? for mamas who breastfed and delivered vaginal - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
I didn't have to fight to do these things. I was encouraged and supported. Not to beat a dead horse (the dead horse being this same birth discussion I keep getting into that drives me insane : ) but not all hospital experiences involve fighting. Some are very peaceful.

pauline
Notice I said to be prepared -in CASE- you needed to. I realize in some places there is no fight. Here there would be. I'm happy for you that in your area there isn't.

-Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mama don't get stadol!!! i got it with ds2 he was in the NICU after birth because moms are not supposed to get stadol if they have a chance of delivering within 2 hours because it does something to the babies lungs and they have a hard time breathing on thier own. ds was in the NICU on oxygen for a few hours. It was HORRIBLE for me. I felt so guilty. please stay far FAR away from stadol
#33 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 01:13 AM

I think this varies by hospital, but I had a private room and my husband and older child were able to room in with us too, though we chose for me to stay there by myself overnight rather than have a three-year-old running around my hospital room. The nurse was very helpful, though she was quite busy because every other mother on the floor that night had had a c-section and was therefore helpless! We checked out 36 hours after delivery.

Nealy
Mama to Thales, 12/9/02, and Lydia, 2/26/06
#34 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom View Post
Mama Poot, Have I told you lately that I luuuurve you??? You sound so much like me on subjects I am passionate about.
: Aww really? You know, at the end of my 2nd pregnancy an LC and friend of mine loaned me two books- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and another called "Effects of Birthing Practices on Breastfeeding- Protecting the Mother-Baby Continuum" . That book really opened my eyes to how modern medicine is a recipe for disaster. I kept finding myself reading things and going "Oh my god I would have never thought that XYZ would have caused a problem but it sure did!" ( in regards to my first birth ). OP if you see this, see if you can find a copy of that book. It should be required reading for anyone giving birth anywhere other than at home, IMO.
#35 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 01:01 PM

I gave birth in a UK hospital. I did have a private room, but dh was not allowed to room in. The rooms that were not private still had a curtain you could pull around your area for privacy. Most hospitals in the US ususally have the privacy curtain for each bed.
#36 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 01:03 PM

And like another poster said, just because I was in a hospital didn't mean I coldn't move. I had a midwive, birthing ball, chair, tub, I could move and was encouraged to be in any position I wanted. I didn't get an IV or any other drugs or hooked up to any machines at all.
#37 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady101 View Post
And like another poster said, just because I was in a hospital didn't mean I coldn't move. I had a midwive, birthing ball, chair, tub, I could move and was encouraged to be in any position I wanted. I didn't get an IV or any other drugs or hooked up to any machines at all.
But again. That was in the UK, not the US. THere is a VAST difference in birthing culture between the two.

Quote:
This last statement is a generalization and certainly not true of all hospitals. Please don't let people scare you. You can go to the hospital and walk around, dance, rock, take baths, showers, ect . . . . Just like a woman having a homebirth, a woman having a hospital birth should go into it with postive birthing thoughts in her head, not fear.

I support you mama. You will do just fine.
It's not a generalization. It's my experience, and the experience of other women in my area that I know. Some people have lovely hospital births. MANY don't. Being prepared for that eventuality isn't bad.

Quote:
I didn't have to fight to do these things. I was encouraged and supported. Not to beat a dead horse (the dead horse being this same birth discussion I keep getting into that drives me insane : ) but not all hospital experiences involve fighting. Some are very peaceful.

pauline
Pauline. I'm betting my your name you're in Portland. Isn't the PNW known for being fairly crunchified and liberal in birth circles? Isn't it possible that your experience is the exception, and not the rule?

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#38 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 01:34 PM

Don't worry! You'll do great! Not all hospitals are horrible!

I think it really depends on the hospital and the particular nurses on staff at that time.

I had both my boys in a hospital - both were medically necessary inductions with pitocin. I had no pain meds. One labor was 30 hours long, the other was 4 hours.

My insurance only paid for a shared room, but with both births I really lucked out and was the only one birthing at the time, so my shared room was private!

My partner was allowed to stay the night - they had a nifty reclining chair/cot for him to sleep on. Baby slept with me in the hospital bed.

The nurses were horrible the first time - I was young (19), and I think they were "punishing" me, if you will.
The second time I was 25 and there was none of that punishing attitude - and a whole different batch of nurses. The nurses were so great the second time! They left us alone at night and didn't bat an eye about me having the babe sleep in the bed with me. They also applauded me for not circ-ing and didn't even give me a hard time about refusing eye goop, Hep. shot, vit. K, etc.

Neither time was I asked to be confined to a bed. I walked, showered, birth-balled, you name it! They even had an external fetal monitor that was remote - so it could be strapped on with a big cloth band and you could walk around - no wires! But I refused it anyway!

Both times, my decision to BF was strongly supported, and had I needed it, there was an LC who popped in occasionally.

