Immune System Boosters while nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-22-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sick with a cold/flu virus, and want to know what is safe to take while nursing, and how much? Vitamin C, E, Selenium, Zinc, Echinacea?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 11-22-2006, 02:02 PM

I know that echinacea and Vitamin C are safe, although if you can get the Sodium Ascorbate version it is better (there is a great thread on the vaccine board about it). You might want to check out kellymom.com there is some good info there about what is safe to take when sick.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#3 of 6 Old 11-23-2006, 12:14 AM

have you heard of Emergen-C?

I started taking 2-3 glasses of these, along with my grippe formula of homeopathics from my dhm when my throat started hurting and so far I've had a VERY mild cold and my 5 week old seems to be ok too.
#4 of 6 Old 11-23-2006, 01:13 AM

Enchincea is best at the very start of a cold/flu. Once it has a grasp on you it is best to take vitamin C rich herbs. Rose hips are good. Elderberries have C and are antiviral. Hyssop is amazing for colds and safe for babies. Use tea or tincture. Ginger and lemon tea is a favorite for colds. Usnea tincture may be hard to find, but I have found it indespensable when dealing with colds. It is a powerful yet safe antibiotic. Be well.
#5 of 6 Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I feel like a mac-truck ran over me, and my throat hurts so bad I can barely swallow. I had the Dr. do a check for strep in me and both kids, and it was negative, thankfully.

I have some echinacea with rose-hips and elderberries, as well as some vitamin C, and emergen-C. I'll get right on it, Thanks!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#6 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 07:53 PM

Please more info here! My "go-to's" are oil of oregano and thieves oil. Just googled it and oregano will cut my milk supply?!?! Can't find anything on thieves... Elderberry syrup is safe? What else can I do???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page