Would you NIP at a wedding? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by star2589 View Post
I agree. I'm not suggesting that the child should go hungry! all I'm saying is that if she is worried about a conflict, its better to talk about it before the wedding than after.
Really, with this additude, you will be always asking ANYONE, if it is OK to feed your baby. A wedding is really no different than any other "event".

I'm approaching nusing almost 11 years straight, I simply nurse when needed.

mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinneyah View Post
wow, mary!

i may have to come down to lincoln to meet you now! we've had our differences regarding other topics, but everything you've said here about bf'ing and NIP echoes how i feel
Thank you...I'm not sure what differences you are referring too...but I'm glad your enjoying my posts!!! Thanks so much for your kind words!!

Feel free to come visit Lincoln..anytime...we are in the middle of the county.

Best regards,
Mary
#93 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 02:10 AM

You bet I would! Why wouldn't I????!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#94 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 02:33 AM

I haven't read the other replies and I know the wedding has already passed, but I would and have nip at a wedding. And dd was 14 months at the time too, so past the age a lot of people think you should wean.

Nobody said a thing.
#95 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula mary View Post
Thank you...I'm not sure what differences you are referring too...but I'm glad your enjoying my posts!!! Thanks so much for your kind words!!

Feel free to come visit Lincoln..anytime...we are in the middle of the county.

Best regards,
Mary
i'm in omaha

we had a run-in a few months ago re: UC.

all that aside, i am enjoying your posts in this thread! i find myself nodding right along and saying "yes, exactly!"

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#96 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 03:03 AM

Of course.

We were just at a surprise 60 th birthday party. I bf my almost 19 month old at the dinner table. I ignore people when I NIP so they can look and learn without feeling uncomfortable

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#97 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 04:19 AM

Yes and have.....

I also would feel NO need to ask ANYONE for permission to feed my baby. I don't think that breast feeding is anything to be ashamed of, hidden, or embarassed about.

I'm not breast feeding to make a political statement, although sometimes I feel like I am. I breast feed because it is the absolute best thing I can do for her nutrition. I could list all the great things about breast feeding, but people on here know these.

By my choice, I dress in separates which facilitate modest nursing, but sometimes some breast flashes. OOPS. Oh well.

Basically I nurse DD wherever we happen to be. I have sought out less than open places to nurse. For example, at a church talent show, I sat in the back of the room, by choice. DD can be highly distractable, plus I don't like nursing right next to someone I don't know. However, other parents thought that was the "take your noisy babies to sway" area and quite a crowd developed.

I've also nursed at a funeral and viewing. I chose to leave the viewing because an auntie was being a , and I wanted to remove her from the situation. Had the family chaos not been going on I would have nursed her right there. At the funeral, my MIL wanted to hold DD. I pointed out that DD wanted to nurse and I was sitting toward the back of the family, where all the other people with young children were sitting. Again, by my personal preference, I'd rather not nurse next to a stranger, but will if I have to, ie at an NBA game. MIL was like "is that respectful" because we are LDS and this is a catholic funeral. I said that if I will breast feed in my own church I sure am breast feeding in a catholic church because I'm doing my best to care for my baby, which is what God wants anyway. I also said, with a smirk, It's not the first time He has seen them, Jesus was breast feed.

I've also nursed at the table at a catholic ladies lunch, with the monsignor a chair away. At the end of the meal he told me what a miracle my baby was (we had talked about her preemie start) and how he wished more women in their area would nurse. We talked about ways to increase this. This was with a priest at least 70.
#98 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 PM

I nursed at a wedding when J was 7 months. There were two other NIP mamas there so I was in good company! There was also a room that was set aside for the moms to nurse/change the babies and for them to nap, if necessary. At one point I did move while I was nursing because the photographer was taking a bunch of pictures in the area and I didn't want my boob to be a centerpiece in the wedding album. It wouldn't have been an issue except that the flash was distracting J and she kept popping off so I was fully exposed.

I used the wedding as an excuse to get a nice nursing dress from Japanese Weekend!
#99 of 99 Old 12-10-2006, 02:57 PM

Absolutly! I nursed dd at my OWN wedding in fact! DURING the ceremony! LOL I've nursed everywhere I can think of and weddings are no different. My child is far more important than anyone elses "discomfort." The sooner its normalized in this country the better! And that won't happen if we "hide" in fear of making others uncomfortable.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page