The only thing I would change, was there was no tub. Although, I think they got one shortly after my time there.

Have a really good birth plan written, make lots of copies. Check out where you're birthing - it will help if you can see some familiar faces when your special day arrives!!

Good luck to you! You'll be fine, whatever way it goes!

ETA: I'm in Vermont, for what it's worth...

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#39 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Hospital births are not always so bad. Both of mine were wonderful experiences that I remember and cherish. Just be sure to talk to your hospital and doctor before hand. Get it all out there, plan what you can, and when you get to the hospital, you (your husband) can always say, "we'll we went through this beforehand and we were told, "x, y, z". We agreed before hand that I wouldn't be the one standing up for us, he would be.

Private room/HMO:
I had HMO insurance and a private room for my first daughter's birth-that was 5 years ago. I got a private labor and delivery room with baby #2 8 months ago and was moved to a recovery room where we all stayed together and moving the baby to the nursery was never suggested. Medication was not offered (I asked for it, my husband did his best to encourage me to not get it, the nurse didn't intervene--I went for it--my choice).

Breastfeeding:
I don't remember them ever acting like not breastfeeding was even an option. They helped me (even changed a few diapers) and then checked on us.

Privacy:
You have to stand up for yourself. After not sleeping and getting no longer than 45 minute intervals-we put up a sign on our door (after talking to the nurse) to ask people not to come in unless it was truly necessary.

Non-medicated birth in a hospital:
I had the most wonderful nurse in the hospital who supported us through 12 hours of non-medicated labor. She filled the tub for me, got me a birth ball, massaged my back, complimented my husband on how well he was supporting me, never offered pain relievers, and never once made me stay in bed. I got a hep lock upon check-in and was able to have the birth experience I communicated. I didn't make anything else an option-it just was what it was and I was given a fabulous nurse and have a fabulous husband who was my voice.

Suggestions:
Know what you want, do your background research, communicate what you want, and if they offer otherwise, just listen and say, "no, we want to do it this way." This always works for me-it's not combative, it's assertive, and you'll likely get what you want. This got me a wonderful nurse, stopped the nurses from following my doctor's orders to induce labor (this was at an earlier appt.--but it was the nurses I talked to who went to bat for me), and left me with pride that things weren't just done to me.
#40 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 03:44 PM

I had a semi-private room (which means I had one roommate at a time). I had two other new moms in my room when I was in there (all of 2 days) and we all three were BFing. I don't think it was ever mentioned that anything else was an option. I don't remember being asked if I was going to breast or bottle feed - it was just assumed I'd be BFing all along, I think. My L&D nurse was the one who helped us get latched on and showed us a couple of holds after her initial latch on right after birth.

There's a cloth curtain style partition between roommates. I have no idea what my second roommate looked like - she could have been purple with green polka dots for all I know. I stayed in my section with the curtains closed or was out walking the halls with my DH and/or the babe.

DH was not allowed to stay the night, but he was allowed to be there much later than "visitor's hours." No one ever told him he had to go, or anything, but my one very inconsioderate roommate the second night had to be told her SO, brother and father (??? odd, right? No women wanted to stay, but three men did?) could not stay the night when she wasn't in a private room.

Write up a birthplan. Tell them what you hope for. You don't have to assume hospital birth = medicated birth. Tell them in writing you want to BF and that you may need help doing it - that's what the lactation consultant is there for!
#41 of 47 Old 12-08-2006, 04:11 PM

I did not have a private room and I do think that it did inhibit my ability to nurse the first few hours. I was much happier once I was home

As far as drugs go...........since how your OB is "allowing" you to have a vaginal birth I would NOT use any drugs, not get an IV and NOT allow your self to be induced. From what you have posted you will be very lucky to escape a c-section with that doc and the fewer interventions the better in your case.

Good luck
#42 of 47 Old 12-09-2006, 01:54 AM

I don't have time to read all the replies. little one is starting to stir...

I had a home birth and nursed seconds after her birth, while the cord was still attached.

I really didn't care who was there, it was an amazingly powerful moment.

I can't begin to imagine what it would be like in the hospital without the privacy of my home, but trust me you very soon after birth don't think of your breasts as sex objects anymore. You lovingly become "Bessie the cow" - you should feel no shame baring all to nurse your daughter.

Good luck!

And as a first time mom, who went the "all natural" route at home, you can do it!
#43 of 47 Old 12-09-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleesmom View Post
Well i got the news on monday at my OB appt that he doesnt think it is necessary to do a C-section. so now it will be another vaginal delivery. I want to try to go with out a epi. maybe try stadol?
But my question is for mamas that had vaginal birth and breastfed. Did you have your own private room at hospital? Did your hubby room in with you? If you didnt have a private room was hubby still allowed to room in? and if you breastfed did you room in with baby and have a roommate? how did that work out? was the other mom breastfeeding too? any advice cause i have a feeling that i wont get a private room this time. we are gonna have Cigna HMO if that makes a difference on wheather you get a private room or not.
Haven't read the other replies, but wanted to answer your questions.

