmmmmmmmmm" in such a sweet tone.

My best friend nursed her dd until she was three and made the fatal mistake of calling it "titty". So, when Anna wanted to nurse she would scream "titty" no matter where she was. One time she screamed it all through the grocery store. My friend kept saying "yes, Anna, kitty, kitty" in hopes no one would here her yell "TITTY"

Oh, they are so sweet at that age

We call it nursers oddly enough. I ask him if he wants to nurser and he replies, "mmmmmm". What a sweet baby
Old 05-13-2003, 12:52 AM

My son always called it "DO". I guess I would always ask "Do you want to nurse?"so he picked it up. My daughter has no verbal word for nursing yet but she will climb into my lap, pat my breast and make the sign for more so she gets the message across!
Old 05-13-2003, 01:47 AM

DD had difficulties with dairy and I worried that if she asked for milk someone would give her cows milk, so I started calling it mama juice-

With dd I sign the nursing sign, and ask if he wants to nurse or if he wants mama juice (since dd is still nursing)
Old 05-13-2003, 10:31 PM

I have encouraged ds, now 23 months, to say mimi (or as he says meh-meh, very softly- it's so sweet). At first, we called them boobs, but I didn't really want him to learn to say that.
An acquantance of mine watched a little 5-year old girl who really liked breasts, and for some reason, she called them mimi's. I thought that was really cute, and a good word for them. Plus, sort of close to milk, and easy to say.

User Tag List