Another nipple piercing Q - for those who've had. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-21-2006, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got both my nipples pierced in June -- or I should say, my DP got my nipples pierced in June (I didn't really care much either way, but he wanted 'em, so he paid for 'em). Then, I found out that I was pregnant in September.

Baby is due in mid-May and I still haven't taken the piercings out b/c DP doesn't want me to take them out at all, let alone yet.

From what I can tell, the piercings are pretty much healed (very little discharge, no pain or tenderness) and have been for a while.

I am not posting to see if people think it would be OK to leave them in & BF; because I already know that I do not want to risk that. But I am curious how soon people (esp. those with experience) would recommend I take them out. Do others think there's a risk of infection if I leave it til the last month?

Hmm.. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-21-2006, 08:32 PM

My friend took her's out right away, b/c as her boobs grew her nipples hurt more. Once you take them out you're going to have to get them repierced though. CONGRATS! I hope your baby becomes a vegan anarchist just like his/her mommy!
#3 of 10 Old 11-21-2006, 09:03 PM

Have you tried asking a piercing place? They might know.
I wasn't pierced there, but my nips got really really big, so I would imagine the hole getting stretched if you don't change to a bigger stud or hoop. I left my navel ring in the entire pregnancy and my piercing hole is really streched outta shape.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#4 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 11:12 AM

I had both of mine pierced about a year before I became pregnant. I ended up taking both piercings out by the end of the 1st trimester b/c my nipples became sore and the piercings just felt irritating.
#5 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 01:51 PM

I think the pp's have some good points. I know that my nipples were certainly sore during my pregnancy and definitely the first several weeks of nursing! There is also the "sprinkler" effect to think about. Once the milk starts flowing (or colostrum if you leak in your pregnancy), it will often come out the piercing holes, often witha lot of force, which can be awful confusing and awkward for a new babe. Even though my nipple piercings had healed by the time I got pregnant, I still get some odd flow through the healed holes at times.

Also, I would worry about the possibility of infection sooner than later. By that I mean if it were me, I would take the piercings out now so they had a chance to heal, rather than risk a serious infection later once you are breastfeeding. They will most likely have to be repierced anyways, so why not give them the lonest time to heal?

And another thing...it is *your* body, not your DP's. I don't think he really has a say in it whether he paid for them or not. *YOU* are the one that has to worry about the pain and discomfort and possible infections, not him. That is unless *he* is planning on latching the little one on as well...

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#6 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 08:47 PM

My nipples were pierced for a few years before I got pregnant. I took mine out when I was about 3 months along. My nips were sore and they had gotten much bigger...the 1/2" barbells were far too small for the job by then!

Your nipples should be well healed by this point, so take them out whenever you want. If the holes are healed, when you take the jewelry out you will be left with a fistula. The fistula does not need to close over to successfully nurse. You might have more places for the milk to come out, but your nursing will be fine. My holes are still open, and DD has no problems nursing. When she weans, I plan on tapering the piercings open again. Well-established piercings often only need to be tapered, re-piercing is sometimes unnecessary.
#7 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I would definitely take them out if they were sore but at this point they aren't bothering me at all. I still have my original oversize barbells in from when they were pierced, so perhaps they're allowing more room for growth/swelling than yours did.

My thoughts were kind of torn between the two different suggestions folks have given here. On one hand, I thought the sooner they come out the sooner they might heal over and cause no problems; but on the other hand I thought if I left them in for the duration, as long as the piercing hole was healed (is that what a "fistula" is?) they should be equally as fine. I think they're pretty much healed now, it's really easy to tell by whether there's still any tenderness. For example, my bridge piercing feels like it's never going to heal, it's still really tender.

I guess I'll just keep all this in mind and keep an eye on the situation. Thanks everyone!
#8 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 10:04 PM

I took mine out before I ever became pregnant, so I don't really have any advice about that. I was worried about scar tissue and breastfeeding (and really wishing I hadn't ever gotten pierced), but I didn't have any problems, except for a lot of leaking
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#9 of 10 Old 11-23-2006, 04:05 AM

I guess I am in the minority here . . . I took mine out the evening before I gave birth. Mine were very well-healed (had been pierced for several years when I got pregnant), and gave me no problems during pregnancy. I took them out because removing and replacing them every time I nursed would've been ridiculous.

I miss 'em, though. Planning on getting re-pierced once I am all done having (and nursing) babies, though that is likely more than a decade away.
#10 of 10 Old 11-23-2006, 04:16 AM

The wise folks at BME say that you can leave them in whenever and how long you want to. You need to remove them *while* nursing so the baby doesn't choke on them, but otherwise it doesn't matter.

babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page