The hospitals I had my last 2 babies at has rooming in only unless your baby is in the NICU. There is no well baby nursery. Ds was at the NICU so he wasn't with me, but dd was with me all the time aside from her initial bath. The hospital ds was born at even does weights and bath in the moms room. I had a private room with dd and dh did not room in with me. It's not a common thing in the hospitals around here - unless he wanted to sleep in a chair...lol.

At the hospitals around here most moms at least start out bf'ing, but even if I'd had a roommate that wasn't bf'ing, I wouldn't have done things differently. Babies cry, whether they're ff or bf, and they wake at all different hours. There should be a curtain separating the beds so that you can have privacy and your own space.

About the painkillers, my 1st dd I had a shot of morphine, then asked for an epidural... was given laughing gas while waiting for the anesthesiologist, then was dialating too fast for the epidural and ended up not getting one. Dd #2 I decided to go natural since I figured the morphine hadn't helped last time anyways. I hired a doula to help support me. With ds I didn't have any painkillers or an epidural, but I did use the laughing gas again - not sure of the technical name for it... If you do need pain relief, that's the direction I would suggest... it doesn't cross the placenta, clears from your body within a couple breaths, you can start and stop it at will just by choosing whether or not to breath it... and really all it does is relaxes you to let your body do it's job. Which is what I really needed with ds because of the high risk delivery and not being able to move and the stress of knowing I could end up with a c/s at any moment...

So anyways, those are my thoughts. Personally I might chit chat with my roommate, because that's just the way I am, but I wouldn't change how I did things with my babe. I don't really think it matters what your roomie is doing since you'll be in and out of hospital quickly and likely never see your roomie again, so if she gets ticked at you, oh well.

And if your hospital doesn't automatically have you rooming in with your baby, I'd demand it - and let them know ahead of time. If it's not a common request, they may upgrade you to a private room for free.
#44 of 47 Old 12-09-2006, 04:09 PM

I had a natural Vaginal birth and breastfed my son for an extended period of time. My husband AND baby roomed in with me, our room was private, but only because we birthed as out patient in a hospital "birth center". I didnt even see any other Mom's in the day and a half I was there. The ABC was very supportive of breastfeeding and rooming in. My advice is to not worry about other Moms and if the breastfeed or not, just pull the curtain and forget they are there! Good luck, you can do it!
#45 of 47 Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 AM

I'm not necessarily trying to promote the epidural, BUT I had a wonderful birthing experience(vaginal delivery) with my own private room, with whom I roomed with DH and the baby. He only went to the nursery to get cleaned up. I had an epidural and had a relatively easy delivery. It did NOT slow down my labor or make DS any sleepier than any baby whom has just completed the monumental task of being born. I nursed him with the cord attached for a few minutes then he was wisked away for a minute to be checked out. I had no truouble whatsoever with breastfeeding while at the hospital. The lactation consulants were great!!! They, along with DH and my family gave me all the support that I needed to successfully breastfeed while at the hospital. I'm glad I choose this and was able to thoroughly enjoy the birth of my son in a relaxed manner.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!!

BF'in,CS'in, BW'in Mama to DS 8/24/2005 and 5 angels. Expecting DD 10/1/2014.
#46 of 47 Old 12-10-2006, 03:38 PM

I had stadol and I liked the epidural better :

But really, with two of my births I had an intrathecal injection, it is just a quick shot in the lower back, numbs you from the waist down, and it lasts 3 hours or so and can help you get through the last part of labor, the transition labor. I let mine wear off before i started to push cause I liked being able to feel my progress at that time.

As far as nursing, you will need to be your own advocate. Nurses never suggested that I nurse following the birth, I just did it and they were fine with it. I also put a big sign on the isolette--NO formula, paci's, bottles. My last two were large babies and so they tested their blood sugar and it had to be at a certain level...when they wanted to get it up with formula, I refused the bottles and I just let the baby nurse and dribbled formula into her mouth with a syringe as a supplement. After the first day it was fine and she has had no formula since then.

As far as having someone else in there with you, they will most likely only have eyes for their baby anyway!!!!! and maybe if she is NOT the breastfeeding type, you can change her mind by breastfeeding your baby in front of her.
#47 of 47 Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 PM

Nurse as soon as possible, I was able to nurse right after dd came out and was on my belly.

Put on your birthplan no meds and that you don't want to talk to anyone about "pain management". When you're at the point you absolutely can't take it anymore, you're probably in transistion and it almost over.

Read Birthing From Within, some of the visual images really helped me, esp imagining my cervix opening up like a flower.

And like a pp said, once its over its OVER. My midwife said its only one day in all the months that you are pregnant.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page