What do you call bfing in your family? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 04-24-2003, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is only 7.5 mo old but I am wondering what I should be calling nursing for when she gets older and can call it something. I normally say nummies, milky, or boobie. What do you call it in your family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 04-24-2003, 05:07 PM

We decided not to use a special name for breastfeeding. Instead, we have tried to consistently ask "would you like to nurse?" and do the sign for milk. Now that she is talking, DD has come up with her own term for it -- "nah" -- which she yells out very enthusiastically wherever we are! ;-)
#3 of 45 Old 04-24-2003, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My ds either calls it nurse or nurnie, depending on how tired he is.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 45 Old 04-24-2003, 06:23 PM

I did the same thing as mommaLiz, and by the time Beth was 7 months she was calling it "nana," so that is what we call it now.

Patti
#5 of 45 Old 04-24-2003, 07:33 PM

We have always called it "nursie" and have recently begun to use the sign for "milk." I would die a thousand deaths of embarassment if DD asked for "boobie" in public!
#6 of 45 Old 04-24-2003, 09:13 PM

My DS asks to "nurse please" but has recently become interested in naming all the different body parts and sometimes asks specifically for my "nipple" (he knows the difference between nipple, breast, and chest!) I think it's pretty cool, but my mom got a little red when DS pointed out my nipple to her.
#7 of 45 Old 04-25-2003, 12:51 AM

I always just asked, "Would you like to nurse?" or "Would you like to do some nursing." Despite that, my son coined his own special phrase for nursing when he was about 18 months old-- and he calls it "over." He also calls my breasts my "overs." He knows the real terminology but prefers to use his own. BTW, he is 2.5 years old and goes around telling people, verbatim, "When I eat, my food slides down my esophagus and ends up in my stomach." He's got the rest of the human anatomy down, but not he "overs!"
#8 of 45 Old 04-25-2003, 01:08 AM

i say you want a boob whereever iam im not ashamed at all i figure my kid has to eat where ever whenever and when he gets older illask dou want to eat like i sometimes do now i get a lot of oh thats gross but its my own choice
#9 of 45 Old 04-25-2003, 03:19 AM

We call it 'nurse' or 'nursies'. My son sometimes calls my breasts my 'nursies', but he knows they are called breasts. I've never used 'boob' or any other slang for those parts of myself. My mom called them breasts and that is what they are.
#10 of 45 Old 04-25-2003, 12:44 PM

We say Chee Chee....in Mayan, to nurse is called Choo Choo, so I use that and DS says Tsu Tsu because he can't say Choo Choo.

The older kids in my family (nieces and nephews) who are no longer nursing call it Chee Chee Baba because some kids nurse and others use a bottle, so those who use a bottle get a Baba and those who nurse get a Chee Chee Baba. I have a big family, so it's common to see the older kids taking care of the little ones, they'll come by and let you know that your kid needs a Chee Chee Baba....it's cute, they know who gets what.....Jeez, was this OT or what?
#11 of 45 Old 04-25-2003, 03:11 PM

bs"d

We use "nummies" here. Sometimes "numa", but usually "nummies" or "nummy". Dd is pre-verbal, but she definitely know what "nummies" means. I like being nummy...
#12 of 45 Old 04-25-2003, 10:27 PM

My son Noah (17.5 months old) calls it "mop mop." I *think* he is trying to say "milk," but "mop mop" is way cuter!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#13 of 45 Old 04-25-2003, 10:33 PM

zoey is weaned now, but tho i always asked "do you want to nurse" she started asking for "milkies" and thats what she always said...

doey milkies.
doey nee milkies (zoey needs milkies)
or just
milkiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
#14 of 45 Old 04-25-2003, 10:39 PM

Our 19 mo. old dd calls nursing "boo-a." It's her own little phrase that I think was probably derived from boob, which is what we used to call it when she was an infant (we stopped saying it around 8 mo. and started saying nurse instead). She calls her preferred side "heavy boo-a," and the lesser used side "baby boo-a," making me all the more self-conscious of my lopsidedness!

Amy, mom to Tsuneo, 09/12/01
#15 of 45 Old 04-26-2003, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Dd says "milk pleeeeeease!" , but she knows nipple and breast and loves to point them out..on eveyone
#16 of 45 Old 04-26-2003, 08:42 AM

I've always asked DD if she "wants to nurse". She calls my breasts "nursies" and my nipples "nippies". Generally, she'll just say "I want to nurse". If she's hurt or upset, she'll say "I want the nursie to help"
#17 of 45 Old 04-26-2003, 10:17 AM

We say ninny or nummies!

#18 of 45 Old 04-26-2003, 07:33 PM

I say num-nums, Xander asks for "mum- mums".

Kaye

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#19 of 45 Old 04-27-2003, 12:34 PM

My dd is weaned now, but she would say " pecho " which is spanish for breast. In spanish when a mother is nursing it is called " dando pecho " which means giving breast. She likes to point out when babies are " drinking pecho ".

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
#20 of 45 Old 04-27-2003, 12:56 PM

Ana calls it "Chi-Chi" - hence my name here

DH is Mexican, and that's what they call it I guess. I didn't care too much for it at first (I'd prefer to use 'actual' names) but now I think it's cute, especially when dd goes "Mama, Chichi... Chi-chi, mama!!"
#21 of 45 Old 04-27-2003, 04:49 PM

My son asks to "nuh see! nuh seeee!" This afternoon, dh was entertaining ds while I was on the computer. When he was ready for his nap, ds picked up the nursing pillow and trotted off to look for me. It really was cute - ds lugging this big pillow calling "nuh see!"

Sometimes he'll stop nursing to point to my nipple and say "mahk" for milk.
#22 of 45 Old 04-27-2003, 09:52 PM

We have always called it Nynee.Littlebit has started calling it Nursies some now. I was up doing something the other day and he looked at me and said IT'S NYNEE TIME BABY!! I thought it was so cute.So of course I had to stop and feed him.
#23 of 45 Old 04-29-2003, 07:47 PM

DD (17mos now) calls it "ny-ny" which is similar to the chinese word for milk. I have been teaching her how to sign for it, and sometimes she does the right sign, other times it's just a clenched little hand that she holds up high to make sure I see it! No matter how she indicates she wants to nurse, there is always a little mischievious smile she gives me--it's really cute!
#24 of 45 Old 04-29-2003, 08:42 PM

Too cute you all! My kids have all had different ways of asking, my first son would say "nuhs" like he was trying to say "nurse" but his own little way. #2 called it "moy", she was trying to say MORE, I would always ask her between sides "do you want more?" so she picked up on the "more". #3 didn't really ask, he would just get in my lap and scooch down into the nursing position with a little grin on his face and pat my chest. #4 seems to respond to "nursies" which her older brother (#3) now calls it. He is always asking her "do you want nursies?" Now that she is almost 14 months she will run to me, get in position and press her face into my chest, look up at me and laugh, stick her hand down my shirt, or try to lift it. I can't wait to hear her word for it when she starts talking.
#25 of 45 Old 04-29-2003, 08:51 PM

Too cute you all! My kids have all had different ways of asking, my first son would say "nuhs" like he was trying to say "nurse" but his own little way. #2 called it "moy", she was trying to say MORE, I would always ask her between sides "do you want more?" so she picked up on the "more". #3 didn't really ask, he would just get in my lap and scooch down into the nursing position with a little grin on his face and pat my chest. #4 seems to respond to "nursies" which her older brother (#3) now calls it. He is always asking her "do you want nursies?" Now that she is almost 14 months she will run to me, get in position and press her face into my chest, look up at me and laugh, stick her hand down my shirt, or try to lift it. I can't wait to hear her word for it when she starts talking.
#26 of 45 Old 04-30-2003, 06:31 AM

My 2 yo calls it nurse. "Nurse me Mommy." He calls my breasts nurses, as did my dd. In the the middle of the night , he might say, "where's my nurse? Oh, there's my nurse." He is very verbal. One day, he said, I want my nursey nursey. He was being silly. None of us ever call it that! It is funny what they come up with. Before my dd was 2, she would call it ma for more. And as a little one, I called it side, as in my mom asking do I want the other side.
#27 of 45 Old 04-30-2003, 01:11 PM

Okay, it I already answered this, please just blame it on pg brain.

We call it Juice. When she was little, we called it Momma Juice - a friend of mine calls Cows milk, Cow Juice, and explained to her adopted daughter that MaryRose was having Momma Juice; and well it stuck.

Now she yells JUICE - no one is the wiser.
#28 of 45 Old 05-01-2003, 08:26 PM

my little guy called it nurse to start(well, he signed for it first, the sign for milk), then nursie, now its nursiepursie (said real fast as if its one word) this came from me actually. one day he was nursing and i said, too bad your name isnt pursie, then we could call you nursie pursie. well, he thougth it was a good idea bc it stuck and thats what he calls it now.

he is so funny. and yes, he says it anywhere he wants, and no, i dont care, lol!
#29 of 45 Old 05-02-2003, 12:41 AM

bailey calls them "na-nas", i have always called them this. i just figured other kids say ba-ba early on for bottle, so why couldn't my kid say na-na for her nursies? So it stuck, and luckly no one is the wiser. in public people think she is saying ma-ma, but in all realtiy she is saying na-na. at the zoo the other day she kept asking for na-nas and i said no, cause i was with my mil and sil, who think bf past just a few months is sick and disgusting, and since i said no she stood up and screamed "MA-MA NA-NAS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!" that was the first time she ever said please. it was so cute. my mil was like, what does she want? i lied, and said she was tired, walked away and nursed her, and she was happy. i just love the phrase na-nas!!!!!!!!!!!!
#30 of 45 Old 05-02-2003, 01:54 AM

Hi, Mamas
This is so embarrassing! Usually 2 yo ds, Sky, says, "Want milkies, Mama" and softly touches my chest, but about a month ago we were wrestling (well, he was tackling me!) and one of his elbows landed (OW!) and I yelled, "My titty!" So now he has a new, fun word to yell out in public when he wants to nurse! And don't try to tell him not to say something, that just makes him say it louder! Needless to say, my husband finds this very humorous!

Gentle, mama to Sky Ryan born 3/12/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page